Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: DF versus RL  (Read 5362 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
DF versus RL
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:13:32 am »

I was briefly loking at Facebook, And I noticed a advertisement for einstein not eating meat. Curious, I looked it over. It's standard anti-animal cruelty video, a little graphic, but nothing I couldn't handle. But Then I read over a few of the comments, And I realized how far DF players are from the mainstream:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its things like this that make me want to show more people DF to get their reactions. :P
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: DF versus RL
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:21:27 am »

Don't pay attention to people like that, you'll want to stab yourself.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:38:58 am »

Their empathy quotient is higher. I always use it as a dump stat for more spatial sense.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:54:55 am »

Most people dont see "You shake the Fluffy Wambler around by the nose it remains in your grip!" "The spinning Fluffy Wambler nose strikes the Fluffy Wambler in the lower body, breaking the guts!", all they see is dots flashing. The reason people are so up with said video is because, as that badass bearded man said, they find the most grusome looking things they can find and convince stupid attention-hungry teenagers that that's what its like everywere. I dont think peoples reaction to DF would be any different then reading a horror book.

And, as I said before, alot of these people don't care about the animals, they just want attention, and want to seem nice in other peoples eyes, so I don't think DF would bother that many people.

Cept the ESRB guys. I think there rotting somwere in the backyard I dunno.....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:58:21 am by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:42:00 am »

Society's outlook changes over time. What was once common place is now indefensible, and vise versa. Try to keep an open mind and try not to judge others with contempt, even when they disagree with you.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

I find people like these vegans and vegetarians to be odd. I came to terms with my cheeseburgers having once been alive years ago, and never looked back; why it bothers them enough that they will not partake of lesser creatures' flesh I cannot comprehend.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:49:45 am »

Meat is too tasty to let go for me.
I have great respect anybody who can live without its deliciousness.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:59:05 am »

The problem is, if we were all vegetarians, we wouldn't be any better off ecology wise then we are now.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:03 am »

Also, this isn't mainstream, speaketh the teenager. This should be in general discussion of the "finally" sort.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »

The problem is, if we were all vegetarians, we wouldn't be any better off ecology wise then we are now.
Yes, yes we would.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »

I'm waiting for DF to require feeding all animals, and having feeding zones instead of grass pastures :D

I think having less methane being put up in air by cattle would help just a bit, there, not to mention a bit less farming land being put to use to feed animals. Pretty much only issue I can think of is vitamin B12, which's probably gettable from supplement refined from bacterias anyway. Or modified mushrooms :D

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:55:24 pm »

modified mushrooms , if you know what i mean .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »

Yes, yes we would.
Probably, but what would we do with all of the dairy farms and such? Anyways, there's other reasons we keep animals, and would you want to give up sources of cheap fertilizer and such?
Meat eating is too ingrained in our psyche and society to throw it out any time soon. Frankly, there are more pressing ecological issues, like overpopulation and pollution and destruction and depletion of natural resources and such. Eating meat is really not so bad, compared to that. What we need is a good, strong worldwide government, ideally lead by me or someone like me so everyone would hate it equally.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:03:46 pm »

Anyways, there's other reasons we keep animals, and would you want to give up sources of cheap fertilizer and such?

But that fertilizer ultimately comes from vegetable matter anyway.

modified mushrooms , if you know what i mean .

... Do you ever say anything that contributes to anything?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 01:39:24 pm »

To quote the old "Sea Kittens" thread and a post full of win (and I hope SirHoneyBadger doesn't mind me stealing his words):
I don't understand why anyone would want to exist solely on meat, or solely without. They taste better together, in a nice stirfry perhaps.

As far as morality goes, plants are fairly closely related to animals, genetically, so whether you live on acorns and dandelions, or you eat chilled monkeybrains for dessert every night, you're still destroying a living thing to perpetuate your own existence.

At least an animal has half a chance to avoid their fate. Plants can't even run away. 

At the same time, though, when you eat, you're also preserving and bettering your own life, and what's wrong with that?

Humans might not be the single best thing that ever happened to the planet's ecosystem, but we're sentient beings. We create a lot of cool things, and think a lot of cool thoughts, and if any species on Earth has a shot at turning a dead world, like Mars, into a green paradise, it's us.

Cows aint gonna do it. Dolphins aint gonna do it. We just might.

Humans are awesome. We eat animals because we kicked all of their asses, even though we're the weakest, slowest, blindest, and deafest creatures on Earth. We clawed our way to the top of the foodchain, and it took us a couple million years to do it, and now we can celebrate that victory with a nice juicy steak.

The fact that we even care about, and have conversations about, where that steak came from just proves how awesome we are.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6