Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36

Author Topic: LCS 4.06.5 Download (Bank Heists, Mar 2013)  (Read 92898 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.06.4 Download (Bank Heists, Jan 2013)
« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:50 pm »

hope this is not redundant, but you can put the missing letters in there by hand:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Except for the choice of letters, yeah, that's pretty much what I did.

Problem is that thanks to my leaving the Department Store set at half- rather than full-screen, B is a reserved letter (it changes the buyer).  Other than that issue (I don't have the game up right now, so I can't guarantee that no other such conflicts exist), your code ought to work as well as mine.

Yannanth

« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:50:41 pm by Yannanth »

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:39 am »

BTW, I've been looking myself into doing my own custom 'implementation' of LCS if you will... anyone know any framework or library for games (i.e. not Qt, which is geared for apps) that works across both the desktop and mobile fairly effortlessly?

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki    seen this?
don't cook what you can brew

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #378 on: February 20, 2013, 06:09:37 am »

Unfortunately, Apple hates software freedom and doesn't allow copyleft-licensed programs or games on its App Store (the only official means of distribution on the platform, as it is so locked down).

No, Apple does not prohibit copyleft-licensed programs and games from the App Store. It's the GPL which does not permit you to redistribute other people's work through the App Store, because the App Store requires end users to agree to restrictions not permitted under the GPL. The GPL is just an option though; you can still simply get agreement from all copyright holders to submit GPL licensed programs to the App Store, the same way you can with any other app that isn't covered by the GPL. This is a matter of talking to Toady, myself, other developers on LCS, and getting permission to use their work in an iPhone port. Failure to do this opens the app up to being pulled if someone gets in a fluster about it.

The most high profile case of this happening was with VLC, where one of the VLC project leads, an employee of Nokia, demanded that Apple remove a port of VLC from the App Store, which Apple was legally obliged to acquiesce to. Fortunately, most people aren't such monstrous dicks that they act to ruin other people's hard work on an open-source project merely because they can, so this is not a frequent occurrence. But after GNU Go (where the FSF itself had standing to pursue legal action, and did so because they're fundamentalists about this stuff) and VLC, there's been a big chilling effect that scares developers on GPL projects from submitting things to the App Store. This isn't fear of Apple though -- Apple doesn't care. It's fear of legal action from other copyright holders.

Yannanth

« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:42 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:48:47 pm by Yannanth »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:42 am »

Unfortunately, Apple hates software freedom and doesn't allow copyleft-licensed programs or games on its App Store (the only official means of distribution on the platform, as it is so locked down).

No, Apple does not prohibit copyleft-licensed programs and games from the App Store. It's the GPL which does not permit you to redistribute other people's work through the App Store, because the App Store requires end users to agree to restrictions not permitted under the GPL. The GPL is just an option though; you can still simply get agreement from all copyright holders to submit GPL licensed programs to the App Store, the same way you can with any other app that isn't covered by the GPL. This is a matter of talking to Toady, myself, other developers on LCS, and getting permission to use their work in an iPhone port. Failure to do this opens the app up to being pulled if someone gets in a fluster about it.

The most high profile case of this happening was with VLC, where one of the VLC project leads, an employee of Nokia, demanded that Apple remove a port of VLC from the App Store, which Apple was legally obliged to acquiesce to. Fortunately, most people aren't such monstrous dicks that they act to ruin other people's hard work on an open-source project merely because they can, so this is not a frequent occurrence. But after GNU Go (where the FSF itself had standing to pursue legal action, and did so because they're fundamentalists about this stuff) and VLC, there's been a big chilling effect that scares developers on GPL projects from submitting things to the App Store. This isn't fear of Apple though -- Apple doesn't care. It's fear of legal action from other copyright holders.

I imagine that Toady would support the port, and I hope all of the LCS designers would too. We can't leave the medium to such Conservative programmers.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Yannanth

« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:54 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:48:33 pm by Yannanth »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »

Anyway, I think I just realised the reason for Jonathan's unending hostility to testing on Linux. ;)

I'm eager for other people to be able to play on Linux, but I am hostile to the suggestion that I am personally obligated to go out of my way to maintain the Linux port, despite not using that platform myself. I'm hostile to the idea that this is something I should or have to do. The reason this is objectionable to me is that it prevents me from maintaining the game without subscribing to a bunch of additional overhead. I realize it would make life easier for everyone else if I went well out of my way to personally maintain and thoroughly test extensive cross-platform support, installing a new operating system just to maintain a port for a free game I'm freely contributing to. But that obligation would diminish my enthusiasm for the project in general. I'm not being paid to do this anyway, so why curse myself with that sort of responsibility? I'm eager for LCS to have strong Linux support, but I don't use Linux myself, so somebody else will have to take charge of it.

History is on my side here -- LCS has never had a primary maintainer that was directly responsible for the Linux port of the game, it has always been the game's secondary platform. I've tried to be relatively Linux-friendly, but I still don't wear the Linux maintainer hat myself, because I'm not a Linux user.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 20, 2013, 06:09:29 pm »

I agree the GPL is one of the curses of open source. It's great that its usage is declining.

Yannath, the GPL is a way for people to protect the commercial value of their work.  That is why it is doing well in corps, who can then pay the 0.1% of people that actually know rather than use the work for support.  ..  You're calling it a curse probably means that you can not use gpl bits in code you're trying to sell. that is as it should be. 

demanding that people do your ports of gpl'd code, or railing against the gpl just so you can get any code you want for unrestricted re-use makes me want to be able to name an lcs child worker after you. i can make that happen for me. you could probably get lcs going in wine. 

my intuition/speculation here is that j is caught between a rock and a hard place. tarn claims the copyrights and j is doing the work. so j is going into a different direction even though he has quite a gem here.. probably because he has to.  so another option to make happen what you want to see happen might be to find out from tarn how much money he wants to release the copyright to j; that would let j re-use lcs in some closed source commercial cross platform venture that included his current work.  thus you could play in linux

8)
don't cook what you can brew

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:24 pm »

Umm, Jonathan, calm your tits.

Sigged

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2013, 08:40:22 pm »

I agree the GPL is one of the curses of open source. It's great that its usage is declining.

Yannath, the GPL is a way for people to protect the commercial value of their work.  That is why it is doing well in corps, who can then pay the 0.1% of people that actually know rather than use the work for support.  ..  You're calling it a curse probably means that you can not use gpl bits in code you're trying to sell. that is as it should be. 

demanding that people do your ports of gpl'd code, or railing against the gpl just so you can get any code you want for unrestricted re-use makes me want to be able to name an lcs child worker after you. i can make that happen for me. you could probably get lcs going in wine. 

I'm the one ranting against the GPL. If you're going to be dissing anyone for not liking it, it should be me.

The GPL doesn't preserve the commercial value of the protected work, and it isn't intended to. Even if you're the one who initially released the code, the GPL still guarantees the right of anyone to make and sell copies of your work, in direct competition with you. You can read about the philosophy behind it here.

my intuition/speculation here is that j is caught between a rock and a hard place. tarn claims the copyrights and j is doing the work. so j is going into a different direction even though he has quite a gem here.. probably because he has to.  so another option to make happen what you want to see happen might be to find out from tarn how much money he wants to release the copyright to j; that would let j re-use lcs in some closed source commercial cross platform venture that included his current work.  thus you could play in linux

Tarn isn't blocking a commercial sequel. I already asked, he'd be okay with it. My opposition to the GPL is on philosophical and political grounds, not just frustration with my own experiences with it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 23, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »

you could probably get lcs going in wine.
I just want to interject that LCS runs fine in Wine, and also compiled on Linux the last time I tried.

Xaioxaiofan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »

I guess bug reports go here...
Shooting at a car from a car with a .45 pistol causes the game to crash, happens every time the car is hit, no crash if the passengers or driver are hit and no crash if it's a miss.

Edit- If you report a bug that has been annoying you for many, many, MANY weeks it instantly disappears. The instant I posted this I was unable to reproduce the bug... 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:23:10 pm by Xaioxaiofan »

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »

What the hell? Whenever I get raided a new person or whatever gets in my base and asks people questions. Is that new or something?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 01, 2013, 11:32:38 pm »

What the hell? Whenever I get raided a new person or whatever gets in my base and asks people questions. Is that new or something?

No, that's been there since long before I worked on the game. It's pretty rare though, only relatively recently have you had any real incentive to wait out sieges.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36