Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Depression Thread! Woo!  (Read 8062 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: The Depression Thread! Woo!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 06:02:14 pm »

...comic...

This one I can relate to.  School especially, being a graduate student is notoriously stressful.  This also applies to work as well, however.  Sometimes I wonder if the computer science field intentionally breeds a feeling of inadequacy and lack of worth.  Pretty much everywhere you turn you'll find that there is something you're doing wrong (and that anybody with half a brain would know that), or there's something new to learn (and anybody who knows anything knows it already).  There's a pretty perpetual feeling that I'll never succeed in this field, and that any successes I've had so far were luck, not because of my abilities and not something I should expect to be able to repeat.

I'm more stressed than anything (hopefully temporarily until I graduate), and I don't suffer from depression in general.  I do however know several people who do, whether in person or online, and I extend any sympathies and support I can to anyone suffering from depression.  It's not something to be trivialized, that's for sure.  I just wish there was more I could do.  I understand that for many at least, it's not something that can just be talked or rationalized away, and I feel absolutely helpless when it comes time to, well, help people who do suffer from it.  :(

Fortunately my family members who suffer from it manage it well with medication, but I know that doesn't help everyone.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:04:13 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »

I'm not having a good time lately. I have multiple health problems including depression and anxiety.

A medication I've been on for years seems to have stopped working well for my mental symptoms. The doc is switching me to something else, but I've got a week or so thats probably going to suck as I taper off one med then can start on the other.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:59 pm »

Well, we're here for you if you want to talk. Hopefully things will start picking up for you again.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 05:51:53 am »

Well, time for the semi-regular bump, with more on the topic of depression! As I've already been asked once the question of how to talk to someone who is depressed, I'm adding a small section, with the advice I gave the last asker. This is, of course, generic - if you know the person better than just an acquaintance, you'll know how to adapt it to suit them.

Also! For depression (and other mental issues) comics, here's another one!
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:49 am »

Im starting to notice that a lot of people's negative qualities can be related to a problem they face, and not because that person is a dick. Incidentially, its very hard for me to dislike someone, well except for myself. Its very easy for me to dislike myself. Ever apologise for apologising too much?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:04 am »

Im starting to notice that a lot of people's negative qualities can be related to a problem they face, and not because that person is a dick. Incidentially, its very hard for me to dislike someone, well except for myself. Its very easy for me to dislike myself. Ever apologise for apologising too much?

Oh, yes. And I know a couple of people who do that a lot.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:53 am »

Yep, I'm notorious for that and asking if I'm being annoying to the point of that behaviour itself being annoying. In fact as much as I want to be a part of this community, I'm deathly afraid I am annnoying the crap out of everyone here everytime I post.
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 07:04:42 am »

Well, if nothing else, just rest assured that there is no annoyance whatsoever when you post on this thread. And most of the other people here on the B12 forums will be the same.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 07:09:40 am »

That being said its still terrifying talking about this. http://depressioncomix.tumblr.com/post/23315568399/depression-comix-58-nav-1-57-58-59 sums it up pretty well.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:37 am »

Indeed it does. I know that feeling myself (in fact, I've never told anyone I know in real life about my depression, so there's that), but it is important to talk about it. Not necessarily with anyone in particular. Just talking to someone about how you feel can help.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:42 am »

I've tried with many people in my life, but aside from partners, I have always hit a point where I feel like I have become to big a burden and just stop talking to them about depression related things. As for partners, all of them have failed so far, and I am starting to think my depression is a major contributing factor in that.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:04 am »

Well, if nothing else, the endless* hordes of Bay12 are always here to help you, and always ready to talk. I'm usually on here for 18 hours or so a day, and usually free to reply.

*Note - Bay12 hordes may or may not be 'endless'.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 07:29:50 am »

Heh thanks, I needed that laugh. Was starting to drag myself into a mood. Anyways I'm at work and need to get some cleaning done so I'll ttyl. Thanks for the talk ^.^

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 07:30:58 am »

Hehe, no problem. It's good to talk to someone :P

Have a good time at work, or at least as much as possible :P Talk to you later.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 02:56:42 am »

That comic is very good for summing up depression for those who may not understand it, however, reading it makes me feel pretty crappy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5