Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: why do I have so many immigrants  (Read 4374 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
why do I have so many immigrants
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:46:55 am »

I started with a minimal pick, plump helmet (1) and trained dorfs.

We barely got started when we got at least 8 dwarfs, then another over 5 in the next wave, then 27 immigrants and now another 10  Why so many?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: why do I have so many immigrants
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:41 am »

You always get the first two relatively small waves and after that the waves get bigger depanding on your fortress wealth etc. You will get immigrants until you reach your population cap.

So, you either have to decrease your pop cap or keep your fort's wealth low by avoiding excess engraving/smoothing/encrusting etc and not crafting any high quality items you don't need.

Edit: Ok, I probably just stated something you already knew.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:37 am »

Ah, I'm probably engraving too much.  thanks.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:34:27 am »

If you do not wish to have so many dwaves you can edit the init file to have a smaller population cap, and less children as well if you so desire.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »

Carving will increase fortress wealth by a lot. The current wealth of the fortress [ (z) button, or "status"] will appear on the right. Higher amounts will increase immigrant waves. Change the [POPULATION_CAP:##] in the d_init.txt under df_34_11/data/init to change your population cap.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:05:37 pm »

It is a bug as far as I'm concerned.

The number of migrants is just ridiculous. In my current fortress I didnt have a single bedroom dug when we reached population of 60.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:11:11 pm »

Yeah, I agree with above that it's a kind of bug, migrant waves almost always overwhelms me even if I focuses my fortress on building up to take them in from day one. I uses pop-cap as work-around, as if the leader is telling the liaison "No more! We're full!".

I think the bigger migrant wave's side effect of Toady setting almost everyone up to have some history, it's been pretty explosive since 31. and a lot more migrant children in 34.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:52:14 pm »

Ohmigosh, so many migrants! If only, somehow, we had enough dwarves to dig out rooms and make beds, cabinets and coffers in large numbers! But where would we get all those dwarves from?!?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:24 pm »

Ohmigosh, so many migrants! If only, somehow, we had enough dwarves to dig out rooms and make beds, cabinets and coffers in large numbers! But where would we get all those dwarves from?!?
QUICK GRAB THE CHILDREN

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Ha, It is outrageous. Just got a wave of 38 when previously I only had 15 dwarves, so now I got 53.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 07:05:21 pm »

With a pop cap set to 50 I've seen the 1st wave have 25+ dwarves before.  In that fortress I happened to dig into a pocket of olivine so without any engraving I had a legendary dinning hall before summer even started.  I think I got an artifact olivine door to go with it, which didn't help, as I believe the second wave had another 25 to 35 dwarves in it.

In my current fortress, I built above ground, used a dorm for the starting 7 plus first two migrant waves, and didn't break 20 dwarves (required to start getting moods) until the spring of the second year (about the time of the first elven caravan).  Since I didn't dig any rock, and didn't bother with exports until the second dwarven caravan, I got very few migrants even during the second year; I think I had a pop of 35 during the second winter. In the third year, however, I dug out a bunch of 3x3 bedrooms that were a quarter marble, a quarter kaolinite, and a quarter malachite.  I went from ~35 to 52 in my first wave that third year, and gained another 10 or 15 the second wave, and got to 75 dwarves with the third wave that arrived shortly before the third caravan, the liaison, and the goblin bowmen that killed the liaison. (He really shouldn't have let them guide him to my fortress ... *sigh*).

In short, the pop cab works, but it appears the liaison checks your fortress, goes back to the MH and says, "Oh yeah, they got lots of room!" or "Don't bother, they are full." based on your pop cap and current pop at the time he was there. (this is the first time I've gotten such a clear ignore of the pop cap because the liaison hadn't returned yet.)  So, lower the pop cab, and dig/sell less, and you will not receive many migrants.  Oh, and get lots of migrants killed by stuff and they won't show either. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 07:49:56 pm »

Your sarcasm is duly noted. However, the difficulty is in relegating construction work to your 20 new citizens, as well as balancing other jobs so no other branch of industry gets ignored. Then you have to equip, clothe, feed, and provide quarters for these newcomers while trying to keep them busy in order to stave off excessive party-throwing.
Five new migrants every season is manageable. Twenty is ridiculous.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »

Yeah, that's why when I want a slow growth, I start with a pop-cap of 15, then only raise it by 5 every spring.   Latest fort, started with a pop-cap of 25, ended up with about 35 dwarves after a year. 

When I start with a pop-cap of 15, then go up slowly, I get migration waves of only 5-10 dwarves at a time.  When I bump up in larger amounts, I get much larger migration waves.

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »

Maybe we can get a population cap control in-game? So instead of having to modify the init file, we can just set the number in game so as to minimize that annoyance? Perhaps even allow a cap to the number of migrants you can get per season? It does seem kinda of ridiculous to get so more migrants than actual residents in a single wave.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

Immigrants just seem to come and come. An ingame controller for the immigrant waves would be nice, I wonder if there is a mod for that yet...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: [1] 2