Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: World of Darkness Online  (Read 6115 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
World of Darkness Online
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »

Hey guys, i know this is quite old news but i saw that we have not had a thread on it ( i did do a search :P ) and decided to compile all the information i can find out about this new game by CCP

Ok so the guys at CCP bought out white wolf and the company's are now one and a world of darkness MMO is definitely in creation no doubt, right now the devs are being very low key about it and hardly no information has been brought out about it, but in a semi recent interview the guys at CCP said the game was very much still in development and that they were even at the stage of playing shards of the game in the office. 

Also all of the world will be from the vampire masquerade and the old generation of books. Im also sure i read somewhere that all 13 clans will be implemented

So here's my collected info so far:

From the Wiki
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Straight from the Dev's

Clip from penny arcade

The game will have a single-shard world, with sandbox territorial warfare for control of cities mirroring EVE Online's nullsec warfare. Developers investigated using real cities for the game but found that "real cities were generally boring." Presenters told fans that the team will "be using stylised versions, but they will be named after real cities." Each city will be lorded over by a player prince, who will under rare circumstances be potentially subjected to permadeath. The world's original vampire clans will be available on release, and CCP confirmed that it won't be using vampire generations as a form of leveling system but instead will be doing something different with it.

players will begin the game as a mortal, but as time goes on, they’ll have the option to become a part of vampire clan. The information also indicates that the devs will add a Torpor system, which will explain why players don’t die and are just out for a bit. But the post also indicated that there will be a chance for players to experience “final death” or “perma-death”, so choosing your fights wisely may be advisable.

Also as far as i can tell all positions of power will be up for grabs, so you will have a bishop and arch bishop, harpies and justicars and the feared black hand.

Vids:

Character models : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_KVNrxtRI&feature=related

Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odkZHjKOY8g

in game ( only environment ) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6PZBSxspvc&feature=related

Knowing CCP i bet they will be able to pull of this game and make it feel like true Vampire the masquerade and have it very immersive. i cant wait to play this game and its a long time off yet but i have faith !

i for one cant wait to commit Diablerie.

As always expand and discuss

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:44:04 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Darkness Online
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:00 pm »

My alignment prevents me from giving ccp real money.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »

This is actually pretty much the only MMO I'm slightly interested in, mostly because its done by CCP.  I haven't actually heard a lot of details about it though, which makes me wonder if its going to be scrapped.  Or worse, free to play.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

neither, the penny arcade thing is recent, development is going on read the spoilers!!, also the devs stated that they are keeping very quiet about development, and i really doubt CCP would buy white wolf to then scrap the game :P

The penny arcade preview was done on Mon, Apr 2, 2012
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:53:28 pm by ScriptWolf »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:16 pm »

Looking forward to it, whenever it releases. Never tried a CCP game so I guess I can take the risk. Some of the dev's bullet points sound untenable. You can't make a game that tries to be everything WoW is not then say you're trying to make room for casual gamers. The two just don't equate to me. You can't make a game with a foundation based on org v. org, few quests and then turn around and say you want small scale activities for casuals. Maybe they have something genius in store. But to me that reads like a wishlist still.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »

Looking forward to it, whenever it releases. Never tried a CCP game so I guess I can take the risk. Some of the dev's bullet points sound untenable. You can't make a game that tries to be everything WoW is not then say you're trying to make room for casual gamers. The two just don't equate to me. You can't make a game with a foundation based on org v. org, few quests and then turn around and say you want small scale activities for casuals. Maybe they have something genius in store. But to me that reads like a wishlist still.

Maybe the casuals just hang out in a nightclub leveling their dancing skills with a Dance Dance Revolution style mini-game.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:29:09 pm »

I love what i'm hearing and tyhat they're finally moving to a dynamic world rather then players being the only ones to affect certain parts of space and NPC's the other. However, they had better not pull an eve on the combat. No tab targeting, and more twitch please, not just button mashing. Also, i hope they do the other supernaturals soon. I really want to start as a mortal with the full selection of supernaturals to choose form and seeing where i end up rather then just picking one.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »

hmm i read somewhere that combat will focus on displines and melee rather than gun play, also the way the world is i highly doubt combat will be anything close to eve's.

also another interesting bit of info i read while trawling for information is that players will be building the world around them.

for example a player can create a piece of art work and then have it displayed in one of the vampire safe havens, or a nosferatu building and improving his sewer network and making it more of a home, so players will be influcing the citys around them and dynamically changing them with building new buildings among other things.

i used the artwork and nosferatu one because that was the examples the dev's gave aswell 

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:42:14 pm »

Actually what kind of supernaturals are in WoD anyway?
I remember there are Werewolves a dizzying varety of vampires and Mages.
I thig where was a heck of a lot more than this tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »

vampires
werewolfs
changlings
wraiths
Demons
God chosen Human hunters
Mages

( these where the main ones where you had the core rule books ) but there are many many more creatures in the world of darkness. The player can even play as a gargoyle

EDIT: wow that was a ninja :P i was about to put mages which i forgot :P

also all these core rule books then had many other types of creatures in them

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:21 pm »

You forgot Mages.

I guess there's also the Wyrm. Can't forget about them.

Gargoyles to me falls under the loose category of "constructs." Which can be anything from Gargoyles to Blood Golems.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:51:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »

true, but still counted as a magic creature in the WoD, any way im sure i read in the 20th edition of Vampire the masquerade that gargoyles are a type of vampire

from the wiki :

"The Gargoyles are a bloodline created by the Tremere as servitors. Although technically not a Tremere bloodline, the bloodline is largely under their control. "

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »

While smiting evil with a blasting rod in one hand and a revolver in the other has its merits, i already have a virtual world i can influence from top to bottom. It's called dwarf fortress.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 03:00:17 pm »

Damn it let's organise a world of darkness game!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 03:04:50 pm »

Maybe the casuals just hang out in a nightclub leveling their dancing skills with a Dance Dance Revolution style mini-game.  :D

With CCP in charge, thats more than possible (remember station walking for eve?)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4