Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 512694 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3315 on: November 01, 2016, 08:44:27 am »

I was a super villain? With a bunch of other ones in my bedroom?

Wish I remembered my dreams better.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: November 01, 2016, 11:48:13 am »

So, I have this weird dream when I go to sleep last night, and it's me having sex with someone I know but not have seen before. Or maybe it was through a snapchat video, I forget.

Fast forward beyond the sex scenes in the dream(yea, I apparently had the first erotic semi-lucid dream for the first time last night) and I'm talking to this guy in his truck, with his girlfriend, and he's telling me all this stuff about what basically amounts to life and women and relationships and at the end of it I just feel lost, as I wake up. So, I don't know, it's kicking me in the arse here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: November 01, 2016, 02:26:32 pm »

On reflection I think I've had a dream like this before.

I'm somewhere in the Middle East. I know this because of the people and the ancient, hand-cut stone and adobe buildings. The city is old, like, Babylon old. A modern city has been built on top of the ruins of the old but you can see echoes of it all around.

There's something sinister about the city and its people. Buildings are inhabited at the level of squatters where they're not just simply abandoned. People watched with hooded eyes from darkened doorways. All the signs of modernity where we're at are missing, like we turned a corner into an isolated district and left the normal world behind us. I know there's a modern city close by somewhere but it feels worlds away from where we are now.

Something leads me and a group of average people I'm with, whose faces I don't recognize but I feel are locals, to go deeper into basements and tunnels beneath the buildings, until we're under the city.

We find vast cyclopean sewers teeming with people. They're human, but inhuman in many ways. They're filthy, emaciated and rags cover features that are not quite right. There's a sharpness to the angles beneath their rags binding their faces, that turn in ways that are not normal. There's something inherently monstrous about all of them.

Hordes of people labor in the muck of the sluiceways and vast flow tunnels digging and excavating on their hands and knees. To what end I don't know. Groups of guards wearing cruel red lacquered-armor and carrying long spears patrol through the crowds like sentries at a labor camp. Priestesses, equally inhuman and cruel looking, watch over the whole operation. The longer we stay and observe these people, the worse it becomes. Tunnels of filthy waste water become rivers of blood, every inch of the darkened sewers is wetted with it. Atrocities happen unseen but are felt all around. Everything has a religious quality to it.

We know there's still the regular world above us, moving along oblivious to what's going on down here. Something terrible is coming, waiting to break the surface.

I'd classify it as a nightmare except it wasn't, I was more an observer and recorder to terrible things. We were in danger, clearly, but somehow getting at the truth was more important than our personal safety. At times the dream shifted and I was not experiencing it directly. Sometimes I was watching it as a movie and my family was vaguely involved in watching it. Other times, we and this scene were connected as though it was actually part of our world. For some reason I was obsessed with working on my old car, making improvements to prepare it for some doomsday event but being frustrated that something had broken and I'd need to fix it. Something to do with large batteries I needed to bolt to the undercarriage and run wires for. My brother was irate that he'd made all these improvements to his car, because my father kept pestering him to be ready, to the tune of $10,000 he didn't want to spend. I think this is toward when I started waking up because that's how it tends to go with my dreams. They're crisp and vivid but then start to get more confused the closer to wakefulness I get.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:37:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3318 on: November 01, 2016, 05:55:06 pm »

Seems like something out of SCP.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: November 02, 2016, 12:26:48 am »

We had Spock as our guest lecturer (or Leonard Nimoy in character, one of the two.) He ranted about how in the future, reality had restructured into something eldritch due to a nebulous cascade event, and he must keep sane by pretending that there were still vestiges of logic and reality left, while the others fully embraced the insanity of the universe. He then tried to explain the cascade event to us by going on at lengths about string theory and showing a 3D render of a string manifold.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: November 02, 2016, 04:41:46 am »

Seems like something out of SCP.
The use of "cyclopean" as an adjective reminds me more of Lovecraft. I think that nenjin might be having prophetic dreams, seems like Cthulhu is rising.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:00 am »

Cyclopean means coming from the time of the cyclops. It is pretty much the pagan equivalent of antediluvian.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3322 on: November 02, 2016, 07:39:37 am »

So this dream was of the Walking Dead universe, which makes sense as I watched the walking dead right before going to sleep. My perspective was of some character who had recently been inducted into a warband that was once from a fortified farm (I had dreamt of, in a previous dream). Being a new member was a particularly risky situation for this character, as they were distrusted and very likely to get the short end of scavengings or wind up in an unfortunate accident. Being shrewd, this character decided the best way forwards would be to volunteer for the most dangerous tasks and to ingratiate themselves with the leadership, which was led by some scarred lady.
This character suggests scavenging the old farm he knew of, which was a success, with all the old inhabitants sadly being slain. The leader then suggests the warband scale a dockland warehouse where the containers had been untouched as they were surrounded in undead, but the containers within were full of loot. This goes all according to plan. Some bants occurs, some hazing occurs, everything seems going accordingly as the warband scavenges container by container before making for the streets once more.
With night approaching the warband quietly enters a hotel. The lobby is trashed and a chandelier tilts sideways, the paint is chipping off the walls. It looks shit but is in remarkably good condition considering the houses around it have fallen apart. Whilst most of the warband scavenges the lower floors, the leader takes one of the stairs up to some dining area, the POV character follows with one additional man, covering all blind spots. They reach the top at which point the dream flashes back to a bright, vibrant hotel full of guests, and the reality - which is empty, and dimly lit.
That it is dimly lit is a matter of great confusion to the trio, as the tables are well-set with silverware and lit by candles, and there are a lot of tables. Clearly someone is in the hotel or was in the hotel recently, and they have a lot of resources.
Each of the tables has a crystal decanter full of sherry, some more akin to vinegar whilst the more full ones tasted sweet with a fruity aftertaste. The POV character asks for permission to begin distribution sherry throughout the warband, which he gets the affirmative because there's so much. Thing is, you don't keep sherry in a decanter because it ages too quickly in one, so this was further proof that someone was living in the hotel currently.
The warband make their way to the sherry decanters and seat themselves around all the tables, keeping their weapons by their side, when all of a sudden they are accosted by an old woman in a hotel uniform trying to get them to stop mucking about. She doesn't even have any weapons or anything, and her demands don't make any sense. The POV character decides to try and get some information from her by apologizing and returning his own bottle of sherry to her. She asks him if everyone of them was as polite as genghis khan to which he replied, though politeness may vary, all will kill whoever if they have to. Quite confused that this was not the case for her, the POV character asks her how on earth was she surviving?
She then goes on to detail her tragic backstory on how she was born a man, transitioned to an old woman, got recruited in the army, got her friend killed, ended up back at the old miserable hotel living off donations from abroad - at which point the POV character loses their shit. Looks excitedly between the leader and the hotel manager and shouts "she's got contact with the international world." The hotel manager seems quite surprised that this was a shock to them, and leads them into the culinary room where there's about 2 dozen people preparing dinner, and past them there's the phones and the single computer used to coordinate relief resources coming from the rest of the world. Dream ends

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:34 am »

Cyclopean means coming from the time of the cyclops. It is pretty much the pagan equivalent of antediluvian.

It's a combination of antediluvian and "huge." Mythic in scale and proportion.

And yeah, it's a Cthulhu dream if I've ever had one. Strange thing is though, I haven't been consuming any media vaguely like that for a while. Maybe it's all the 40k novels I read.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: November 02, 2016, 02:08:35 pm »

Wow, this dream I just had was so bizarre I can'tnot record what I remember of it.

I remember walking out of someplace, either a large house or a public office of some kind, and passing this woman (who seemed to be based off a character from TV show Shameless mixed with a IRL family friend) making out with her much, much younger lesbian lover who she had recently married. I smirked about this, since the woman was somehow related to an IRL friend of mine and I made a mental note to ask him how his latest something in-law was doing.

Then the dream focused on another plotline, where something strange and secretive was going on at the business owned by that mashup woman (in the show it is a bar, in this I m not sure, it looked like some large, sprawling building like a school or hotel or w/e, I think it was where the remembered part of the dream started) and another character began to get suspicious (in a light-hearted way I think?) and try to catch her out.
She was meant to go out with a bunch of the other central characters but said she couldn't, claiming some vandal had shoved a burning (rubber) mattress into a room in her place and she had to spent a lot of time and effort to clean it ASAP.
The other character, who I believe was talking to her over the phone, smirked and responded with mock sympathy, not believing a word. He then decided to go there and try to see what was really going on and catch her out. She was, of course, making that up but his reconnaissance visit ended up having unintended consequences.

...Now, I can't actually remember what exactly happened there (not to mention what her secret was in the first place), but either the suspecting guy or another bystander character (or possibly both turned out to be a robot(s), and in the course of investigating hectic stuff happened and his programming was somehow scrambled or infected with a virus (I remember the building they were in turning into some weird nightmarish version with a red filter and lots of craziness going on), which controlled him and then got him infected with some other virus-thing and then sent him on some bizarre adventure, which culminated in him winding up in this weird old abandoned, almost post-apocalyptic looking stadium, wearing a mechanical/powered mascot suit depicting some kind of googly-eyed green frog and dancing madly like someone on the tail end of a drug-fueled rave. As he danced it fell apart due to being very old and unmaintained, until he was just wearing the suit's arms and legs and looking even stranger.

As I watched this scene I was quite entertained, since I was finally seeing the "frog mascot dancing in dilapidated stadium" scene, which (a stylised version of it?) was a central parts of the show's (apparently I was watching a TV show) intro sequence.

The scene dragged on for a bit, very minimalistic with the guy dancing away in an otherwise still and empty landscape, and I realised that there was a lot more to look at in the shot. In fact, his dancing made up something just like the size of one, lower-right corner of a large landscape painting, and there was so much more to see in this show (which now seemed to be a beautifully-crafted animation) if you looked around while this long scene was ongoing.

I dragged my eyes away from the continuing, jerky dance and noticed other life in the seemingly abandoned part of town where the old stadium was. (The scene was now like a, not sure how to describe this, but like a large, flat painting, almost like a cross-section of a very cluttered part of a city. Kind of like some concept art from a cyberpunk game or something, with different chunks of city separated by masses (? probably wrong word, sleepy) of buildings in some probably unrealistic and stylized view of the district. I think there is a word for this kind of painting/image, but I have no idea what it is right now, halp.) There was some colourful string of kites or some kind of flags lazily blowing in a breeze and drifting partially out from behind a building, above and to the left of the dancing robot. There were a few other minimalistic little details to pick out amongst the scene.

Then up even higher, further on the left, I spotted some quiet little train/tram stop (it changed from tram to train between scenes, I'm pretty sure) lying quiet amongst the monolithic, ponderous buildings towering around it like some sort of shady canyon. It occurred to me that I was now looking at a very built-up Asian city, which seemed to be some futuristic version of Tokyo- fitting with the cyberpunk theme that seemed to have popped into the dream.

A tram/train (I think it resembled a tram to begin with then became a train for the next scene) arrived and left, rather quickly, and the dream followed it, for reasons that doubtless made more sense at the time. Next shot showed two apparent strangers sitting right next to each other in an (as far as I could see) empty carriage.
That would seem rather strange IRL, and indeed one of the pair, the woman seemed somewhat perturbed by having a stranger seated right next to her, shoulder-to-shoulder, but nowhere near as creeped out as you'd expect of a person IRL.

Then, the man began to speak (in English despite the both of them and their surroundings appearing Asian, I guess my dream-self/subconscious couldn't be bothered reading/writing subtitles!), casually referring to the previous scenes of the dream as he said, "And that's why you don't go out on Saturdays," whilst wearing his wisest, most sage-looking expression.
It seemed this was just another part of the show I'd been watching (although it looked to be live-action again now), almost like the regular way it ended episodes: with some seemingly unrelated character remarking on the events of the episode. Whatever the case, the woman seemed to become kind of annoyed by his faux-deep wisdom and challenged it, whereupon he launched into some rather illogical explanation that reeked of off-the-cuff bullshit, something about how one was better off going out on a Thursday/Friday or Sunday, unless of course they worked on X days of the week, in which case they would... go out on Saturday after all.

Pretty sure the dream ended with the girl getting more irritated (probably due to having some daft stranger in her personal space on public transport as much as his nonsensical explanation, I guess it mounted up) and arguing with him as he just carried on gazing at the camera with his mysterious, perhaps slightly bored but-almost-certainly entirely affected expression of overflowing wisdom.

That dream was a trip. I HAD TO write it down, despite waking up from it at like, 4:30 AM. (It's 4:59 now)
There was a lot more to it, like details on who the hacked robot(s) was/were and how one of them dragged the other into it (the first of the pair may have been human) and what happened to them as they tried to investigate the female character's hotel/whatever and just what the overarching, ongoing plot that threatened them all was. I'm actually just remembering the existence of some overarching, ongoing threatening thing now, but none of the details... there was some ongoing threat, though, lurking in the shadows unknown by most of the characters... not sure what it was but I think the lady was trying to keep some way it had affected her secret. I think it might have involved people being replaced by robots/cyborgs, or existing robot people being replaced by malicious ones WHICH I KNOW IS PRETTY MUCH WHAT HAPPENED but I mean in a slow-paced, secret thing... in this case I believe the affects were just wild, largely accidental and temporary, like a bad trip for the probably-robot  (maybe he was just affected by some organic computer thing, who knows) guy.

It was really quite enjoyable and I wish I remembered more. There was definitely more before the start of this post, too, unless my subconscious is just deceiving me into thinking there was by plonking me down into the dream with a "cold opening" and letting me think stuff's already been going on. :P
Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. I've been having quite a lot of mildly-interesting dreams lately, after a bit of a dreamland dry-spell, but this is the first one that's been bizarre and interesting enough that I've been forced to come to my laptop and record it whilst it was still as fresh as possible. Some very interesting themes going on in this one. Very surreal, yet it felt like I knew and loved the characters. Well, I guess at least one of them was from a favourite show of mine, so.
The scene with the robot-frog-mascot dancing in what turns out to be just one corner of a huge, strange matte painting-style scene was beautiful.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:10:13 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3325 on: November 02, 2016, 02:28:49 pm »

augh you have more ( than )

IT IS UNBALANCED AND MY SQL INJECTION ALARM IS GOING OFF
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: November 02, 2016, 02:30:14 pm »

augh you have more ( than )

IT IS UNBALANCED AND MY SQL INJECTION ALARM IS GOING OFF
'); D ROP TABLE dreams;--

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: November 02, 2016, 03:29:12 pm »

I was frantically trying to record a dream before it faded from my mind, whilst half asleep and very groggy. What do you expect? :P
Earlier I felt like making some sort of companion/clarification post to that description of the dream later on, but now I feel I lack the motivation to do so. Maybe I'm just too tired and hungry and less excited, who knows.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: November 02, 2016, 07:59:51 pm »

Grr one repetitive theme in dream that I haven't found insight on lately :I (or may have but forgot >_>)

It's with spiders.
Web-spinners, rather than awesome jumping spiders. Usually in colonies of the same type, and usually always of the vibrant-hues theme in their coloration. Multiple webs covering an area nearby me, along with multiple visible spiders (meaning around hand-size or such). Now, I've had a somewhat-phobia to spiders since childhood (conversely, the first time I viewed a spider web, it was with awe, then I felt a :-\ feeling back when I was 5. Then I was curious towards that feeling and ever since then, it was more like subconscious monitoring of this development. Aided by awesome dad who got me exposed to spiders (albeit jumping ones) and I love those types now because of their calculative nature)

That said, ALL those spiders never attacked me. They are just...there. And in a more dream-esque fashion (always lucid), in which they have a myriad nature that doesn't seem 'normal like you see IRL', like spindly legs but-this-spider-isn't a long-legs (mite). Or bulbous thorax but iridescently orange all over. Or subsequently hairy...but ticklish :I

I still NEVER want to touch them (mostly because I don't want to bother them) but I do notice the importance in dreams wherein you think it's real and it affects you more than that which you aren't connected to (which is partly why nightmares are really jarring--because of the background concept of realism which could really affect oneself).

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: November 02, 2016, 08:47:52 pm »

[snip]
This reminds me about a dream last night I had where I too was in a cyberpunk themed city, apparently some asian lady was offering me drugs but I felt like I refused the drugs, and then I woke up like 6-ish something my time, with a fish smelling burp afterwards...It definitely was a trip as well.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 339