Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: How do you view the wealthy?  (Read 14598 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you view the wealthy?
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:07 pm »

Well. Maybe. But he used it to justify calling the first point idiotic.

Edit: Unless he meant it as in he thought saying "Currency based systems have flaws." is idiotic. Which would I guess make sense, even if I don't really agree. (It does have flaws, it is just about the best thing we have though.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:40:52 pm by Criptfeind »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2012, 11:09:38 pm »

You realize this is pretty contrary to the prevailing attitude, though? Among both the poor and the wealthy, having what you want is generally significantly less important than having more than the other guy. Because most people don't want "stuff", they don't want "gold chandeliers", they want other people to be impressed by their gold chandeliers.

That's true for the middle class. I've never known anyone I'd consider rich to care what the Jones' are doing. The guy showing off his rolex isn't rich. I realize that's arguable since I've just spent the past several pages explaining that there's no defining line for "rich" and that it's all relative to the observer. So, yes. My view is relative. But yeah...the guy showing off his rolex is generally upper middle class or new rich. He wasn't born into money.

They want to show off, they want respect, and admiration. They want, ultimately, nothing more than to feel powerful.

That only makes sense for people who've felt a lack of those things they need to make up for. People who grew up with money lack that empty hole to fill.

Yeah... I gota admit to skimming here, but I thought that Lord Bucket was arguing against things like,
100% taxation over certain amounts and hating rich people and such. Not for... That.

Well, I would argue against those things. I think an awful lot of the "rich people are evil" sentiment is simply envy. And as for taxation, personally I'd favor eliminating the income tax completely for everybody. The US managed quite nicely for over 100 years with no income tax. It wasn't until we started having wars that needed to funding that it changed. "Essential services" like roads and courthouses and things are only a very tiny part of where the money is spent.

I am attacking a position that he seems to be saying he holds

If you can show me where he gives an actual position and not 2 pages of "Are you sure you're not
a lazy bum who enjoys being poor?" then I will address that instead.

Pretty sure I've never said that. You seem to be reading between the lines to come to conclusions of your own, and missing out on the things I'm actually intending to communicate.

(through his insistence that he should have everything he earns, and his
earlier posts about how rich people should not be legally obliged to give up their money).

Taking what people have through threat of force is not ok with me. Just because somebody has a lot to take doesn't suddenly make it ok.

You see others who have more than you do and want to take it from them. And yet you perceive me as the bad guy?

Money is not the limiting factor to post-scarcity economies,
it's the scarcity of basic resources (it's after scarcity)

This probably deserves its own topic. But short version: this concept of resource scarcity is completely stupid. It's a manufactured problem. The universe doesn't work that way.

Oh sure let's just get rid of all compelling reasons to put effort into society.

This might be a valid concern...but it simply becomes a trade off. What's more important? Freedom or building society? Personally I choose freedom. Imagine two hypothetical societies:

A) Everybody has a magic genie a box that gives them infinite wishes and complete and total material abundance. Consequently, 98% of everybody sits around wishing up 9 course wine dinners and pretty girls, and spends their entire lives living in pointless hedonism. Only 2% people read and think and learn and explore and grow.

B) Everybody lives in a world with scarcity, in a perpetual struggle to survive. Consequently, at least half of everyone at all times is trying to think of new ways to do things to build a better society where life is easier and more managable.

I choose A.

I perceive little value in work. This is something I've discussed in other threads. The middle class seems to place a great deal of value on work. They enjoy their servitude. They take pride in it. They become upset when you try to take their jobs away. When greeting each other "what do you do?" is the first question they ask, as if to establish dominance in some animal pecking order.

If you place value on working, if you attach your sense of pride and manliness to the nature of your slavery do you see how you might be more inclined to find yourself in a situation where working is necessary? And when you have an entire society full of middle class individuals who want to impress each other with their particular form of servitude, is it any surprise if others who don't share that desire are willing to "give them work" and collect the benefits of it?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2012, 11:25:12 pm »

Taking what people have through threat of force is not ok with me. Just because somebody has a lot to take doesn't suddenly make it ok.

You see others who have more than you do and want to take it from them. And yet you perceive me as the bad guy?
You ignored my argument, and instead responded to the reason why I posted my argument.  Excellent.  Please read my actual argument and respond to that.  I explained why taxation is both morally correct and practically necessary there.

On the other hand, Criptfeind and Strife: seems I was right in my guess as to LordBucket's views.  He is saying that taxes are wrong.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2012, 11:29:29 pm »

I'd like to note that, in my defense, operating multiple ton armored vehicles of democracy is a pretty awesome bit of servitude. I dunno, but I've never had a problem wearing a collar.

And no, Leafsnail, he made the reasonablish point that income taxes weren't necessary until America became all super-powery. I'd assume he'd prefer the government run it's bare necessities (roads et al) off of sales tax instead of income.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:08 pm »

Second point's standalone that blaming money for anything's kinda silly, because many of
the same problems would still exist if I was daily bartering my two liters of water for a chicken.

Well, remember we were discussing a post scarcity situation in that particular example. If you're really posty-scarcity, there's no reason to be bartering physical goods.

Currency based systems do have flaws. But I think what's going on here is a slight miscommunication about the nature of money. ECrownofFire is talking about money as a medium of trade. Ok, that's fine. I won't disagree with that. It is, it can be. But...another possible view would be to say that money is a medium of control.

I don't want to give you a chicken. Maybe I want your water and maybe I'm willing to trade you my chicken for your water, but me giving you my chicken is not specifically something I want. It's something that I might be willing to do, provided you do something for me. Similarly, you might want my chicken and you might be willing to give up your water to get it, but you giving me your water isn't really your goal, it's a sacrifice you're willing to make.

Money in this case as a medium by which I can induce in you the behavior I want (giving me your water) and you induce in me the havior you want (giving you my chicken.)

Money at its most basic level is a medium of manipulation and control. And I mean that literally in the sense of "air is a medium by which sound may be transmitted" not just metaphorical "money bad!"

This becomes more evident in the larger scale. Probably nobody wants to flip bugers or wait tables for 8 hours a day. In fact, a lot of the people who do it probably hate it. But if I give them money I may be able to manipulate them into spending a considerable portion of their entire lifetime doing something they hate. People who feel trapped and angry about money matters are completely justified. Their entire lives are being controlled by others who simply have more skill and resources.

"Blaming money" is kind of besides the point. You can still manipulate people with water and chickens, provided you have something they want or need. Getting rid of money doesn't necessarily solve the problem. Get rid of money but keep material scarcity and you just make the control/exchange more tedious because you have to use water and chickens to manipulate people instead of convenient little pieces of paper.

But if the problem were solved and there were no scarcity...there would be no reason for money to exist. So, money isn't precisely the problem, but any system that uses money will tend to have the problems we're discussing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2012, 11:36:09 pm »

Fair enough. You are right Leafsnail. Sorry.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2012, 11:47:42 pm »

Fair enough. You are right Leafsnail. Sorry.

Alright, I suppose that I'll concede the point as well. LordBucket's a dirty libertarian, and everyone else is a hippie. Good day, sirs.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »

seems I was right in my guess as to LordBucket's views

Please...nobody take any interpretation by Leafsnail about anything I say seriously. I honestly get the impression that his thinking is just not clear enough to understand the things we're talking about. It would be like if you were talking to somebody about where you live and they were incapable of understanding any more precise answer than the name of your state. I say I live in Orange County, and he replies that I live in California. I say I visited San Fransisco the other day and he replies that he was right and that I live in California. Completely missing the fact that "live in Orange County" and "visited San Fransisco" are substantially different in meaning even if both locations do happen to be in California.

If I don't bother to correct him, don't take that as agreement by me. I've just given up trying to explain things I don't think he's going to get.

It's one thing to disagree with somebody. That's ok. We all probably have different worldviews, different motivations, and the world as we would want to to be is probabaly a very different place. It's silly to get hung up arguing over methods if our methods are intended to accomplish different things.

But I'm just not going to waste my time trying to show a 100 dot per inch picture to someone who only sees 10 dots per inch.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:09 am »

Man, you've done nothing but dance around the issue and wax pseudo-poetic, "How I wish everyone was rich! Oh, how lovely the world would be! But don't fuckin' take any of mine." You're not exactly painting a clear picture.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:03:28 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2012, 12:05:28 am »

Lets stay away from more personal remarks yeah? If you feel like you are not getting though to someone feel free to try some other way or to give up. But don't get so personal.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2012, 12:09:19 am »

You realize this is pretty contrary to the prevailing attitude, though? Among both the poor and the wealthy, having what you want is generally significantly less important than having more than the other guy. Because most people don't want "stuff", they don't want "gold chandeliers", they want other people to be impressed by their gold chandeliers.

That's true for the middle class. I've never known anyone I'd consider rich to care what the Jones' are doing. The guy showing off his rolex isn't rich. I realize that's arguable since I've just spent the past several pages explaining that there's no defining line for "rich" and that it's all relative to the observer. So, yes. My view is relative. But yeah...the guy showing off his rolex is generally upper middle class or new rich. He wasn't born into money.

Close, but not quite. The wealthy do care about status symbols, but they choose that which would stand out amongst their peers, not the average man. Whereas a "nouveau riche' might buy a from widely known luxury brand to show off to his acquaintances, someone native to wealth would be prone to favoring a more obscure, yet all the more exquisite, brand,  likely to pass altogether unrecognized by most. Capitalizing on your example, the earlier would buy a Rolex, whereas the later would purchase a Lange & Söhne. That is right, almost everyone here would recognize a Rolex, but could the same be said for a Lange or a Patek?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:05 am »

Man, you've done nothing but dance around the issue and wax pseudo-poetic, "How I wish everyone was rich!
Oh, how lovely the world would be! But don't fuckin' take any of mine." You're not exactly painting a clear picture.

...well, if my explanations are inadequate, I apologize.

Do you have a specific question? I'm not trying to avoid direct questions here, but the conversation has meandered through a lot of topics, and there have been a couple times where person X said something and both persons Y and Z replied...and it's natural for person X to see both replies and lump them together as a single thought even though there were two totally different people saying slightly different things. There's potential for miscommunication.

What do you want to know?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2012, 12:14:20 am »

Do you have any clearly defined thought processes on what society should be like?
Do you have any notions of why it should be that way?
Do you have any suggestions of how to get there?
Have you ever lived under the poverty level?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2012, 12:25:06 am »

Close, but not quite. The wealthy do care about status symbols, but they choose that which would stand out amongst their peers, not the average man. Whereas a "nouveau riche' might buy a from widely known luxury brand to show off to his acquaintances, someone native to wealth would be prone to favoring a more obscure, yet all the more exquisite, brand,  likely to pass altogether unrecognized by most. Capitalizing on your example, the earlier would buy a Rolex, whereas the later would purchase a Lange & Söhne. That is right, almost everyone here would recognize a Rolex, but could the same be said for a Lange or a Patek?

It's funny you use that example. I have a friend who has very strong opinions about rolex vs cartier.

Personally, my take on it is...if you were rich...why would you wear a watch? Keeping track of time is for people who have to be somewhere tomorrow at 8am. Buying an "expensive watch" to show how wealthy you are strikes me as humorously ironic. You may as well have your collar and chain plated in gold.

Anyway, this comes down to impressions. My sample group might be different from yours. But when I see a guy who collects watches in a showcase that keeps them moving, when I see guy who builds a building to put his vintage cars in...I see hobbyists. Not people trying to show off. The guy who shows you his stamp collection isn't trying to impress you, is he? No, he just really likes stamps and is trying to share something he enjoys. People with more money just have more expensive hobbies.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:25 am »

Damn did this thread get interesting. You came out of nowhere with these threads, Novel, but they raise some really good points. Props.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17