Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: How do you view the wealthy?  (Read 14692 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: How do you view the wealthy?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »

I have no specific opinion of 'the wealthy' as a whole, because generalisations are bad, m'kay.  It would be nice if they had to pay a fairer amount of tax though.
Ding ding ding.

For their wealth in particular, I believe the price of power (of any sort, including monetary) is responsibility. It is the duty of the strong to help the weak. Noblesse Oblige.

If a wealthy person is uncomfortable with that responsibility (see: Ayn Rand objectivists), then they should give up their power.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »

I view the wealthy as wealthy.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »

Quite true. I agree whole-heartedly.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 01:57:54 pm »

I view the wealthy people (especially the super rich) as immoral narcissist sociopaths.

Quote from: Sergei Polonsky (a wealthy Russian businessman) at a corporate party on the 19 March 2008
Anyone who does not have a billion [dollars] can go to hell!

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:04:00 pm »

Quite true. I agree whole-heartedly.
I veiw them as cheese.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »

For their wealth in particular, I believe the price of power (of any sort, including monetary) is responsibility. It is the duty of the strong to help the weak. Noblesse Oblige.

If a wealthy person is uncomfortable with that responsibility (see: Ayn Rand objectivists), then they should give up their power.
So the answer then is to be the extreme upper edge of the middle class. Rich enough to enjoy the powers of wealth, but not so rich that you are obliged to care for those less fortunate! :P

As for me, I'm fine viewing the rich people as rich, and I know for certain that while some of them may be jerks, the rest are not. (My town has a large rich population, and they contribute immensely to our school music programs and other fine arts around the community)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 02:30:43 pm »

"He's so rich, he wears two monocles."
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »

So the answer then is to be the extreme upper edge of the middle class. Rich enough to enjoy the powers of wealth, but not so rich that you are obliged to care for those less fortunate! :P
:P

In serious, it's proportionate. An upper middle class would still have responsibility to those less fortunate, just less responsibility than say, Bill Gates level rich. I'm not exactly wealthy, but I'm better off than some, and thus I have a responsibility toward them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »

my thoughts exactly. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to ring true much.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 02:51:57 pm »

I don't have a view on the rich, but they certainly seem to have a view on me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »

Considering the possibility of a future where we'll all be slaves to feudalistic mega-corporations, I think it's about time we warm up to our future (or current) overlords, the wealthy.  ;D

But yeah, I'll throw in my hat with the violent anarchist revolution crowd.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »

For me, it depends on what they spend the money on. There is no way in hell I can ever see buying, say, a golden diamond'd chandelier for several millions as something moral.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

There is one thing I do kind of agree with, that middle class people generally are concerned with being comfortable, safe and entertained. That's what motivates them. As opposed to being consumed by the need for MOAR. If rich people are never satisfied with what they have and drives them to try harder, do more, succeed more often, spend less time seeking pleasure and more time seeking wealth....more power to them.

It's when they drag down the economy with their shenanigans, ruin other people's lives in pursuit of profit, ruin the environment and dominate our political system so that no dissenting voices will be given weight....is when their "never satisfied" mentality has become morally untenable. A person's desire for more than they have currently cannot carry more weight than the happiness and comfort of those around them, that's not an equal trade. Especially if the net result gives absolutely nothing back.

If rich people got rich in a vacuum, no one would care. But their wealth, whether they want to admit it or not, depends directly on the rest of humanity. Workers, consumers, investors, governments.....all of these are a part of them becoming wealthy, in one way or another.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:31:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »

Basically I see them as lucky bastards.
With emphasis on the bastards part.
No, no. If they were bastards, they wouldn't be able to inherit their vast fortunes.  :P

But yes, Noblesse Oblige on a sliding scale. And for the (as mentioned) Randians and their ilk,

I'll throw in my hat with the violent anarchist revolution crowd.

Better a clean wipe with the recognition that you're essentially throwing the baby out with the bathwater and hoping you get a better baby next time--that is to say, acknowledging that you're getting rid of all social order and working towards building a better one. Because let's be honest, a true anarcho-communistic society can't exist because of inherent human flaws, namely greed (for power, control, treasure, etc.) Which is, incidentally, why I have such a problem with libertarians of the non-Social Darwinist type: they get as far as the "Let's get rid of government", but don't bother with "Let's get rid of the social order that is at the heart of the problem", and that they essentially shrug their shoulders regarding the aftermath, as if to say, "Eh, someone will work it out. I'm sure it'll be fine."

In other words, destroying society is a good choice if and when doing so has a greater chance of resulting in a functional, relatively free and fair society than attempts at internal reform.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17