Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [RP]Freedom - Fame and Fortune (3/4)  (Read 5407 times)

[RP]Freedom - Fame and Fortune (3/4)
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:41:44 am »

Backstory:

You are a serf. Or at least you were, before the you and three of your closest buddies managed to sneak away from your noble lord. You grew up there as children, under the rule of a tyrannical noble. Your parents worked on the farm all their lives, until they died. But, farming is for chumps. Now you're off to do whatever you want! Maybe adventure or something. Get some fame for killing orcs and then become a knight. Get babes and spread your genes... There's always the life of a hunter, or a thief... Or you could go back to farming, on your own land! Maybe hire some chumps to do it for you. Basically you're free now. At least, if the noble doesn't send his knights after you... You should probably stay low for the time being. You're also EXTREMELY poor. So poor that you have nothing but the tattered, sack-cloth clothes on your back. That's IT. You don't even have shoes... All you know is that you're hoofing it to the nearest town before you can do anything. Shoes would be a good investment. The roads are pretty rocky...

Notes:

Basically the world is medieval Europe (feudalism, knights, nobles, a king, etc.), but with a little fantasy. No king arthur stuff, but all the humans have decided to band together and fight under one king. It's all a means to an end, as everyone needs protection from the Orcish warbands that constantly assault the fringes of Human civilization. There's a grand army, it's always looking for recruits to fight the Greenskin menace.

The king oversees the capital city and settles disputes between nobles. He also assigns titles and recruits mercenary companies for use in defense of the various human settlements. The king's favor with the noble's is good, and with his people is better. He doesn't have any worries that the Orcish menace will penetrate his defenses, but he doesn't have enough soldiers to push into their lands as well as leave his people well defended. Instead, he works to smooth tensions as the various nobles seek protection and ask for more soldiers. The forces may be spread thin, but they are adequate for defense.

The Human kingdom is large, and many nobles are selling land to independent farmers. The king will also give out plots of land to those who have the means to settle it and the coin for the title of noble. Nobles are also always looking for adventurers to help protect them from the Orcs. Rumor has it that they pay pretty good coin, and sometimes if you're successful enough, they'll name you a knight and buy you armor! Then you get to live there for free and eat and stuff. That's a pretty sweet life...

Farming, mining, and logging are probably the most difficult professions to get a start in, but they can be very profitable industries for the determined. Most nobles get born into it, but many come from these humble professions. Many nobles have a finger in each industry in order to expand faster and be more independent. Though, much can be said for those who focus on one industry and sell their remainder for whatever they don't already have.

You four can stick together if you'd like, but you're under no responsibility to do so. You can split your separate ways, become various famous people, then vie with eachother for power. You could become bandits or guardsmen for a town, you could even be a chef if you wanted! Whatever you choose, remember you're a poor, title-less peasant without shoes. Or food.

Hunger and thirst will take their toll, so keeping up food supplies is very important. Your characters can go three days without water and five days without food before losing consciousness and slipping into a coma. Also try to keep in mind that NPC's need food and water too, so if you're a bandit lord with a group of henchmen, you'll need to keep them fed or at least instruct them to keep themselves fed. Each turn is one day, so all characters will automatically consume one food ration and one water ration each turn unless they run out or specify otherwise. There may be times when the players will want many turns to have passed at once (for example, building a castle or palisade). I'll allow it as long as the other players have something to do in that time, and everyone has the right amount of food for it. Basically, you can't skip a month ahead if you don't have a month in rations. Alternatively, a noble who has 4 peasants couldn't skip ahead a month unless he had 150 units of food and water saved up (30 of each for himself and 30 for each peasant), or the ability to readily harvest that food over the month. In any case, if anyone's hunger or thirst levels get too high, death is a definite possibility.

Mechanics like combat, time, health, healing, crafting, and building will all be handled as we come to them. Right now, the only systems you need to care about are item quality, hunger, and thirst. I'm planning on doing the rolling on a d10 system.

Systems:
Spoiler: Rolling (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Item Quality (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hunger and Thirst (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tiredness (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Currency (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Difficulty (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
So yeah, four players, just say what you want your name and age to be and you're in. Try to keep it medieval-y...

Spoiler: PLAYERS (3/4) (click to show/hide)

I might add more slots if I feel the game is moving quickly, but I'd like to get a few players started and see how the pace feels. I'm willing to get up to 12 players, depending on what the players I have decide to do with their lives. If it's full, keep checking for new player slots to be added. There will be a waitlist if we fill the player slots.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:09:23 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.
Re: Freedom - Fame and Glory
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:22 am »

Just woke up from a very restful sleep, so I'll be awake for a while today for turns. That is, if anyone is interested in a sandboxy medieval fantasy roleplay.
Hey, look what I did!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RP]Freedom - Fame and Glory (0/4)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:52 am »

Probably joining as soon as I get a grip on some things. >.>
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Re: [RP]Freedom - Fame and Fortune (1/4)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:04:41 am »

Yay, a player! There doesn't seem to be much of a rush for this RP... Which I think is weird because it's the most open and freeform adventure that I've come up with yet. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, each turn is another day, unless a lot of things that take a lot of time are happening at once, in which case I'll speed up the turns so that everyone can play at once still.
Edited OP
A LOT
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:39:51 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

My name shall be Barthole Altheon. I guess.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

I shall be Bathale Arthelon!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:15 pm »

Then I'll just do the turn while we wait for more people...

PLAYERS (2/4)
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

After a day's travel you arrive, with blistered feet, to the village of Covingaunt. Surely this place has things to do other than farming! It is early morning.

There's a public well in the middle of town which you will automatically drink out of each day if you don't have any other means of getting water (unless you specify otherwise in your turn). While you're slurping down a handful of water, you overhear the people chattering nearby and think that you'll be able to learn about some jobs from them.

You're right. You hear that there's a blacksmith who needs help tending his forge and he's got some coin to give to anyone who's willing to pump the bellows for a whole day. He'll even teach you a thing or two about smithing!

There's a leatherworker who's in need of skins. Rabbits, beavers, raccoons, deer, wolves, any old skins will do. He's willing to pay a particularly large sum of money for bear pelts, as the bears in the area have been harassing the village.

The miners in the town could always use another hand in the coal mines. It's really tough work, and tunnel collapses take lives almost weekly, but the pay is very good. There's a special deal with the mining consortium that if you stumble across any ores or gemstones while you're down there, you can keep half for yourself! But all the coal goes to them. Greedy bastards.

A local farmer could also use help tending to his crops. Ugh... Farming... He'll also give you a silver for every pair of wolf ears that you give him. They recently broke into his chicken coop and killed his hens. He's pretty pissed. He also needs someone to take a couple of barrels of flour to the town bakery. They're REALLY heavy.

There's also a bar in town, but the barkeep doesn't need any help. It would just be a good place to look if you need a place to sleep.

Speaking of sleep... NEW SYSTEM UNLOCKED.

Spoiler: Tiredness (click to show/hide)

Keep your inventory in mind. Walking up to a noble dressed as you are would probably turn out badly. Similarly, walking up to a bear or a wolf without any weapons will turn out badly as well (unless you roll FANTASTICALLY). Investing in a place to sleep and some food to eat sounds like a very worth-while endeavor.

((Other players who join will start in this town.))
Hey, look what I did!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »

Go meet this blacksmith and take the job if there is an opening for it!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 03:30:52 pm »

Go to the smithy and accept the blacksmith's offer!
>Yes?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »

Bartholomew Asthian.

walking up to a bear or a wolf without any weapons will turn out badly as well (unless you roll FANTASTICALLY).
Challenge accepted.

Go bear hunting.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »

PLAYERS (3/4)
Spoiler: King DZA (click to show/hide)
Go meet this blacksmith and take the job if there is an opening for it!
Go to the smithy and accept the blacksmith's offer!

Well, crap. I didn't think everyone would want to work for the smithy...

The job's open still. The blacksmith looks you both over with little enthusiasm. At least your names are close enough that he can mumble them and you both look. He shows you both how to work the bellows and tells you there's five silver pieces in it for both of you if you pump the bellows from morning until night. It seems pretty trivial. Just pull the handle up, then push it back down with a steady rhythm. Wait, what's this about silver? How hard did you say this was again?

NEW SYSTEMS UNLOCKED... Difficulty and Currency.
Spoiler: Currency (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Difficulty (click to show/hide)
Barthole stands by the bellows and pump hard while the blacksmith stokes the flames with a fire-poker. [(2)-2+6=6 Success!] The coals look bright red, the blacksmith keeps motioning for the bellows. Barthale pushes back hard against his side of the bellows, [(4)-2+6=8 Success!], the coals are yellow hot. The blacksmith jams a piece of metal in there and motions for the bellows again. [(1)-2+6=5 Near Success] Failing to time it right, Barthole is slow, and the coals lose heat just a little before he manages to push the bellows back down. The blacksmith shoots him a look of disapproval and motions to keep up the pace. [(7)-2+6=11 Epic Success!] Barthale pushes back and times it perfectly to keep the coals bright hot. The blacksmith turns his attention to the metal and places it on the anvil. He hammers at it for about thirty seconds. While he's pounding away at the anvil, you both keep pushing and pulling to stoke the flames. [(6)-2+6=10 Great Success!] [(4)-2+6=8 Success!] The flames keep their heat throughout the rest of the morning.

At noon, he has you both pause briefly in the to eat a meal his wife provided. He reminds you both that it's a full day of work, and after a short rest, you're both back to it. This time, your muscles are much more sore and it's not as easy as it was. One step down from trivial is still very easy, so you figure you've still both got a shot.

Barthole pushes it back to Barthale, back and forth, keeping the flames hot. [(9)-1+4=11 Epic Success!], [(5)-1+4=7 Success!], [(9)-1+4=11 Epic Success!], [(1)-1+4=3 Failure!] the coals lose their heat again, but the smithy was already done. After what seemed like an eternity, it's dark outside, and the smith has no more iron left to work. He hands you five silver pieces each and sends you off.

You two aren't hungry any more, since you ate with the smith. You're both still tired and everything is closed except the tavern. You both go there, exhausted. After you each purchase a room for a single silver piece, you both promptly go to sleep.

The next day, you wake up and get a drink from the well. Better have breakfast before you do anything.

MEANWHILE, your crazed friend decides to...
Go bear hunting.

Alright, you asked for it. You figure you'd better see what the hubbub is about these bears. You figure if you manage to kill one bare handed (heh heh), that'll be the most glorious thing any of these villagers will ever hear about! They'd have to give you free stuff or something... You ask the leatherworker where the bears are at. He gives you a strange look and points at the forest. You nod and set off.

It's not long before you see some trees that look as though they've been marked by a bear. They've got the claw marks and bear poop and everything. You look around and figure you should hide in a bush if you want to catch this bear by surprise... The forest is pretty dense, so finding a good spot should be relatively easy. [(4)-2+4=4 Near Success] You find a bush and figure it'll be fine, just gotta sit on this twiggy part, and you figure nothing outside of the bush can see you. You feel bugs crawling on your neck... You figure moving would be a poor idea.

Sitting there waiting is VERY EASY. [(9)-2+4=12 Epic Success!] You see a grizzly bear wander up to the tree and starts scratching at the markings. Then, it wanders over to a bush to eat some berries. You try to come up with a way to kill it with your bare hands... It's going to be hard... [(8)-2-1=5 Near Success] You remove your rope belt... You think your best chance is going to be to strangle it from behind with your belt. Your pants fall down. You take them off and leave them in the bush. Without pants, you figure your chances of success could only get better. You get ready for a surprise strike... [(9)-2=7 Success!] You get out of the bush without a noise and get behind the bear. You're about two feet away... [(8)-3=Near Success] You Jump onto its back and try to get the rope around its neck. [(6)-2=4 Near Success] You can't quite reach the rope with your other hand before the bear rears back. [(10)-2=8 Success!] You grab onto its fur as best you can and try again to get the rope around its neck! [(2)-2=0 Epic Failure] You fall on the ground and land on your butt. The bear lands back on its front legs and turns to face you. [(7)-3=4 Near Success] You try to get up and start running. The bear takes a swipe at your legs, barely missing. [(5)-3=2] You try to outrun the bear, but your feet still hurt from the trek into town. After running for about a minute, you think the bear is going to catching up! [(6)-3=3 Near Success] You trip and stumble out of the bushes landing face-first in the dirt. A villager looks at your half-naked form, wide-eyed. Not only did you leave your pants in the forest, you managed to lose your belt out there too! You spend the rest of the day pan-handling in the street without pants. You manage to get 5 copper from sympathetic townsfolk before you fall asleep outside.

The next day, you wake up feeling horrible. You're VERY hungry. Your feet hurt worse from running through the forest barefoot.

Beginning of day stats:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:52:22 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RP]Freedom - Fame and Fortune (3/4)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:47:16 pm »

Buy a spot of dried meats that will last for the next two days, and then head to the edge of the forests and begin to gather branches, sticks, and tree limbs.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:05:13 pm »

Bah, clothing is for the weak! That bear is going to rue the day it refused to let me strangle it to death...

Remove my shirt and tear a strip of cloth from it that I can use as a sling, then use my pieces of copper as projectiles to hunt wildlife.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

Buy enough food for two days, eat some and then try the smithy again to get used to the same type of work.
>Yes?
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:08:25 pm »

Buy a spot of dried meats that will last for the next two days, and then head to the edge of the forests and begin to gather branches, sticks, and tree limbs.
You start the day off by getting some dried meat at the market. Buying food is trivial. You walks to the butcher shop and buy a couple dried meats. Enough for two days. [(7)-2+5=10 Great Success!] The butcher mentions that he heard you worked for the blacksmith and offers you a deal. 1 silver piece for both rations. You accept and slide him the piece.

After nibbling on the rations a bit to get rid of your hunger, you realize that hands are going to be full of rations. You figure that if you want to hold anything else, you're going to need something to carry it in. Heading to the tailor shop seems like a good plan. When you arrive, the tailor looks you over with disapproval. He makes some sort of joke about how he's seen horses more stylishly dressed, then asks if you are here to buy shoes. You're still holding the rations when you ask him if he has a backpack for sale. He makes a sour face and goes into his back room. It's gonna be a Hard sale... He drops the -Tarnished Backpack on the counter. [(8)-1-1=5 Near Success] He shrugs and says that it's yours for 5 copper pieces. You ask him if he has change for a silver and he nods. He didn't expect you to have more than a purse full of copper. He hands you your five copper in change and watches as you leave his shop, barefoot... After dropping the rations in your new pack, you set off for the forest.

Once there, you collect some branches, tree limbs, and sticks. Your arms are still sore from yesterday, but the work is fairly trivial. [(4)-2+4=6 Success!] After a cursory examination, you find 5 thick tree limbs and drag them into a pile. [(7)-2+4=9] You also managed to find 10 branches with leaves on them. After a little work, you manage to find 20 sticks that don't suck!  You have lunch and sit around. You see beavers and squirrels all over the place. You figure you might as well try to set up a trap with some of your meat and these sticks. It's going to be hard without any string. [(3)-1-1=1 Failure] After many attempts, you give up in frustration. You decide to go back to collecting sticks. [(6)-2=4 Near Success] You manage to find two more tree limbs and add them to your pile. [(8)-2=6 Success!] After a few more hours you figure you better head back to town before it gets too dark out. You take another look around, gotta remember where this stockpile is!

You spend 5 copper to spend a night at the inn and eat the remainder of your day's rations. You sleep soundly in the bed you payed for.

Bah, clothing is for the weak! That bear is going to rue the day it refused to let me strangle it to death...
Remove my shirt and tear a strip of cloth from it that I can use as a sling, then use my pieces of copper as projectiles to hunt wildlife.

Your stomach grumbles and your feet hurt. At least the water's free... You are sitting next to a house in the dirt. You rub your eyes. Better try your luck at hunting again... You stand up and remove your shirt. People stare and point as you get completely naked. This won't be easy... You tear your shirt up [(3)-2=1 Failure] and you manage to ruin pretty much all of it. You salvage a sleeve and rip it in half. You tie it up and try to make a sling. [(9)-2=7 Success!] You make a -Cloth Sling! You feel rather accomplished as you place a copper coin in the pocket and hurl it at a tree. [(8)-2=6 Success!] It pings off harmlessly. You shrug and go look for the coin. [(7)-2=5 Near Success] You find it after a little searching. Gonna need to keep finding these if you wanna keep at this.

You wander off into the forest and it isn't long before you spot a raccoon in a nearby tree. [(5)-2=3 Failure] You step on a twig and make a noise. The raccoon turn to see what it was and- [(9)-2-1=6 Success!] it takes a coin between the eyes and falls out of the tree. [(2)-2=0 Epic Failure] You can't get to the raccoon before it gets its footing and starts running away. You give chase [(6)-4=2 Failure] It sprints off into the bushes as you stomp onto twigs. You give up rather quickly. [(6)-2=4 Near Success] Where the hell did that coin go?

You sit around during the afternoon and rub your tummy. Some food would be extremely good... [(10)-2=8 Success!] You spot a rabbit hopping along the ground. You grab your sling and prepare a copper coin shot. [(8)-2=6 Success!] It doesn't see you, and you let loose a coin! [(10)-2=8 Success!] The bunny takes the shot in the head and seems dazed! [(8)-2=6 Success!] You pounce on it (I just want to stop and describe the scene... You're completely naked and you haven't eaten in two days. You're hunting rabbits with the torn up remnants of a shirt and some coins that were donated to you... This is crazy...) and break its neck with ease! You're very pleased with yourself!

You sit down and start trying to make a fire to cook it on. It's not hard [(10)-2=8 Success!] and you manage to get one started after about a half hour worth of work. You still need to skin and gut the rabbit before cooking... That's pretty hard. [(2)-2-2=-2 Epic Failure] You grab a sharp twig and mangle the rabbit skin trying to peel it off. After that hack job, [(6)-2-2=2 Failure] you use the same twig and mangle its innards, getting guts everywhere. Your hands are covered with blood, and there is blood and guts everywhere. [(1)-2=-1 Epic Failure] You put the rabbit on a skewer and it drags in the fire. You frown as you watch it burn a bit. [(8)-2=6 Success] After some work, you salvage what you can and have a fire roasted rabbit! You eat it and feel much better.

It's getting late, so you head back to town to sleep. When you make it to town, you go to the local farmer. [(10)=10 Epic Success!] He opens his door and looks very startled. You hold out a couple copper coins with your bloodied hand. When you ask him if you can sleep in his loft, he laughs really hard. He tells you to get inside before anyone else sees you like that. He grabs a pair of pants from another room, a washcloth, and a bowl of water. He puts them on the table then tells you to wash up. He takes the coins and tells you that you can sleep in the hay loft. He shakes his head and heads to bed. After cleaning up, you go sleep in the loft.

Buy enough food for two days, eat some and then try the smithy again to get used to the same type of work.

You head to market and pick up 2 days worth of rations for a silver. Apparently that's the deal he gave the last guy. You smile and slide the coin over.

You eat some of your day's ration for breakfast and when you arrive at the smithy, he's confused as to why you're holding the rations in your hands. You shrug and ask if there's still work to be done. He asks if your arms are sore, and you respond truthfully. The hurt like hell, but you could still use the money! He gives you a nod of approval, saying something to the effect of you being a man for sticking it out. He's just gotta re-heat the ingots he made yesterday. He's planning to make some swords. He's willing to pay you 3 silver this time, but you also get to keep the worst sword he makes. You figure that's a fair deal and you take position by the bellows. He gives you the word to start pumping.

[(6)-1=5 Near Success] Boy, it's harder than you thought! You struggle to keep pace. [(7)-1=6 Success!] You're making the right timing now, you feel it get easier. [(5)-1+2=6 Success!] It just gets easier as you work off the muscle fatigue from yesterday. It's feeling more and more natural. Sure, your arms feel like jello, but you're keeping up the rhythm! [(3)-1+4=7] The blacksmith seems impressed, it's already afternoon and he's not stopping for lunch. You fly through the work. [(6)-1+4=9 Success!] After another few hours, not feeling the hot coals on your face is a welcome change. The blacksmith hands you 3 silver pieces and an +Iron Short Sword! He mentions that with your help, even the worst sword he made that day was well crafted! He shakes your hand and you head off to the tavern.

You put the sword through your rope belt and feel really safe. When you arrive at the inn, you eat the rest of your day's rations and pay 5 copper for a room. Your arms are VERY sore... Sleep is going to come easy tonight...

End of day stats:

You all wake up the next day in your respective beds.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:51:39 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!
Pages: [1] 2