Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Drug Discussion  (Read 12849 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs, immortality and healthcare
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »

The needle-in-arm hallucination in that it manages to sneak itself into my perception every once in a while since then. It's weird, like a recurring dream. Even happens when I'm drunk sometimes. It's always the left arm, too, which is the one I've never had blood drawn from.

I definitely visually hallucinated from taking mushrooms. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that there is a pretty extensive list of different psilocybin mushrooms out there?

That could definitely be a possibility. Another could be the dosage, or just the inconsistency of psychedelics. I took two doses of shrooms, for reference.

Hmm. The needle in arm thing sounds a bit strange. I suppose you could be having minor flashbacks, but they aren't supposed to last more than a few years.
And what is two doses, measured in grams? For me, one 'dose' was 3.5 grams.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2012, 08:01:32 pm »

Hmm. The needle in arm thing sounds a bit strange. I suppose you could be having minor flashbacks, but they aren't supposed to last more than a few years.

I doubt it's a real flashback since I've had it on pretty much everything I've tried since then, including alcohol which really shouldn't be doing that. And it doesn't happen when I'm sober. I think it's just a strong memory that I subconsciously associate with that sort of state of mind, so it gets brought back.

And what is two doses, measured in grams? For me, one 'dose' was 3.5 grams.

It was one gram per dose for me. I guess that's not that impressive in this context, but it does explain my lesser hallucinations.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »

I doubt it's a real flashback since I've had it on pretty much everything I've tried since then, including alcohol which really shouldn't be doing that. And it doesn't happen when I'm sober. I think it's just a strong memory that I subconsciously associate with that sort of state of mind, so it gets brought back.

Ah. Your explanation makes a bit more sense, I think.

It was one gram per dose for me. I guess that's not that impressive in this context, but it does explain my lesser hallucinations.

We aren't going for impressive. :P I just tend to overdo these things. And yeah, that sounds right. I took a gram of mushrooms at one point, and all I got was some minor feelings, and very weak hallucinations.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2012, 02:56:56 am »

In high school health class, on a true false quiz, one of the questions/statements was "You can overdose from marijuana". I said "no" because frankly, that ain't about to happen in any conceivable sense. I was marked wrong, and when I asked why, the justification was that the marijuana might be laced with something that you then overdose on. You know, sort of like how air is fatally toxic (it might contain carbon monoxide!).

If that ever happened to me the next time I got a quiz I would put something massively retarded in and justify it like that. "Is drunk driving safe? Yes, because we might have invented automated cars completely removing the driver from control of the vehicular."

And then if they protest you bring up the old quiz and call them stupid in moderately more diplomatic terms.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2012, 03:23:12 am »

"I call into question the veracity of this grade, you moron."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2012, 05:59:05 am »

I've yet to meet (in person) a long-term drug user that I would believe when they tell me it hasn't affected them, because it's always damn obvious it has. It's not even restricted to illegal drugs, heavy smokers and drinkers are both identifiable: *cough cough* it's not killing me *cough cough* for the former and the latter seem to forget how to enjoy themselves *without* drinking.

I still drink very occasionally (last was probably at New Year, definitely nothing since Feb), but don't really like it.

I think you can do whatever you want as long as you're aware of what it's doing to you.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2012, 07:03:17 am »

Posting to watch and later on to post.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2012, 10:43:49 am »

I've never really met any drug users (visible ones at least) or really cared about it. I do think that criminalizing drug use is stupid, though : from the little I know, and the popular presentation of it, it looks like it's some sort of symptom of "not being well" in general, and should be treated accordingly. I also things that drugs are bad, though, my position is that outlawing them is as silly as criminalizing suicide, for example.

Posting to watch. It's an interesting thread.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2012, 10:46:33 am »

I've yet to meet (in person) a long-term drug user that I would believe when they tell me it hasn't affected them, because it's always damn obvious it has. It's not even restricted to illegal drugs, heavy smokers and drinkers are both identifiable: *cough cough* it's not killing me *cough cough* for the former and the latter seem to forget how to enjoy themselves *without* drinking.

Please try not to draw false dichotomies here, though. There are still people who drink on occasion, smoke weed on occasion, or even do other things on occasion without it being obvious or it seriously affecting them much.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:50 am »

Please try not to draw false dichotomies here, though. There are still people who drink on occasion, smoke weed on occasion, or even do other things on occasion without it being obvious or it seriously affecting them much.

Agreed. For example, I drink, but that means "today I visited my aunt and we had a glass of wine for dinner" and I do not see myself at all in all those discussions about people who drink which means "they get drunk on a regular level". But he did specify heavy smokers and drinkers.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »

Baaaaad trip man.

What kind of asshole spikes drinks?
Hello Hunam

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:17 pm »

I don't think it was an asshole. From the description the victim gave I think the friend must have been a murderous prick.

Bad puns aside, does anyone else recall that a bunch of promising psychiatrists all screwed themselves up on psychedelics in the 60's while trying to explain the human mind? I seem to remember it from one of my psych courses and I've always found it interesting that a great deal of intelligent individuals thought that these drugs were one of the best portholes into the human mind. Alternatively they all could have just wanted to fuck and have a great time, but why not give em the benefit of the doubt y'know?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2012, 07:49:38 pm »

Well, I'd imagine they'd be more interested in the effects. It DOES relate to their profession. My uncle (who's a psychiatrist) once told me about how they found one of his buddies dead in a train station because of the stuff.
Hello Hunam

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2012, 07:53:37 pm »

You have to have a lot of a hallucenogen to see crap like that. Take a couple hits of acid and you'll see the trees sway a bit. I know a guy who has taken seven hits at once and he's never described anything like that.

Of course, someone who's spiking a drink with acid isn't going to care much about safe dosage.

Also scratching the skin off your arm sounds more like PCP than LSD.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »

You have to have a lot of a hallucenogen to see crap like that. Take a couple hits of acid and you'll see the trees sway a bit. I know a guy who has taken seven hits at once and he's never described anything like that.

Of course, someone who's spiking a drink with acid isn't going to care much about safe dosage.

Also scratching the skin off your arm sounds more like PCP than LSD.

All of this. I once took fifteen hits of acid, and still I cannot believe that it could cause this. More likely it was PCP or Ketamine. Possibly DOI or STP, but those two are extremely rare.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10