Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Yume Nikki (Current Fangame: Crypt Worlds Pg. 13) - Dreaming and You.  (Read 31180 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Full openness, with some areas directly accessible and some accessible through others. Absolutely no storytelling - the atmosphere gives you all of the information, and piecing it together is up to the player.

There is no given story, or single commonly accepted one. There are a few major theories, and countless lesser-known ones.

0.10 is the most recent English patch. Japanese is up to 0.17. I don't know why it says obsolete - mine does too (probably because it's the same source).

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Okay, thanks.

And yeah, while there's clearly SOMETHING going on, it's more or less up to the player to decide what the hell is happening. Everything that has been solidly confirmed is in the OP. Namely, the fact that it's a girl of some age, she seems to live in an apartment of some kind, and her name is madotsuki. I'm not even sure if her name is confirmed to be honest. Every other character has their own name, dialogue doesn't exist after the tutorial thing (which is three still images), and from there you wander around in enviroments and try to find "effects" by interacting with the enviroment. There is an ending, and the tutorial tells you how to get there.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The protagonist and the effects are all that have defined names. Even the fact that Madotsuki is a girl isn't given in anything but appearance.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Very true, and yeah, the effects have given names too, forgot about that, wahahah. I'll prolly end up playing a bit of .flow much later tonight and posting a trip report.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile

how to have fun with friends

go to a friends house
wait until nighttime
download yume nikki onto their computer and convince them to play it
after a bit of endless wandering, tell them about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yume Nikki (and related fangames) - Social Detatchment, Dreaming, and You.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 12:00:41 am »

I desperately HOPE the creator doesn't fill in anymore information about the game...

It would destroy a lot of the enjoyment about the game... pretty fast

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 12:39:58 am »

This is an excellent game, though I do understand Neonivek's sentiments. Though I disagree with him. Also, I recommend .flow as the best fangame, though I'll admit to having little experience with the others. Has a bit more plot (for a given definition of plot) a more interesting ending and a much more 'horror' atmosphere.

This is coming from nowhere, but how interested would people be in a series of short 3-D animated movies, depicting parts of the game? It's a project I've wanted to do for a long time, but as I'm not very good at 3-D animation, I've been putting it off until I could build some interest and get someone to model and animate the humanoid things. And maybe help with texturing and atmospheric effects.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 12:47:22 am »

The simplistic nature of the graphics really helps the atmosphere. The feel wouldn't be preserved if you made 3D animations, though you could possibly create a new feel that is as good.

As to the ending, I found Yume Nikki's more interesting than .flow's. Though in .flow,
Spoiler: End credits (click to show/hide)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:28 am »

So, just played a bit of .flow

.flow/yume nikki spoilers, and a lot of .flow's areas and such. Be warned!

Boop.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 01:00:13 am »

Hehe. I want to explain so much that you don't understand yet, but I won't. Sabitsuki means "covered in rust", according to the wiki pages I've read. The rust mechanic is not activated by collecting effects.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 01:03:18 am »

This is an excellent game, though I do understand Neonivek's sentiments. Though I disagree with him.

In what way? Do you want the creator himself to explain the story of Yume Nikki?

Because it was pretty well explained...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:05:58 am by Neonivek »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 01:07:18 am »

Hehe. I want to explain so much that you don't understand yet, but I won't. Sabitsuki means "covered in rust", according to the wiki pages I've read. The rust mechanic is not activated by collecting effects.

Hahaha, yeah, I know the feeling. :P

And yeah, japanese is a very kinda I guess "floaty" language, so that's also a possible take on it. Literal translations aren't always right. Good to know about the rust mechanic too. Hummmm....

And just to get it out there, should debates about whatever means whatever get heated (somehow, B12 is pretty chill I find), try to keep it respectful and respect the spoiler rule. I'm not opposed to theorycrafting, I love doing it in fact, it's the main reason I play (and preferably not let an argument between two things take over the thread either.  :P) these games. And of course at the end of the day agreeing to disagree is fine too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:09:44 am by Seriyu »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:33 am »

There is kinda no... one way to interpret the game

Heck even I have come up with several explanations for the ending, some of the abilities, and characters.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 01:13:52 am »

This is an excellent game, though I do understand Neonivek's sentiments. Though I disagree with him.

In what way? Do you want the creator himself to explain the story of Yume Nikki?

Because it was pretty well explained...

I meant more about the 'better as an LP than as a game' thing. I like it as a game, though I can see why people would find it boring.

And I disagree with you about the story, except for the insular character bit.

There's no way to determine which interpretation is correct, and that's part of the charm.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 01:15:49 am »

Honestly stop that! You keep disagreeing to statements that arn't yes or no. :P

Also what I put in the spoiler isn't really up for debate it is at least the non-interpretable parts. Given the game.

I'll give you a clue for one of them

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:18:04 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13