Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 569065 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3870 on: May 11, 2018, 01:41:55 pm »

I usually have existentially terrifying lovecraftian nightmares about non-Euclidean locations that shift around me constantly and are filled with various threats. Last night it was a little girl that turned into a demonic creature, and two kids running screaming from an invisible but audibly terrifying something. But I wake up relatively unaffected most days.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: May 11, 2018, 03:09:54 pm »

Last night I was in a mood for weird thoughts, but not alcohol, so I had a greasy plate of tater-tots with extra sriracha.  It worked!

I don't remember much, but it was a voluntary psychadelic romp.  I was a group of semi-"good" vampires, then I was fighting a single evil vampire (with a big beard) who made clones of himself.  Using victims?  I'm not sure because I interrupted his monologue by becoming a party of hippos, and/or elephants, and wandering off to graze.

There was also some sort of cat-like monster, deadly yet cuddly.  Maybe a lion.  It purred in my arms!
I woke up feeling pretty good.  I felt like I could have woken up at any time, and that feeling (true or not) allowed me to experience the rather dark parts without fear.

(My Fallen London character didn't do so well.  After hunting a beast through a field of needle-and-knife-like plants, being sutured with rat-whiskers, and eventually being swallowed whole...  There was a dark cavern (inside the monster!) full of formless, jealous creatures who steal sensation.  "Good place to leave off for the night!" said I, then happily dreamed of vampires)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: May 13, 2018, 07:06:25 am »

Two semi-lucid dreams last night.

After a fuss attending a Doctor Who convention (the last day of, having gone by bus and been short-changed by the bus-conductor, but also got a golden (actial gold!) certificate of attendance as part of the fare, though it was just to "the stop after the bus-station", and I didn't say I was going there for that) and meeting many characters I 'know' (more charicatures of RL people I might see once a year or so, or last saw in university, and not at a Whovian convention, because I've never been to one of those) I realised that this wasn't actually the happy occasion of reunion that it could have been, because it was a dream, and was telling people this. Even tried to sort of prove it by trying to invoke my classic 'hoverfeet' flying thing, but I wasn't actually too convincing and I didn't seem to persuade anyone that they were fictional. Then I woke up.

After drifting back off again, there was now a weird story set in a snowy maintainous area, that at one point included a Muppet being allowed to pilot a plane. A small childish muppet (like Elmo) but purple (like Gonzo). Some confusion over whether the plane was piloted by Enzo/Golmo or by the muppeteer (blind, from below the level of the cockpit), when control was handed over to him/it/him from the pilot in the rear tandem seat but it was handed over (not just faked, like the chimp driver in the Cannonball Run film) and wasn't flown very well (because the plane made some impossibly hard landings/bounces, in error).

Then it goes over a ridge and BOOM, a fireball, and debris and (obligatory) burning wheel flies over the lip of the ridge and down the near slope. But it must be faked, because the slope is lined with traffic cones and people in high-vis jackets, obviously a pre-planned effect.

Needing to see this up close, I go towards this, but along the way the slope changes to being downhill away from me, the snowy mountainous terrain changes to damp forest plantation and the coned-off area now designates a (mud-?)tobohgan event for kids, with the adults in jackets being organisers of this event.

It seems a little ridiculous, and I'm out of place here, so I wander off to the right towards a building complex. All harsh angular concrete, painted white. With glitches!

Some walls flicker, as per a clipping error in a custom Doom map¹, and it makes me aware of their unreality. But I ignore them, mostly. But I keep the feeling of unreality (in a 'dream' way, rather than hologram/tech/etc).

Entering a building, through what I come to assume is an unintentionally unlocked door, I appear to be in a medical complex. On one level, there's a notice on a door warning about some sort of nanite being loose in the area, potentially 'infectious' even though it seems that authorised people (patients, visitors, staff) who should be there are safe enough. I balk, though, and move on elsewhere. To what seems to be the head of a maglev monorail (and carpark) as viewed from a kind of restaurant/breakfast bar seating area that crosses (and, impossibly, blocks off without blocking off) the last few tens of feet of magrail. Other people there seem to assume that I'm supposed to be there, perhaps some part of the same cultish technoconspiracy I seem to have wandered in on, and I play along as I watch (and comment upon) some cars trying to reorder themselves (ok, with drivers, though one is also a seemingly intelligently-reconfiguring maglev/wheeled hybrid sports chassis, and may have some self-driving features) in the car-park without crossing the magrail, as a small maglev carriage arrives and (somehow) passes through to behind where I have been sitting, basically straight atop that track.

Then I woke, again.

¹ Which reminds me of my DOOM map I playfully concocted a while back, in actual Real Life. Strange to have come up in a recent dream.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:09:35 am by Starver »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: May 14, 2018, 03:13:30 pm »

I keep being unable to wake up from dreams that I know are dreams when it's time to wake up in the morning.

I lucid dream like, multiple times a night, so that's not unusual. But like, I cannot wake up. I wake up into another dream, lately.
Same here.  Not so much this week, but it comes and goes.
Like being stuck in a fever.  One's imagination is manageable when you can wake up.  Even if things get awful, shockingly so, it's kinda okay if it's just a dream.  Being able to leave makes it okay, I'm there by choice, trying to listen to my subconscious and address its/my concerns.

Being stuck changes the paradigm.  Ugh, at least I don't usually realize I'm trapped until the third iteration or so, usually near the end.

As far as I remember.  Who knows what happens to us, in the times we forget.  Doesn't bear thinking about.

Ya like, I "wake up" and my first thing is to look around and say "ok, so, am I actually awake". But I can always change things, it's my dream after all. I just don't want to be asleep, and it's irritating.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: May 16, 2018, 06:47:43 am »

So last night before i left work i exchanged some pretty heated words with my supervisor, the one who had complained about my smelling bad and is just generally not a pleasure to work with. I just had a dream related to that in which we were arguing and then my brother came out of nowhere and grabbed me and starts yelling in my face about how hes going to make me a liar and strangling me. Apparently, when i tried to kick him, i kicked my dog in reality, and woke up. I feel terrible about this and shes all upset too because she thinks shes in trouble. This is horrible. I have a meeting with the big boss in only 12 hours, because apparently she called him after id left. This couldnt get any worse.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: May 16, 2018, 10:56:21 am »

Trust me, it can get a LOT worse.....

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: May 26, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »

I had a dream where I was suddenly visited by my dead Uncle. It was like "Oh, he really didn't die! He's right here! He's back!" and I was ecstatic. I was in my old house, and I saw him standing outside through my window, and I was rushing as fast as I could to get dressed to go talk to him, but I woke up breathing heavily and sopped in sweat, I was just too excited.

I'm crying a little.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: May 27, 2018, 09:28:40 am »

I was basically a Star Wars stormtrooper/low level MMORPG character who didn't rate a vehicle yet, so I was jogging down a long dusty road on some fetch quest.  But I was keeping alert, because there was a pretty active battle going on in the area, so I needed to keep my head down.

Then I see this awful mutated rat in the road.  It moves *fast* and I'm dream-sluggish, but I manage to dodge and jump around until I finally manage to land a strong kick, defeating it.  That felt good for a moment, until a rat-king appeared.  In this setting: a roiling mass of mutated flesh and tentacles, somehow almost as fast as the lone rat, laughing psionically at me as it serpentined down the road.  I ran as fast as I could, screaming in horror, suspecting that it would absorb me.

It nipped at my heels for a bit, just having fun I think, before suddenly stopping.  It started gradually growing larger, creeping over the ground as a fleshy, ratty tide.  Clearly Command needed to hear about this, also I needed help and to be anywhere else, so I kept running to a nearby radio tower.  Not that I had a radio, I just wanted a vantage point to see where to go. 

And sure enough, I spotted an SUV approaching!  I hopped off the tower (heh, dreams) and intercepted the SUV.  It was a mother driving her middle-school daughter into town.  I begged until she reluctantly let me in - she didn't seem worried about anything, just indifferent.  I caught my breath as we rode into town.  Oh hey, kids are good with technology right?  I struck up a conversation with the child, and sure enough, she could totally contact command for me.  I promised I had vital secret information that would save a lot of lives, and basically got "Sure whatever, I'm bored" and "I'll be at the mall, bring her afterward".

One part I really liked was that I asked how she knew so much tech stuff, and she said she'd started by tinkering with bicycles.  "Me too!  I can tune a spoke, but not a radio" I said.  idunno I just thought it was clever wordplay for a dream.

The "town" was more a futuristic megacity, with lots of traffic.  The mother really didn't pay attention to the road, but somehow we avoided hitting anyone.  Barely.  Such a dream trope, being driven poorly.  But we got dropped off next to a friend of the girl who was waiting in the street with comm equipment, and they got started. 

Somewhat bored, I picked up a really cool katana someone had dropped.  It was actually a naginata, and it had blood on it.  "Oh, you should definitely put that down" they said.  I agreed, not wanting to accidentally be a target for dueling.  Which was fortunate because just then a group of Yakuza came down a stairway.  They just sort of smiled at us as we respectfully stared at the ground and bowed slightly.
And then we contacted headquarters and the dream ended, mission accomplished!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:30:42 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: May 28, 2018, 03:55:50 am »

odd dream I had last night.
I go into a comedy club in some big city, all there is is a man screaming on stage for a few minutes. when he stops screaming the audience laughs. but after a few rounds of screaming and laughing he proceeds to say "Hi. Welcome to my Ted Talk" and talk about why he wants to fuck stalin.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: May 28, 2018, 03:10:32 pm »

I just befriended this cute, rather muscular girl with some vague, undefined romantic aspirations. It turned out she was a lesbian who had gotten married that morning in a net in the ocean.

Mildly disappointed, I nonetheless feigned some also-mild enthusiasm as she showed me this folder/scrapbook of wedding photos.
"What a badass couple," I said duly, and it just so happened that we were at the shore (in some heavily built-up area) near the spot where the wedding had taken place.

The huge, long net that had been used was still there, and at that point her girlf-- er, wife, showed up, and they explained that the net was actually involved in their primary hobby, which was basically jumping into the sea holding the net, while the other girl held the other end and pulled it tight to produce a sort of whip-cracking effect and launch her. I don't know, it made sense in the dream.

Anyway, they asked if I wanted to try and I figured what the hell, taking up position in the middle of the net and gripping the thick ropes it was woven from.

I and my friend leapt in, whilst her partner stayed on the seawall (?) to act as our anchor with her hulking muscles - though I didn't realise this at first and actually pushed her in once as I warmed to the game, before her role was explained to me.

Anyway, the sea was basically surf, high winds churning it madly against the shore we were on and the base of some nearby bridge or pier. I'm not sure if these weather conditions were ideal for the activity or not, but before long we were achieving phenomenally high leaps out of the water.

It was exhilarating, unlike anything I could remember feeling before - in this dream, at least. It was like how it felt to chew 5 gum or some shit.
My friend shouted to me over the sound of the water that we should be careful, that if I got too high I would be unable to hang on to the net. It seemed to me that my last jump had been perilously close to the height she described, which concerned me, but I figured I'd return to solid ground after my next jump.

As I rose into it from the water, our shore-bound companion fiercely cracking our strange human whip, I felt myself surging upwards, rising higher than ever before. Then, as my body swung upside down I felt incredible g-force as the rope slowly began to pull taught. I set my fists in a vice-like grip and clung to that rope for dear life, seemingly eking every last bit of strength from every muscle in my body, but it was no use.

I was flung into the sky, almost directly upwards, my body slowly turning as I went.
It was peculiar to feel so entirely helpless, knowing there was nothing I could do and that I had no miraculous gadget on me with which to save myself. There was a long moment of almost peacefulness, then the pressure of high altitude began to squeeze at me, with me having shown no signs of losing momentum.

Inevitably I passed through the various layers of atmosphere, somehow not burning to a crisp in the process but doomed nonetheless. Pressure and various forces were severe enough already,  then I slipped out into the blackness of space and felt vacuum squeezing me. I survived a few seconds, floating onwards whilst feeling my lungs fill with it and pondering with some trepidation what lay after death, then was abruptly crushed into a bloody paste of gibs.

I was immediately replaced by a ghostly version of myself where my body had been. "Oh cool," I thought, "it's like SS13."
I floated around for a bit in space, not long enough for the horrors of being stuck out there in such a form to occur to me, before I was approached by some massive being.

My memory is unfortunately hazy here since I was about to wake up, but he (for it was a he, a huge, vaguely human form) plucked me back to... where?

Some sort of strange, mountainous settlement. Here a lot of Dwarf Fortress influence came into the dream. This gigantic, cartoonish, bearded figure (who looked a bit like Doctor Robotnik with dark, curly hair wearing hospital scrubs) carried me in his hand as he loomed out from behind this mountain.
(The dream was in a side-scrolling perspective at this point.)

He began bellyaching to me about all the problems that had befallen this place (which was something like a mix of a dwarf fortress and a NanoTrasen space station), leading to its imminent end, and asked me what had taken place in another, remote part of it that was offscreen somewhere up the mountain - perhaps where my earlier, forgotten dream adventures has begun, before I ever crossed the path of a certain cute lesbo? - some kind of research outpost, I think, to which I replied that it had also fallen (and saw it on screen briefly) quite some time ago.  I'm not sure how I escaped.

He replied in a sad or possibly aggrieved tone that those pesky research outposts were always the first to go, then returned his attention to more immediate matters.

Was this, then, Armok himself? A Df player personified? I do not think so, he seemed to watch over the players. To observe their games, and cast judgements. He didn't seem particularly omnipotent, though - but this time he had a plan, a plan to take revenge on these vaguely-defined monsters that were flooding up to destroy the fortress from somewhere below (demons, possibly, but I don't think they were described as such nor looked particularly like cliche demons - plus they came from outside the fortress).

He had, in his flying boat (which we now seemed to be hovering in - it was very cartoonist), a cubic buttload or so of big-ass bombs. After explaining his (rather simple) plan and the reasoning behind it to me, and perhaps talking for a while on other topics whilst waiting for the right moment, he opened a gate on his stylised wooden galleon and sent this shitload of round bombs, adorned with flashing red lights, bouncing down the mountainside like an avalanche.

I briefly spectated on the flurry of explosions as they began to hit the forerunners of the horde, my side-on camera angle shifted downwards just far enough to catch the occasional glimpse of the creatures themselves amongst the blasts, and then I woke up to my alarm going off.

Tl;dr: met a cute girl who turned out to be a lesbian and was launched accidentally through the stratosphere by she and her incredibly muscular wife, whereupon after my messy demise I became an ss13-style ghost and met some kinda god who may-or-may-not have been Armok and we dumped a whole bunch of bombs out of a flying boat onto the demons that had wrecked his fortress/futuristic research settlement.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:15:18 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: May 28, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »

You people have such cool dreams

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: June 01, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »

The research stations really are the first to go, heh.  Particularly if you count the dwarf fortresses set up just to test something, then abandoned.
That dream was pretty epic, though, and I think I'm using the word right!  I miss having SS13 dreams heh, I should play again sometimes.

I can't remember most of my dream, but I was a superhero sidekick with a bunch of other sidekicks.  We were climbing up and down telephone poles for some reason.  I think we were supposed to skate along the lines, but didn't.

I mean, it beats the point around 4AM where I woke up and kept hallucinating someone in my bed when I tried to fall back asleep :P  Like 3 times, bleh.
She/they

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: June 02, 2018, 12:24:59 am »

I had another instance of this damn recurring nightmare I get where i'm flying and there's electric hazards.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: June 02, 2018, 01:15:02 am »

I had a dream a couple years ago.
   It was set in the 2050s-2070s, specifically after a period of time which ended in a technological singularity beginning in the late 2010's and ending near the time the first humans finally became sufficient on Mars. Me and a group of other people were sent to a site, where we took an oath by our own volition. Then the people that made us take this oath were instantly sealed behind a closing door, and the group was thrown into a set of trials. A couple first ones were basic military training exercises, like live fire drills(not kidding, saw some people get shot in the dream and die on the floors as we walked through a building with bullet residue, blood and gore everywhere. Kind of spartan in nature tbh) but it ended in a foxhole where my best friend-Specifically my best friend that I had gone through 'training' with, died, and most of the people excluding me and a couple fell victim to some type of zombie-like creature(s). Then we learned how to time-travel, which was pretty cool. However, this was the start of a 'second' technological singularity which resulted in WW3, a fleet of planes coming from over the atlantic dropping army's of paratroopers that were just as well trained as us in Boston, first, specifically.

I remember fighting through the city, having to rewind to the moment of my death and stop time before my death to rewind to a earlier or latter point in time in a alternate timeline which I had not died to continue my basic survival. I saw a child and a man I recognize from my life, living there, and the child was recognized to me as a 'starchild'-A concept I learned early in childhood IRL, probably psychological basis. At the end, yea, I died, but it was karmic in energy feeling(those who live by the sword die by the sword kinda vibe)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: June 02, 2018, 11:57:03 am »

I jusf woke up from a strange dream where i had a shopping cart full of groceries i was riding down the roadside when a train crossed the road. I couldnt stop the cart and I barely passed in front of the train before it crossed the road, as did a couple cars. We all stopped on the side of the road and while i was watching the trqin go past i noticed a couple little girls were breaking into my cheese sticks, so i took them away. Then i noticed a bunch of my groceries had been removed and i looked around and everyone was making sandwiches and shit out of my food! So i took my stuff and grabbed a tub of icecream someone had left beside an 18 wheeler with like a dozen trailers and that shit just fell apart. So i took my rickety beaten up cart down the road, it looked like it had been mauled by a bear now, and then something else happened but i cant remember any of it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 339