Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is ... magma? And other stupid questions of returning noob  (Read 3230 times)

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where is ... magma? And other stupid questions of returning noob
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:08 am »

Hi, so I' played DF before the great 2012 update, which added many things, including
the (great) underground caves with rivers? flowing through them,
the hospital,
wheelbarrows and
... dwarves being unable to plant, gather, brew or mill... But it's sign of progress none the less.

* I think I figured out how to build hospitals (zones + beds + coffers/chests/bags + tables + traction? benches). My only patient did not make it to the hospital tho. He was killed by a were-something (tooltip said something about "why I should fear night", my dwarves fear nothing. stupid thing.) before my military could follow the "kill order" (only way how I can move military?, it "transformed into human" and vanished, never seen that happen before. Any ideas what the creature was?

* When Planting/Gathering Seeds/Milling dye/Brewing, I get tons of job cancellations. I figured out it's related to the new "multi items picking" feature - but it's not working as intended (At least I hope getting 10 or so red messages of job cancellation is not intended). -

My dwarves go to field to a plant needing picking, they then walk to store room, haul entire bin/bag to the field, pick up a plant, haul the bag back and then repeat to get another plant. They should, pick all plants when they have the bag/barrel, but they do not, instead they pick one plant, put barrel back to store room and repeat. While doing that, no one else can use contents of that barrel/bag, so brewers, eaters and planters spam the error message. Continously. All the time. Annoyingly

A workaround was forbidding all barrels/bins from being used in food/seed stores AND forbidding use of wheelbarrows. But now I got tons of barrels with one or two plants in them scattered around on the fields, not being moved to anywhere, even tho there are plentiful of haulers. And my food is exposed to vermin and -like. Is it supposed to work like that? I could not figure out how to force seeds to be without bags tho (forbid every bag?).

----

* I dug down into a cavern, but I don't think I'm connected with it - it seems I float in the middle of air. Can I build a ladder down or throw some dwarf down into the cavern and force him to construct stairs/tower up with rocks he finds in the cavern (assuming he survives the fall)? Also, I've seen only cavefish in that cavern are there supposed to be more creatures? Maybe I can build a lift? With pumps and water or magma as lifting force? no?

* In the good old days, one used to simply dig deep, until one hit hot walls and you've found magma! But now with this cavern ... how do I find magma? is it deeper inside of the cavern? Did I miss it? Do I even have it? I don't think sitefinder has the ability to look for magma vents. Wiki is not much help with this... I want magma.

* Once i discovered the underground cavern, plants and herbs started growing in loamy areas of my fortress. I'm 99% sure I did not "muddy" the land - I thought plants to grow inside, they needed muddied land?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is ... magma? And other stupid questions of returning noob
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:21:24 am »

The cancellation spam can be worked around a little by intense stockpile managing (e. g. no barrels on seed stockpiles, more specialized stockpiles in general, use of "give to / take from" features)

The magma is still there deep down ... Sometimes you get magma bubbles or vents. Besides searching only dfhack can reveal their whereabouts.

To reach the bottom of caverns just dig sideways and then down and breach them near the ground. Most caverns span a lot of z-levels and have their different ground levels connected with ramps. It's also possible to have 50+ deep caverns or caverns without any life. Usually there are three cavern layers, the deeper you get the more possible are dangerous life forms.

In the new version no mudding is required to grow crops on natural soil (like sand, clay, peat, silt and so on). If you breach a cavern with trees and ground plants in it, the spores will spread through your fortress and sprout on any soil tiles.

The creature was a werebeast, one of some new surprises you can get with your migrant waves. ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:26:07 am by Laurin »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:21:59 am »

The best way the move your military is a "station" command, which uses the [m] key. Your soldiers will automatically attack any enemy they can see. The creature was a werebeast. They're only in their wereform during a full moon (indicator is top right), but this is a very short period in fortress mode.

There are various workarounds for the seed bug. I usually use the multiple stockpile one.

You can construct a staircase downwards via the valid menu, [b],[C,[x] for an up/down one. You might want to think about placing a hatch above it so you can lock out anything you don't want to get in (and there will be such things, trust me).

The magma sea is always at the bottom, but doesn't cover the entire map. If you've dug down as far as you can, try digging sideways.

Farms used to need muddy tiles, but now they don't. I'm not sure about the natural plants, but it is an intended feature.

Ninja'd!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:49 am »

Farms used to need muddy tiles, but now they don't. I'm not sure about the natural plants, but it is an intended feature.
Farms only need mud if you build them on stone - on soil, no mud is required. Natural plant growth on underground soil (and underground muddy stone) is something which dates back to the first version of DF ever released (though subterranean soil didn't show up until the game went 3D, and subterranean grass didn't show up until version 0.31.19).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:49 am »

Farms did used to need mud on every kind of underground tile, even soil, which is perhaps where the OP's confusion came from. I was pretty sure moss was a feature added after I started playing (0.31.12), but I wasn't certain about the larger plants.

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:16 am »

So, I designated two food stockpiles, where one will take from link only and other will take from anywhere but will 'give to selected stockpile'. I also, now, have only one farmer. So far no job cancellations, but I did start a new fort.

'OP confusion', came for some odd reason, that I'm not remembering plants, trees and herbs growing inside of my fort in earlier versions. I know that underground farms do not need muddied soil anymore. But I still don't remember herbs and like growing inside, then again, I might not have noticed because I've not payed much attention to herbs.

There could have been plants/herbs growing inside on 'soil' layers, but IIRC trees needed "wet" soil to grow underground (and several years). I'm quite sure trees started growing in my fortress after I discovered the cavern. Maybe I'm confusing tree names with plant names tho, but if those small things were plants, should the d -> p command not mark them as "gather" for herb gatherer? But in the end, it's a trivial issue.

Thank you all for all the advice given so far, esp about the solutions to my 'farming issue'.

Edit: Just for your information df_28_181_40d13_win was the earlier version I played. But it's not important anymore, I'm having fun and that's all that matters :]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:30:49 am by Northen_Wolf »

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:49:07 am »

It's the same as with above ground plants. You can mark an area to be gathered and some of the shrubs are marked, some are not. There are also tree saplings and sometimes dead shrubs..

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:22:51 pm »

'OP confusion', came for some odd reason, that I'm not remembering plants, trees and herbs growing inside of my fort in earlier versions. I know that underground farms do not need muddied soil anymore. But I still don't remember herbs and like growing inside, then again, I might not have noticed because I've not payed much attention to herbs.

Moss, shrubs and trees will grow automatically on underground soil or muddy tiles once you have revealed a cavern that has any water in it.  I believe this also happened in 40d when you discovered an "underground river" or something like that (since there were no caverns).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »

Hey, you haven't been since 28?

You want to know what would be fun? A evil biome. They've been made a little tougher.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »

Yeah, but it's really easy to deal with goblins. We are serious.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:48:52 pm »

* I dug down into a cavern, but I don't think I'm connected with it - it seems I float in the middle of air. Can I build a ladder down or throw some dwarf down into the cavern and force him to construct stairs/tower up with rocks he finds in the cavern (assuming he survives the fall)? Also, I've seen only cavefish in that cavern are there supposed to be more creatures? Maybe I can build a lift? With pumps and water or magma as lifting force? no?
The best way I've found to get through caverns is to simply tunnel down through an existing solid pillar.
Cavern wildlife will spawn the same as surface wildlife.

* In the good old days, one used to simply dig deep, until one hit hot walls and you've found magma! But now with this cavern ... how do I find magma? is it deeper inside of the cavern? Did I miss it? Do I even have it? I don't think sitefinder has the ability to look for magma vents. Wiki is not much help with this... I want magma.
The magma sea is almost always under three caverns. Just keep going downwards, mine is usually over 100 levels down.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:55:15 pm »

The magma sea is almost always under three caverns. Just keep going downwards, mine is usually over 100 levels down.
Now wait, mine start at 50, am I just crazy?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »

Regions tend to have shallower maps than islands, though you might still sometimes find unusually deep or shallow caverns in either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.