Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Knights of the Old Republic  (Read 1841 times)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Knights of the Old Republic
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:12 am »

Just read on RPS that it's been released on Steam for £6.99. Is that $10?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/24/get-these-kotor-2-and-its-restored-content-mod/

So I'll probably buy this when I'm home, would it be worth getting the first one too? Anyone else getting it?

Edit: I have 666 posts and shan't ever be posting again. OBEY YOUR MASTER

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:08:08 am by Briggsy16 »

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:51:23 am »

I would have to say that the first game is much better then the second game. Besides, they have a connected storyline.

So, grab the first one and if you enjoy it (and you will), then grab the second. :)

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:19:56 am »

Like Zestorum said: grab them!
I would wait for a steam sale though. Kotor is quite old and the price doesn't seem really right(i got them both some years ago for 15 euros).
And concerning the game, the first have a more deep, interesting story(omgwhatatwist moments aside), and i heartily reccommend it.
In the second the story feel like someone has taken the first one, slapped a big EPIC!!! sticker on it and inflated it with helium, so isn't as good as the predecessor but still really good. And the second have also a better and more enjoyable gameplay.
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:30:13 am »

I've never played two, so I can't speak definitively, but I back zestorum. The first one is a classic, and the same price on steam (Often reduced to 50% or less). I however, loved the first one and always had trouble tracking down the second, so this is great news for me.

I only hope I can be as big a dick in the second one as in the first. All problems can be solved through violence.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:49:17 am »

I only hope I can be as big a dick in the second one as in the first. All problems can be solved through violence.
Oh you can, you totally can
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:01:35 am »

The second one is an Obsidian game, and as such is much better written, but badly unfinished. Luckily fans have released patches to add in a lot of the unfinished or cut content to round it out.

It's also worth noting that I think they've had KoTOR2 up on Steam before, but had to take it down for some reason. So if you want it be wary of waiting for too long, as it could eventually get removed again.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:04:42 am »

667 posts :(

Aye, the RPS article I linked to has a fan patch in that's meant to be very good for kotor 2

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:57 am »

I seem to recall that Kotor2 is the only crpg in which you can play evil, and not the retarded " gief what i want, u die" kind of evil... Don't remember much of the plot though, except that it was good.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:20 am »

I seem to recall that Kotor2 is the only crpg in which you can play evil, and not the retarded " gief what i want, u die" kind of evil... Don't remember much of the plot though, except that it was good.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
screws with most of the galaxy for no discernable reason.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:37:49 am »

Damn, doesn't seem like it has widescreen support so you have to go through a whole bunch of awkward hacks to get it working. Games really shouldn't be released in a state like that and still expect to charge 10 dollars :/ 
EDIT: This is the only thing that works with the Steam version without downloading no-cd cracks but it does reroll the version back a couple which annoying. http://rapidlibrary.com/files/squizzy-kotor2-resolution-patcher-rar_ulzxben9zyi89on.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:43:23 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:44 am »

In its defense, it is quite an old game.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 06:43:52 am »

I felt like KOTOR 2 really suffered from not knowing which ending to KOTOR 1 you picked and having Reven be an AFGNCAAP.  These are events that completely redefined the galaxy and you aren't told which way it was.  I feel like it undermines the notion of control since apparently it all turns out the same way regardless of what you do.

I really didn't understand Kreia's philosophy or why that was supposed to appeal.  I really, really didn't like the way they invented the concept of the player character being a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to explain the leveling up phenomena.  Sure rpg leveling up is cliche but the last thing Star Wars needs is another bit of phlebotinum jammed in there.  It's not just that the camel's back broke, the phlebotinum piled up on that camel corpse is a freakin' tower to heaven.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:05:31 am »

You get to choose what happened to Revan (and the gender), remember? It's a conversation with Atton in the first level. Has very little effect, though.

You should read or play the mods that return all the massive amounts of unfinished content if plot points make no sense to you. There's an old LP in the LP Archive that has a lot of missing content in, I recommend a read. It's quite funny, too. These mods/patches probably have even more, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 08:45:23 am »

Best Star Wars game?  Or Greatest Star Wars game?

I also enjoyed Pod Racer, that game was sweet.

But Kotor 1 was SO FUCKING BADASS.  Kotar 2 was meh.

I think what made Kotor 1 so awesome was not just that you got to be a jedi in such a cool way, but that it was thousands of years before what we knew as the original series.  It also shed light on a time period even earlier than that (when the galaxy was controlled by the dudes that built the star forge).  I loved the Tatooine backstory.  That was my favorite part!
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:17 am »

I would have to say that the first game is much better then the second game.
ridiculous, the first game is generic bioware garbage

even though 2 is an unfinished pos with the same crap combat system, it is still superior to 1
Pages: [1] 2