Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pantherroars a Lead Chest!  (Read 3027 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Pantherroars a Lead Chest!
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »

My butcher just spat this thing out.  Is it any good?  I know density for shields but what about plates?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pantherroars a Lead Chest!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »

A lead chest? As in a breastplate or a storage chest?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »

Breastplate
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:19:38 am »

It would be extremely heavy and not that good at deflecting weaponry, so fairly bad overall.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:44:38 am »

I'm too lazy to check the raws, but assuming Toady put in the right values and the physics simulation makes any sense at all it should be the worst metal for armor in the game.

IRL you can deform pure lead with your fingernail. Armor made out of it the would probably barely be able to hold it's own shape.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:26 am »

Although, if the name is indeed "a lead chest," it's a coffer  ???

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 02:40:31 am »

I'm unclear as to which off-metal artifacts will have net positive effects when compared to iron or steel.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:00:16 am »

I'm unclear as to which off-metal artifacts will have net positive effects when compared to iron or steel.
All I know is that while artifacts are the highest quality of anything out there that for the most part any metal that isn't iron, steel or cotton candy will not be able to compare to said metals I have just named. At least, that's what I understand. I could very well be wrong and there might be some exceptions to the rule, but that's probably because I never get artifact weapons or armor.

I usually get artifact furniture or artifact accessories for some reason as well as that one time I got an artifact mechanism and the other time I may have gotten an artifact bin. As a side note artifact furniture makes a good piece of bait for a [BUILDING_DESTROYER] because of how they can't be destroyed.

On topic, give the lead breastplate to an uppity noble and see how long they fare against something along the lines of a danger room while wearing that. For !!SCIENCE!! and stuff. Just a suggestion that I for some reason thought was kind of funny.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:18:18 am »

Shields are the only real exceptions for armor, and crossbows for weapons.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 08:01:35 am »

As a side note artifact furniture makes a good piece of bait for a [BUILDING_DESTROYER] because of how they can't be destroyed.
Actually, that would be mostly useless because those types of furniture just get toppled, and artifacts have no resistance to being toppled - the only ones that can hold off building destroyers are doors/floodgates/hatches/grates (and perhaps a few others), since building destroyers will actually try to destroy them (by damaging it until it is xwornx, Xheavily wornX, XXmangledXX, then gone), and artifacts are immune to that sort of damage.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 12:22:30 pm »

Well iron and steel are in real life the best commonly available materials for weapons and armor. DF reflects this in a general way.

The only main exception I know of is blunt weapons, which can benefit from heavy metals like lead or platinum. Even with those though hardness and such appear to be a factor, since SCIENCE seems to show relevantly light weight steel warhammers being about equal with heavier but softer silver.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 02:13:19 pm »

Well iron and steel are in real life the best commonly available materials for weapons and armor. DF reflects this in a general way.

Actually, Iron is a somewhat inferior metal for making weapons and armor IRL compared to Bronze and steel... the reason that we "graduated" from the bronze age to the iron age is that the metals needed to make bronze alloy became too rare, and because Iron is easier to work and abundant on the surface of the earth.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »

Artifacts out of halfway-decent materials will outperform all but the best steel weapons and armor of the same type.
I don't think lead counts as halfway decent, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »

It doesn't matter, because he didn't make a piece of armor. He made a chest. The OP is probably just confused.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »

Breastplate

Hm, sounds like it's a breastplate...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2