Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Acceptable community fort gimmicks  (Read 2062 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Acceptable community fort gimmicks
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »

I'm trying to come up with compelling challenge rulesets for community forts. Let me know if you like them or if they could be improved, and feel free to suggest your own!

Cat Town
- No cats can be slaughtered or meet an unfortunate end by complete accident (we're sure you didn't do it on purpose)
- Every dwarf with a pet cat must have an aboveground private residence, complete with a basement farm and outdoor bridge (so they can seal themselves off in an emergency)
- Cat goods in a trade caravan must be met with the same reaction that you get from elves who are offered wood - no trading, and whether you kill the cat-butchers is up to your judgement
- Every year, one dwarf who does not have a preference for cats will be killed (optional)

Blasphemers against Armok
- There are too many Temple to Armok forts, so why not play the subversive atheist movement seeking to overthrow the corrupt Armokian Church?
- Build your trade depot inside a nifty trap chamber.
- The dwarves of your civilization must not notice that your fort seeks to become a rebel base. Caravans and liaisons MUST be killed every year, to a man.
- The humans know what's what and can be traded with freely, as they do not worship the dwarven Armok.
- Elves are still bastards.
- Goblins are special. Let's say they don't oppose dwarves because of their [BABY_SNATCHER], but instead protest against Armok in kind. You must either cage them or drive them back with minimum injuries until they get the hint.
- Those poor little kobolds are merely misguided! Let them flee as they wish, so that they may weaken the corrupt reach of Armok elsewhere by stealing assorted holy baubles.

ASCII Authors
- You'll need lots and lots of cage traps for this.
- Use caged ASCII animals to spell out words. Can't get enough e? Well, phonics is a suitable reason to go to war with an entire civilization, right?
- Every year, one sentence must be completed. Bonus points if they form a (somewhat) coherent story. Extra bonus points if you use the correct case (but not required).
- Little did Steve know that he would soon be captured and humiliated just because some mad god watching from above thought he was a useful capitalized vowel...
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Acceptable community fort gimmicks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »

No Dwarves worship Armok... Knowingly. How do you disbelieve in the unperceived?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:18:05 pm »

No Dwarves worship Armok... Knowingly. How do you disbelieve in the unperceived?
These are the dwarves that don't perceive his presence and dislike the little rituals dwarves presumably do subconsciously to him (or else why would they build giant magma-spewing temples to a god they totally don't know about?). I assume that when an Armok temple is built, every stone laid is a result of a mason spacing out for a second and building a wall without noticing, etc.
My wooden badge was delicious.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:36:13 pm »

Cat town and Authors sound interesting. I, for one, Will ever participate in a fort that decries the god of Blood.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:37:58 pm »

These are the dwarves that don't perceive his presence and dislike the little rituals dwarves presumably do subconsciously to him (or else why would they build giant magma-spewing temples to a god they totally don't know about?).
Praising a god of magma, minerals and wealth? It's not their fault they can't read the giant sky-text that spells "Armok was here" by the overseer. You'd have to be in the sky to... Woah.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:59:29 am »

For the blasphemers-against-Armok challenge, you could probably do a bit of modding so that there's an enemy dwarf civ which sieges you and your own friendly dwarves have [ACTIVE_SEASON:NONE] so they don't trade. Don't know if the caravan/liasion guards can be killed without a loyalty cascade otherwise.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:01:53 am »

I'm pretty sure Armok is some sort of overdiety who accepts worship from all races. Who like blood. And gore. And fire. So, not elves.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:56 am »

I'm pretty sure Armok is some sort of overdiety who accepts worship from all races. Who like blood. And gore. And fire. So, not elves.
Dude Armok doesn't need worship, just everyone happens to end up dying every now and then... Also surely you are not suggesting Armok would create elves to only exclude them from blood?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 01:12:50 am »

The wield the least effective weapon, and wear the thinnest armour. They are the ideal vessels of sacrifice.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:13:28 am »

Dude Armok doesn't need worship, just everyone happens to end up dying every now and then... Also surely you are not suggesting Armok would create elves to only exclude them from blood?
Indeed, the elves are a great source of blood, one which he is often offered tributes from dwarves,

A truly Anti-Armok fort would have to be pacifist. In a good region. Ewww.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:19 am »

Indeed, the elves are a great source of blood, one which he is often offered tributes from dwarves
It is also not uncommon for Elf lords to massacre Dwarves by the thousands. Remember Cacame? There are Elves like him out there, waiting to eat the devoured corpse of some poor adventurer... Armok is pleased by all offerings.
Muahhahahahahaa

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 02:10:34 am »

For the blasphemers-against-Armok challenge, you could probably do a bit of modding so that there's an enemy dwarf civ which sieges you and your own friendly dwarves have [ACTIVE_SEASON:NONE] so they don't trade. Don't know if the caravan/liasion guards can be killed without a loyalty cascade otherwise.

A loyalty cascade will only occur if your dwarves kill someone themselves. Drowning, magma, rockfalls, wild animal attacks, Armok's blessings are many.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:21 am »

ASCII challenge is something original, for bonus points text might be a history of the fort, one sentence about the most important thing that happened previous year.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:34 am »

Goomba, sometimes I don't know if you're just extraordinarily creative or remarkably insane.

Also, Cat Town sounds like the best worst thing ever.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 10:15:33 am »

Bay12: The only place where arguments about religion end with mad laughter and general agreement that elves should die.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).
Pages: [1] 2