Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: World of Darkness Online  (Read 6110 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: World of Darkness Online
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

It looks dang sexy. Hopefully the gameplay will live up to the stunning physics and visuals.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:23 pm »

CCP's fine in my book.  They handled EVE pretty well, with a flat subscription rate to disuade "pay to win" but also included the "buy game time with game money" that enables a rather unique balance.  On the one hand, you can pay cash for credits and you can buy a ship that would be beyond your means.  On the other hand, only the real noobs sell game time, they're generally not the big players.  The big players are the ones who sell game cash to buy game time, and chances are their ships and their skills are good enough that they can roflstomp the cash player anyways.  So it strikes a unique balance of "the 'pay to win' is supported and at the same time put down by veteran players".  Not to mention EVE's rather handy security numbering system that allows smooth PVE or PVP or whatever floats your boat.

So yeah, as far as companies go, I'm excited about something they'd make.  If Blizzard put out a new MMO I wouldn't give two shits.  But CCP is one that catches my (large and fluffy) ear.

thats kinda not accurate about PLEX selling. Lots of established players sell PLEX because, well, I make way more money per hour at work than I do in ISK ratting or some other mind numbing mundane task. And the truth is, I like to risk nice ships in PvP. I cant be bothered to go grind for my ships any longer. I have been playing Eve since 2006. I have lots of friends in the same boat, we just sell PLEX and then go have fun when we log in instead of grinding. Honestly, I think its great and I hope they do something similar in their new game.
I got nothing

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 03:57:58 am »

I used to work at CCP, and I was somewhat disappointed when they laid off a large percentage of the world of darkness team last year (I wasn't one of them, I worked on DUST 514). I'm glad development is still going on it, because it looked quite good last time I saw it.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:20 am »

Thief. If you truly are are how far into the development cycle was it last time you saw it ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 06:07:48 am »

Keeping in mind that this was well over a year ago (maybe more than two?), it could be played and people were grouping up and so on, and it looked nice, but there wasn't too much content to actually do in-game. Mostly I remember the internal playtest suffered from timezone issues due to there being so few people involved :P
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:22:10 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 06:17:06 am »

Oh I've found a new vid for you guys if you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_xGH0v93U&feature=related

Covers a lot of info on how world of darkness is going to play.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 10:53:20 am »

I have to say, in retrospect Dust 514 currently isn't a great idea. However, everyone and their Guinea lizard probably predicts a PC port at this stage, especially with planetside 2 coming out and the amount of success that's getting. Make something even better... it's not a hard choice to make over ps3 at least, and i get the distinct feeling consoles are dying down now regardless.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 11:09:28 am »

As a developer, I'm not a fan of the PS3. At all.

Fortunately my current project is on PC :)

EDIT: I'll also add that pretty much all UE3 games can run on PC due to the nature of the integrated game/editor. This makes a PC port of any UE3 game simply a matter of fixing up some UI and controls, making a without-editor build, making an installer, etc. It's still up to the company as to whether they release a PC port or not, but it's not really that hard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:14:40 am by Thief^ »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:28 pm »

The best part about a game like this is that CCP don't have to build the most stellar game content to get their playerbase. I'm sure with the right design they could really just set this going like EVE and watch the Players make a clusterfuck of fantastic proportions. As an ex-WoD LARPer I am intrigued by the possibilities.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 01:25:56 pm »

The best part about a game like this is that CCP don't have to build the most stellar game content to get their playerbase. I'm sure with the right design they could really just set this going like EVE and watch the Players make a clusterfuck of fantastic proportions. As an ex-WoD LARPer I am intrigued by the possibilities.

I'm both intrigued and terrified. Especially the bit about Princes possibly being able to perma-kill your character. The possibilities for intrigue and dickery are immense.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »

If you can join the Sabat or the Anarchs you should be able to be mildly protected from the princes.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

Yeah but the sabbat still have bishops and the practise Dilb openly so players will be tearing of eachover throats to lower their generation when the right moment comes.

But also princes do have the chance to be dicks. But if you just stay out his way then he won't know you exist, and the prince is going to need backing from other players if the prince acts like a massive dick then he won't be keeping his position for long because players will support and veto for a new prince
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »

LaCroix wouldn't have lasted an hour in this game.

Posting to watch.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »

I disagree.You do have to remember that he had the Sheriff and quite a bit of support until he lost his shit.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 11:16:15 pm »

When you have pretty much a high ranking African Sabbat Vampire (Cannot remember the proper term) Who has a full kitted out warform, you pretty much hold a good bit of control
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4