Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching FB, Titans and Clowns without GCS webs  (Read 656 times)

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catching FB, Titans and Clowns without GCS webs
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:12:21 am »

Ok, I got an idea.
You now cage traps will trigger if FB or Clown will fall on it unconscious or immobile; hence, using GCS webs has been the best solution so far? However, I find the thing with capturing and then provoking GCS too much hastle. Here I am proposing a better solution which only involves pressurized water.

oo+oooooo
o^+ . . X # o k
o^+ . . X # o k
o^+ . . X # o k
o^+ . . X # o k

. - open space
o - walls
+ - floor
^ - cage traps
X - Floodgates
k - Levers
# - pressurized water

So, when a FB gets in this narrow corridor, drawbridges(not drawn) trap him. 
Then on the opposite side, a lever is pulled that opens a certain FloodGate, shooting pressurized water at target, knocking him down on the cage trap.

QUESTION: Will it work? Would someone be willing to test it?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catching FB, Titans and Clowns without GCS webs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »

This might not work because F.B.s and clowns alike are immune to stun. They are vulnerable to webs, but not stunning, which is why G.C.S. set ups are common. Also they swim, fly and path through water, so the water pressure might not do it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »

This might not work because F.B.s and clowns alike are immune to stun. They are vulnerable to webs, but not stunning, which is why G.C.S. set ups are common. Also they swim, fly and path through water, so the water pressure might not do it.

Won't the water push them aside, though? I thought water/magma pressure pushed things, which is how carp can get through fortifications on rivers.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:50:34 pm »

It may or may not push him.  But irregardless of whether or not he moves onto the cage, or pressure smashes him into the wall, or he gets submerged...Nothing will stun him.  This is why you also cannot drop caveins next to them to shockwave them into the traps.

These factors are the reason the GCS webs are so damn famous and cliche, its the only method we have.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:51:59 pm »

Won't the water push them aside, though? I thought water/magma pressure pushed things, which is how carp can get through fortifications on rivers.
The water might push him, but that is not the reason fish can go through fortifications on rivers. Rather, fish are able to go through because once a fortification tile has 7/7 liquid in it (either magma or water) then any creatures that can swim can go through the fortification as if it wasn't there.

And as celem mentioned, it won't work, simply due to the fact that FB's and clowns are immune to stun, meaning the only way to catch them are to catch them with webs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.