Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253540 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Clockwork Empires - **Earliest access! Testing Details linked in OP **
« Reply #1485 on: August 14, 2015, 06:53:58 am »

Gotta say that the latest patch has done wonders for the game. The new work group interface is fantastic by the way. Much easier to use, more compact, clearer as to what is happening. The only other thing I'd want for it is to set the maximum 'desired' workers so that new immigrants are assigned where I want them.

For example I may only need an overseer and one worker in the carpentry shop to keep up with plank demands for now, but might want a full group in the kitchen. I set desired workers for the carpentry group to 1, desired workers for the kitchen group to 4, and when I get new workers they are assigned accordingly. Just a thought

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 14, 2015, 08:53:38 am »

Gotta say that the latest patch has done wonders for the game. The new work group interface is fantastic by the way. Much easier to use, more compact, clearer as to what is happening. The only other thing I'd want for it is to set the maximum 'desired' workers so that new immigrants are assigned where I want them.

For example I may only need an overseer and one worker in the carpentry shop to keep up with plank demands for now, but might want a full group in the kitchen. I set desired workers for the carpentry group to 1, desired workers for the kitchen group to 4, and when I get new workers they are assigned accordingly. Just a thought

You should probably post this in their forums as well.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1487 on: August 14, 2015, 10:49:53 am »

But then I'd have to go register...

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 14, 2015, 11:58:07 am »

But then I'd have to go register...

Yeah but if you want it as a feature they may not hear it from anyone else.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 14, 2015, 05:23:42 pm »

I am rather annoyed by the fact that you can only scroll using wasd and not by using the arrow keys or by pushing the mouse to the edge of the screen or by holding down right/middle mouse button and drag.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1490 on: August 14, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »

I am rather annoyed by the fact that you can only scroll using wasd and not by using the arrow keys or by pushing the mouse to the edge of the screen or by holding down right/middle mouse button and drag.
you can also move around by right clicking the ground to recenter but that's annoying. I've always hated edge scrolling and only use WASD myself.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 14, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »

I changed the control scheme to IJKL.

EDIT: And I have no idea if I changed it or it's just already valid, because the control screen is non-existent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:49:09 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 20, 2016, 04:39:33 am »

Jolly good, I think some clockwork necromancy is in order.

There is a new version out again, now featuring foreign offices, trades and so forth. Game seems to run smoother and better, no slowdowns due to population detected yet. Heartily recommended.

There was a freezing bug but once I reported it, hotfix was issued overnight. Splendid, I say.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 21, 2016, 02:15:33 pm »

rise_from_your_grave.wav

Looks like this is on sale on Steam for a little less than two days as of the time of this post. 

Didn't even realize this was out in early access!  Kudos!  I may have to throw money at this in the near future.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 21, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »

So, how's this game shaping up at this point?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 21, 2016, 09:21:31 pm »

I haven't checked out the latest build yet but they're entering beta finally

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 22, 2016, 09:08:14 am »

The new build seems nice, but there are two questionable choices. First, event messages filling the screen are gone and instead they go to a message log on the right side of the screen. This makes them very easy to miss, I wish there was a toggle for it. Second, workshop queues are now module-dependant. So you can set one workbench to make planks and the other to make beds, simultaneously. This is mostly good, but you can't put in long lists of work to be done anymore. So I can't, say, tell the carpenter to make three beds, two tables and two doors. I can only tell him to make three beds, then put in the order for the tables when the beds are done.

One constant remains; early raids will fuck you up royally. There is a need for balanced pacing there or possibly embarkation choice regarding whether to go to a dangerous area or not.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 22, 2016, 03:58:15 pm »

The new build is good, but there are also some issues with it.  I've gotten instability crashes and whatnot after something like five hours of gameplay, which isn't bad.  I've also found that there are issues with stockpiles updating the amount of materials stored, thus interfering with the new workshop queues.  The Minimum # command doesn't seem to work at all at the moment.

Other than that it is shaping up fine.  Also, it only takes one or two soldiers to deal with early raids.  I've had bandits spawn between 3 and 4 in number, and the NCO plus another soldier or two will deal with them quite easily.  Also, build a barracks and make sure they train up to redcoats.  Heh.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 22, 2016, 04:31:39 pm »

Hey folks :D

We have nailed down fixes for all of the crash bugs that have been submitted to us at this point, and we're testing a hotfix for them now so hopefully that'll be up today.

The alert feedback is great, and there are plans to make them a little bit more visible but I might put a little more emphasis on that going forward if you're not seeing them. The big things over the screen would just cause all sorts of pileup problems, and players would be about to click in the middle of the screen as it was coming up and click something they didn't want. It was a mess. Still not perfect but it's getting a lot of love right now.

The workshop thing was actually required in order for using large workshops not to be a nightmare though. If you have a power saw, for instance, it can currently only makes planks and maybe 1 or 2 other things, but can do them in large batches. The carpentry bench could make basically everything but very slowly. If we didn't make recipes per-module, if you had both in one workshop and a workbench finished a job a hair before a power saw, it might decide to take a job to make planks that the power saw really ought to be doing, and you lose a TON of efficiency off of things you can't really control. This does give players a little bit more gardening to do but honestly it's not inherently a bad thing to motivate a little interaction as long as the choices aren't always the same. If you're always building the same thing you can just build a few modules in the workshop, set minimum orders, and leave it there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1499 on: May 22, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »

The workshop thing was actually required in order for using large workshops not to be a nightmare though. If you have a power saw, for instance, it can currently only makes planks and maybe 1 or 2 other things, but can do them in large batches. The carpentry bench could make basically everything but very slowly. If we didn't make recipes per-module, if you had both in one workshop and a workbench finished a job a hair before a power saw, it might decide to take a job to make planks that the power saw really ought to be doing, and you lose a TON of efficiency off of things you can't really control. This does give players a little bit more gardening to do but honestly it's not inherently a bad thing to motivate a little interaction as long as the choices aren't always the same. If you're always building the same thing you can just build a few modules in the workshop, set minimum orders, and leave it there.
It does however cause lost efficiency as well, or an excessive amount of player fiddling with buttons.

Let us say I have a carpentry workshop with 4 stations.

My goal is to build 10 cots and 10 cabinets.

For cots I need planks. For cabinets I need bricabrac (sp?)

I could set the jobs as follows:

Station 1: Make planks up to 20 (aka always keep 20 planks)
Station 2: Make bricabrac up to 5 (aka always keep 5 bricabrac)
Station 3: Make 10 cabinets
Station 4: Make 10 cots

In this setup, suppose I have 3 workers in the work gang and I start with nothing but raw wood.

What happens?

One guy starts to make planks while everyone sits around, right? Well that's not good. That is 3 person's labour not getting done. Once a few planks are made, either some bricabrac or some cots get made. Either way it trickles through slowly. Not very sensible BUT it would get done eventually without me checking on it again. This is important because there is often a lot going on and remembering to juggle fiddly production orders over and over is tedious and demands a lot of attention

Instead I could do some calculations and discover I need (just as an example, I haven't looked at the numbers closely) 40 planks total. Well I could set each station to make 10 planks. It goes faster, but now I have to remember to check back when they've finished. And what if I also have a building (kitchen) pending that also needs planks? I need to remember to go adjust it upwards a bit and spread it over the 4 workstations. And once they've finished, I need to go set up jobs for bricabrac, then for cots, then for cabinets. Nowhere can I simply queue what I want and leave it, ala Dwarf Fortress's job manager wherein I can say "Make me 40 planks, make me 20 beds, make me 12 bookshelves, etc" and it handles the rest. In DF I can restrict a workshop's availability by profiles, saying "I only want this masonry shop making blocks while that one is available for furniture" and then no matter how many blocks or furniture I queue up, I know the blocks will only be produced in the block-restricted workshop (which is further restricted to allow only my shitty mason because quality is unimportant for blocks) while furniture is only made from my second workshop which only allows my grand master mason because he makes good stone chairs.

Perhaps the ability to group workshop modules together and establish a shared queue might work for this implementation?

In your example with the powersaw, allow the powersaw its own queue wherein I can tell it to keep me 35 planks and 22 bricabrac (or whatever) while the other 3 carpentry modules share a separate queue where I can put furniture and other boxed modules?

Basically the lack of a queue is kind of a killer for anything but very small batches, and any 'standing' production orders are a waste of a workstation because once fulfilled that workstation will never be used for anything else. I could just build more, sure, but now I'm being forced to be wasteful just for efficiently using my workforce or I have to cancel the order and reset it later which is annoying
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:24:59 pm by forsaken1111 »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 105