Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Drug Discussion  (Read 12826 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs, immortality and healthcare
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2012, 04:26:30 am »

Posting to toast.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:07 am »

spiked drinks are not taken in anything like the right setting or state of mind.
i mean you just start a strong trip out of the blue.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:50 am »

From what I heard, most bad trips seems a bit like bad angst attacks or panic attacks (except heightened with the hallucinations). Doesn't that mean that like panic attacks, bad trips are self-reinforcing? Basically you stress out/panic over stressing out/panicking and it spirals out of control (the mathematics formula for panic attacks: x = x+1). And if stress/being strung up causes bad trips, wouldn't more stress make them stronger? But yeah, I'm just musing.

As for the hallucinations, it might not have been actual visual hallucinations, I guess, and more... My English fails me with finding the words I'm looking for, but you know, feeling a "certainty" that something is happening. Or he could have been on something other as well that increased the strength, maybe. Do alcohol cause intensification of LSD visions? I'm thinking the disturbance of perception alcohol causes could have some effect, but again, I don't know much about how drugs mixes. I guess you could theorise about this kind of things all day as well without reaching any conclusion, so maybe it's all moot. Thought I would share my baseless thoughts anyway.

The hallucination was clearly about the guy's repressed homosexuality, though ;) [/Freud]
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2012, 09:31:40 am »

From what I heard, most bad trips seems a bit like bad angst attacks or panic attacks (except heightened with the hallucinations). Doesn't that mean that like panic attacks, bad trips are self-reinforcing? Basically you stress out/panic over stressing out/panicking and it spirals out of control (the mathematics formula for panic attacks: x = x+1). And if stress/being strung up causes bad trips, wouldn't more stress make them stronger? But yeah, I'm just musing.

Yes, this is exactly the case. If you just calm the fuck down a bit, you won't have a bad trip. :D In fact, I've never had a bad trip simply because I knew this going into all my trips. And then you get like PTSD of the bad trip, so next time you take LSD, you have a PTSD flashback to your bad trip, so this trip is bad too, meaning you get more PTSD... So on and so forth...

As for the hallucinations, it might not have been actual visual hallucinations, I guess, and more... My English fails me with finding the words I'm looking for, but you know, feeling a "certainty" that something is happening. Or he could have been on something other as well that increased the strength, maybe. Do alcohol cause intensification of LSD visions? I'm thinking the disturbance of perception alcohol causes could have some effect, but again, I don't know much about how drugs mixes. I guess you could theorise about this kind of things all day as well without reaching any conclusion, so maybe it's all moot. Thought I would share my baseless thoughts anyway.

The hallucination was clearly about the guy's repressed homosexuality, though ;) [/Freud]

You do get actual visual hallucinations from hallucinogens, but more often its mental effects than anything else. I sincerely think that whatever he was spiked with was PCP. PCP is bad shit. Alcohol and LSD... Hmm, its interesting. People always used to tell me you can't get drunk while you're on acid, but you most assuredly can, because I have. That day I took fifteen hits, after the cops left, I got very very drunk. And I could differentiate the LSD feelings from the alcohol feelings quite easily.

Indeed... Obviously its hiding beneath the surface (of his skin) and he needs to bring it out into the open (by scratching off his skin). :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »

Okay, why is it people assume that because someone is a drug addict, they know nothing about the harmful interactions of drugs in your system? I understand that I'm not personally an expert, but I actually researched the fuck out of everything I planned on doing, so I'm not uninformed. I generally have a good idea of what I'm talking about.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »

It's mostly the addict part, I think. There's an assumption that anyone who would chemically addict themselves to a harmful substance for any reason but medical necessity is, well. Stupid isn't quite the right word, but it's a peculiar sort of short-sighted that would generally preclude concern as to how badly drug X plus drug Y would fuck them up. They're already screwing themselves over, so what's a bit more...?

A different question would be, of the users you do know, do a majority of them actually have knowledge of potentially harmful interactions (especially for reasons beyond unfortunate direct experience)? If not, how large of a minority does? A statistically supported assumption is still an assumption (and able to be incorrect), but if you're looking for a reason why people assume that and most users you know fit that assumption... So far as personal interaction goes, m'self, while I've met a few (willing to acknowledge it) users that are fairly on top of things (to the extent they're able to be), most of the ones I've met are... not quite that concerned, to say the least.

All that's being charitable though, probably. It's most likely an immediate assumption that drug addict == idiot scumbag. Or something. Maybe it's only like that for the ones that get caught, I'unno.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:27:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:06 pm »

Okay, why is it people assume that because someone is a drug addict, they know nothing about the harmful interactions of drugs in your system? I understand that I'm not personally an expert, but I actually researched the fuck out of everything I planned on doing, so I'm not uninformed. I generally have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

I think that most people just assume that if you knew what it does to you, you wouldn't do it. Most people probably wouldn't take your viewpoint of enjoying life, so it seems illogical to them.
Ninja'd
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2012, 10:32:11 pm »

It's mostly the addict part, I think. There's an assumption that anyone who would chemically addict themselves to a harmful substance for any reason but medical necessity is, well. Stupid isn't quite the right word, but it's a peculiar sort of short-sighted that would generally preclude concern as to how badly drug X plus drug Y would fuck them up. They're already screwing themselves over, so what's a bit more...?

A different question would be, of the users you do know, do a majority of them actually have knowledge of potentially harmful interactions (especially for reasons beyond unfortunate direct experience)? If not, how large of a minority does? A statistically supported assumption is still an assumption (and able to be incorrect), but if you're looking for a reason why people assume that and most users you know fit that assumption... So far as personal interaction goes, m'self, while I've met a few (willing to acknowledge it) users that are fairly on top of things (to the extent they're able to be), most of the ones I've met are... not quite that concerned, to say the least.

All that's being charitable though, probably. It's most likely an immediate assumption that drug addict == idiot scumbag. Or something. Maybe it's only like that for the ones that get caught, I'unno.

This makes sense. Most users I know are... Well, idiot scumbags. So I don't feel quite so... Incensed now, but I'm still a good deal frustrated that people don't take the time or effort to judge people on an individual basis rather than a pre-existing set of categories.

I think that most people just assume that if you knew what it does to you, you wouldn't do it. Most people probably wouldn't take your viewpoint of enjoying life, so it seems illogical to them.
Ninja'd

Indeed. It probably is illogical of me, but I'm human. Fuck logic. :P
He's fucking with us.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2012, 05:53:06 am »

Somewhat relevant; addicted physicians. Focuses on treatment but also addresses the fact that understanding and education about drugs doesn't always protect from harmful addictions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2012, 12:32:32 pm »

Will read tonight. Looks very interesting. :D
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2012, 12:48:02 pm »

I'd like to see a study comparing that to the addiction rates among much lower stress jobs (with similar income). The common excuse for using drugs, after peer pressure, is stress relief, and I'll be dammed if healthcare professionals aren't stressed out. Not to mention them obviously having easier access to prescription drugs than most people.

I don't agree with the article's conclusions (that people are sheep who need to be corralled so they don't make stupid decisions). Firstly, I find it more likely there's an alternate cause than "because people are dumb," and secondly, I'd argue we're under no obligation to stop people from hurting themselves so long as they know what they're doing. If someone makes an unwise decision despite knowing better, it's not the fault of other people for not stopping them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2012, 01:14:58 pm »

I would say that in the vast majority of cases where people get addicted to drugs, they don't fully understand what they're getting into until it's too late.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:55 pm »

I would say that in the vast majority of cases where people get addicted to drugs, they don't fully understand what they're getting into until it's too late.

This is indeed often the case. But it was not the case for me. What does this change?
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]