Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lair of the Night Troll  (Read 1783 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Lair of the Night Troll
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:40:29 pm »

I spawned on top of a Night Troll lair, so two quick questions about them:

1: I have the "Night Troll Spouse", does that mean the other will return?

2: Can I cage trap the Night Troll?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Lair of the Night Troll
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:08:12 pm »

1. Yes

2. It should be trap avoid. For now just lock the hatch/door it resides behind and wait till you can web some cage traps.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:54:15 pm »

1. Yes

Sounds like a problem... Otherwise, what you are trying to tell me is that I have a certain amount of time before the Night Troll comes back and realizes its spouse has been locked up.

2. It should be trap avoid. For now just lock the hatch/door it resides behind and wait till you can web some cage traps.

I suddenly have no doubts that it is trap avoid. I broke the hatch and replaced it with a floor. I haven't played DF for many updates, so refresh my memory: does using stone-fall traps cause the creature to duck, allowing it to be cage trapped?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:27 pm »

Sounds like a problem... Otherwise, what you are trying to tell me is that I have a certain amount of time before the Night Troll comes back and realizes its spouse has been locked up.
Wait, ignore past-Whispers. I mean no.

I suddenly have no doubts that it is trap avoid. I broke the hatch and replaced it with a floor. I haven't played DF for many updates, so refresh my memory: does using stone-fall traps cause the creature to duck, allowing it to be cage trapped?
Stone fall traps don't cause that, plus they're traps so the Night troll wouldn't trigger it :P

You can use a cave in to knock it unconscious, but in cramped confines you're more likely to just kill it.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »

Wait, ignore past-Whispers. I mean no.

Oh. Well damn. I was looking forward to that.

Stone fall traps don't cause that, plus they're traps so the Night troll wouldn't trigger it :P

You can use a cave in to knock it unconscious, but in cramped confines you're more likely to just kill it.
That's what it was. Cave in. But, if I don't kill it, it is possible to cage trap?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:27 pm »

That's what it was. Cave in. But, if I don't kill it, it is possible to cage trap?
Any way you can stun / cause unconsciousness to it while it stands on a cage trap - yes

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:33:08 pm »

Do night troll's fly? Can I channel the floor above and have my marksdwarves shoot at it while it sits in its lair?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:31 pm »

Do night troll's fly? Can I channel the floor above and have my marksdwarves shoot at it while it sits in its lair?
No, unless it has wings. Does it have wings?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »

No, it does have a tail, though. No wings = no flying?

Also, refresh my memory: when building over the magma sea, [BUILDING_DESTROYER] can't affect a building that is above it (when it has no access to that z-level).

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 11:55:12 pm »

True, Leader.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.