Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with bones and skulls  (Read 1745 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
What to do with bones and skulls
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »

I have a heavy hunting industry and I don't know what to do with the bones and skulls. Someone told me to make bolts but there is a limited amount per and hunters will run out of ammo earlier.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with bones and skulls
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:35 pm »

One bone makes 5 bolts, I've never ran out of hunter's bolts with running bones into ammo with craftdwarves ( Just remember to unforbid any that's left around outside to save a bit ). I usually just make totems with skulls to sell to caravans, they're decently valuable for relative lack of effort!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »

Keep some bones around for moods, too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:08 pm »

Bone crossbows, also. While they don't do much damage when they go and bash enemies with them, a masterwork bone crossbow can be truly deadly at range.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »

One bone makes 5 bolts, I've never ran out of hunter's bolts with running bones into ammo with craftdwarves ( Just remember to unforbid any that's left around outside to save a bit ). I usually just make totems with skulls to sell to caravans, they're decently valuable for relative lack of effort!

They wont run out of ammo, but every 5 shots they got to run back for more, instead of the 25.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »

I thought dwarves could pack multiple stacks into their quivers?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »

Maybe, I've only seen them pack 1 pack of wooden bolts, but I rarely check. Would be good to know since they spare bolts around the world would be useful to pick up.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:30:35 pm »

They wont run out of ammo, but every 5 shots they got to run back for more, instead of the 25.
When I check my dwarves quivers they usually have 4 or 5 stacks of five bone bolts, I think the military setting for ammo has to do with it I usually increase it from the default 100 to 250 or something...

With bones there are a few bugs, for instance decorations and artifacts taking a whole stack of bones when they really need 1 bone, because of this I like to use the basic value bones to make bolts until only 1 bone is left in the stack, then I forbid the last bone to decorate some crap item left by caravan or sieges that I want to resell, for higher value bones I do the same but instead of making bolts I make crafts, and I reserve these single bones for a mood artifact.

Also if you want, you can wait until you have a legendary bone crafter to make the totems and place the masterwork totems somewhere in your fort as trophies of the fallen beasts that attacked your fort or something...

It's a nice strategy to "direct" your moody to use the highest value materials you have in your fort, recently one of my dwarves claimed a mason workshop and required 2 stones, I forbid every stone but gold nuggets (it was the highest value stone I had) and I got a native gold quern worth 103.000€, I guess my miller is ecstatic when he makes flour or dyes  :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:33:38 pm by Kaos »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:36:36 pm »

You can also use burrows for that.
Sig

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:43:56 pm »

Ahhh your hunters do take multiple bones, I guess they didn't take multiple wooden bolts, because 25 is enough vs the 5, so they take more.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »

Also I've seen dwarves with 4 or 5 stacks of 5 bone bolts, attacking (while in civilian clothes) wildlife or invaders that interrupts them and spend all their bolts or almost all (3 left), I think it has to do with line of sight, the dwarf seems to stay put shooting at the enemy and moves only a bit, if the enemy moves fast enough to get out of the line of sight of the dwarf the dwarf goes back to their usual civilian work and it usually involves a pick up equipment job.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:03:16 pm »

Ahhh your hunters do take multiple bones, I guess they didn't take multiple wooden bolts, because 25 is enough vs the 5, so they take more.
Not sure about hunters since I don't use them too much, what I do is assign regular civilian dwarves to a militia squad and assign them an uniform consisting of crossbows and rise the ammo settings and make sure they use wooden/bone bolts, and that they keep their uniform while in civilian clothes..

By doing that when they get sneaked by some ambusher/thief/wildlife instead of running like idiots spamming jobs cancellations, they shoot them with their wooden/bone crossbows using their wooden/bone bolts, it's an easy early defence.

Hunter also have a number of bolts in their ammo settings in the military screen you can change the number and set up what material the bolts should be, it seems to me that the number of bolts forces them to take more stacks or something, I'm guessing that the number means the total amount of bolts assigned for that squad, so if you have 10 dwarves in the squad and the default is 100 bolts they only take 10 bolts each (2 stacks of bone bolts), I usually increase it to 200-250 and I get 20-25 bolts per dwarf... again it's a guess based on my impressions haven't really tested exhaustively... my guess is that for hunters it works the same but the ammo in the hunter uniform is divided by the number of hunters you have...??

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:38:38 pm »

Yes, they will pickup multiple stacks until they go over 25 bolts in the quiver (so they might carry 25-49 bolts in total).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

More if they pick up one of the large stacks that invaders sometimes carry.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:36:20 pm »

Quote from: My iPad
Florence Skiles what I sometimes do is make a giant's goal dropping crap I do this bead has now that the filing damage actually works I can make it deadly from time to time

That was me trying to use the voice recognition feature on my iPad. Was I meant to say was:
For skulls,what I sometimes do is make a giant skull-dropping trap. I do this because now that falling damage actually works, I can make it deadly from time to time.

I don't see why the place next nation that doesn't jerk as Dell as it was.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: [1] 2