Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Drug Discussion  (Read 12882 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about drugs
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:48 am »

Living forever is literally impossible. At best, you live long enough for the entropy of the universe to reach maximum entropy (At least one googolplex years according to Steven Hawking for all the black holes currently extant to degrade, but that's a huge guess), and then there is no more useful work that can be done, including computations required for a machine consciousness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 12:36:53 am »

Not what I meant.  :-[

I've never felt the urge to start doing drugs.

No, I knew what you meant. It is good that you haven't. Drugs... Aren't good.

Living forever is literally impossible. At best, you live long enough for the entropy of the universe to reach maximum entropy (At least one googolplex years according to Steven Hawking for all the black holes currently extant to degrade, but that's a huge guess), and then there is no more useful work that can be done, including computations required for a machine consciousness.

Perhaps I should say that relative immortality would be exceptionally unpleasant for the human mind to go through. Obviously, everything ends eventually, and you'd probably 'die' or whatever long before entropy, but even living more than the scant decades we get as it is would be pretty unfun.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 12:43:48 am »

Not what I meant.  :-[
I've never felt the urge to start doing drugs.

No, I knew what you meant. It is good that you haven't. Drugs... Aren't good.

Perhaps I should say that relative immortality would be exceptionally unpleasant for the human mind to go through. Obviously, everything ends eventually, and you'd probably 'die' or whatever long before entropy, but even living more than the scant decades we get as it is would be pretty unfun.
Yeah. Little off topic but I don't like the idea of a machine consciousness. This is because I believe in maintaining a good body as well as a developed mind.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 12:46:28 am »

I agree. Plus, no privacy! D:
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 12:46:43 am »

While pondering this dilemma, I came to a startling conclusion. As people have longer lives, they would become more hedonistic, not less. Nowadays, vast resources are dedicated to how people remember you. Monuments, huge donations, etc. When no one is looking forward to death, or trying to live a good life (I've got 2500 years to become a better person!), everyone will likely go nuts. Expect to see billionaire 130 year olds trying to pick up 19 year old girls in bars.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2012, 12:55:52 am »

I see zero moral quandaries with drugs, if one is informed of the effects, both short term and long term. Children and people who cannot legally consent should not be exposed to drugs and their side effects (read: meth lab fumes and explosions,) and purposely/knowingly exposing those people to side effects should have major consequences.

Personally, I'm not a fan of drugs (aside from alcohol.) I'd prefer to keep my body and brain as pure and sharp as possible...you know, aside from the fast food, rum, laziness, and city smog. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:32 am »

Despite being friends with people who engage in all kinds of drug use, the most I could be accused of is ingesting large amounts of caffeine, and maybe few aspirins when the time calls for it. This is for no other reason than that I'm simply not interested in most other forms of drugs.

While there are plenty of stupid assholes who like drugs, there are also plenty of great individuals as well. So personally I'd say that judging someone based on their drug usage alone is a bit harsh.

I know a few kids who got into drugs (among other things) at a pretty young age. And although I'll admit some of them do get in trouble fairly often, they're far from bad people. It makes me sad that many undeserving individuals are looked down upon solely due to the prejudice people have against their bad habits.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 01:05:19 am »

I see zero moral quandaries with drugs, if one is informed of the effects, both short term and long term. Children and people who cannot legally consent should not be exposed to drugs and their side effects (read: meth lab fumes and explosions,) and purposely/knowingly exposing those people to side effects should have major consequences.

Personally, I'm not a fan of drugs (aside from alcohol.) I'd prefer to keep my body and brain as pure and sharp as possible...you know, aside from the fast food, rum, laziness, and city smog. :P

Ah, MZ, you're awesomely hypocritical in the best possible way. :D

And yes, I've never really understand why people think 'drugs are wrong'. Bad, sure, that I get. But wrong? There's a right way to do life? Why isn't everyone doing it that way then? That doesn't make much sense to me, being an atheist.

While there are plenty of stupid assholes who like drugs, there are also plenty of great individuals as well. So personally I'd say that judging someone based on their drug usage alone is a bit harsh.

I know a few kids who got into drugs (among other things) at a pretty young age. And although I'll admit some of them do get in trouble fairly often, they're far from bad people. It makes me sad that many undeserving individuals are looked down upon solely due to the prejudice people have against their bad habits.

This. A thousand times this.
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:27 am »

Aw, I don't wanna be a hypocrite. To be fair, I'm trying to cut back on all of the above. Caffeine was just my most pressing addiction.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2012, 01:12:51 am »

And yes, I've never really understand why people think 'drugs are wrong'. Bad, sure, that I get. But wrong? There's a right way to do life? Why isn't everyone doing it that way then? That doesn't make much sense to me, being an atheist.

Depends on what you feel people's obligations are to themselves or to society/others. I mean, cigarettes are taxed heavily not only to encourage people not to do it, but also because smoking has a toll on society in the sense that doing it makes you more of a burden in the future due to illness. It's a really sticky subject, but it's at least defensible to say that people have a social responsibility to do well for their own health.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blacksmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:45 am »

Would say it's safe to say someone that doesn't want to interact with people that willfully and regularly poison themselves for kicks isn't quite what I'd call an asshole move, though. Some people can deal with the sorts of personalities that do that, some can't. Wanting to avoid that interaction is a mostly neutral thing, I'd say.

Wanting to avoid that interaction is basically the equivalent of willingly confining yourself to a remote religious order. People do drugs. You get a good, professional job, you'll be working with them, 99% of the time. Someone will drink, or smoke whatever. And I'm sorry, but refusing to interact with them over something that doesn't affect you in the slightest is hands down dickery.

Quote from: Hanslanda
I would be careful. This is dangerous territory to tread upon, my friend. Crick of Watson and Crick was supposedly doing acid when he realized DNA was a helix, but that's as much as I can say on this.
Scientific evidence is dangerous territory? And make no mistake, the evidence is a bout as strong as evidence can be given the time period period they had to work with before the hammer came down and made further research illegal. The results probably weren't for things you've heard of, I never heard about the DNA thing, but they were nontrivial problems, and all 22 participants had been at work trying to solve them for at least four months time. I do believe the dosage was significantly less than you'd find among recreational users, though. Regardless, the study is out there, you can in fact look it up.

Quote from: McDrowner
I don't use drugs for many reasons. Chief among them is "God said so". The purpose of my life is to live worthy to be in His presence. As a corollary, I'm banking that I'll get more righteous and wise as I grow older, so having a long life is to my benefit. Nevertheless, on some great alarm clock in the sky is my name (in a metaphorical sense  :P), so unless I kill myself, there's a day, hour, and minute ascribed to my death. Now I just have to avoid killing myself, hence, another reason not to do drug.
Oddly enough, I've known a great number of religious people to seek out drugs to become closer to god. Hell, this is where most of our modern hallucinogenics came from - they weren't used recreationally, they were used transcendentally. That's pretty much the whole reason Peyote is a thing, for example.

I meant an Advil when I had a cold.
So how did it feel to use drugs to feel better than you would have naturally? Did you find it revolting? Immoral? Because I'm not really seeing the difference between this behaviour and someone smoking a joint to relieve their glaucoma or stop freaking out after a stressful week of high-stress labour. Knowing that you've used drugs - would you find it acceptable for another person to shun you because of it? Would you find it rude if they cut of all association with you after it came out?

So I'd like to think I'm in a good position to plan what I'd like to do in the future, and getting involved in heavy drug use would be, well, a bit difficult.
So don't get involved in heavy drug use. I know plenty of people who stay mostly clean. Hell, I was super straightedge (to the point of, yes, even avoiding painkillers and caffeine) for a good nine years. I've got no problem with you avoiding stuff for whatever reasons you have.
And the assumption that "everyone has been involved in drug use" is just depressing. I'd like to think that lots of the people not posting in this thread haven't, or that plenty of the people I pass by on the street haven't, or that as a civilization we've produced at least a few individuals who died without doing drugs.
Ignoring the fact that our bodies naturally produce drugs (say hello to adrenaline junkies), ignoring that, you're right. There's probably a few. At least the babies, right? Not many, of course - our society is not only built on drug use, but drugs have been a central component of almost every culture on earth for thousands of years, at least. Modern society has only made their distribution, manufacturability, and benefits even more impressive. Over 90% of the US population over 21 consumes drugs for recreational purposes at some point in their life. 99.9% have consumed them for other reasons, and I'd assume a good portion of those consumed them for reasons other than medical necessity. More than a third of the US population has consumed illegal drugs. I'm pretty sure the remaining .1% is mostly Christian Scientists or something. That one's just idle speculation, though, the other's numbers can actually be supported.

And I'd also like to say that, if I'm going to live a perpetually lonely life because I don't like to talk to drug users, where's the actual facts behind this? I'm going to go out on a limb here (watch out!), and say that you use some sort of substance, hence the depressing predictions.
I use Li+ and Bupropion, yes. For the sole purpose of altering my mental state and making me feel better than I would naturally. I also have the occassional glass of wine, although I really shouldn't be combining those. And I think avoiding interacting with me, based solely on those conditions, which no one even needs to know about except for, perhaps, the person(s) I have a glass of wine with, is what's depressing. It's judgmental, irrational, and fairly rude.

And let's go even further and say that some of your friends do the same, because like it or not, people organize themselves into little groups depending on shared interests, professions, hobbies, and anything else you can think of for their entire lives. So now you have a reference point surrounded by drug users.
Of my close friends - one does no drugs at all beyond caffeine and medically necessary ones. Doesn't even take painkillers unless the pain is preventing him from working. Amazing guy, and everybody loves a designated driver, and still good fun at parties. The next drinks and smokes pot, though he doesn't do the second when I'm around, and I don't think I've ever actually seen him high. Probably tried other stuff, I don't know. The third will have a single glass of alcohol, like, once a month, and a daily coffee, and that's it. Tops. This is my circle of friends. I guess one could argue that I'm surrounded by drug users, but none of it is abnormal. If anything, my friends are significantly more straight-edge than society as a whole when you add me into the mix. But I associate with people that do more than this - I have a group of engineers I run with sometimes, I think some have done pot. I've got a number of actors and musicians I hang with occassionally, and they pretty much span the spectrum.

You see, I live in the real world, where part of every day life is talking with and interacting with and working with a lot of different groups of people. People organize themselves into groups based on all those things, yes, but people also tend to be part of more than one group, and I've never seen a group organized based solely on people who meet all matching criterion. And unless your a heavy drug user or a recreational drinker, and they are too, it's not even likely to be something that comes up when those organizations happen. A great many people keep it to themselves.

Could it be that this is a bad place to make guesses about the habits of society of a whole? Could it be that if I get a good education, a decent job, and eventually a nice place to retire (doubly easy, of course, since I won't have met anyone to get married to) then I'll have passed the Gauntlet of Life without getting involved in anything related to drugs? And yes, you can say that I won't get a good education or a job, and I'm lying to myself, but the problem here is that even if I'm a terrible judge of myself, I still know more about me than you do, and I think I'm doing pretty damned well.
If your goal is to avoid interaction with drug users, I think I can pretty comfortably say you aren't going to get a good education or a decent job. Feel free to prove me wrong, of course! (Just make sure to ask everyone you meet first, just to be sure!)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:10 am »

(say hello to adrenaline junkies)
Fuckin' hi, man!

* MaximumZero waves.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:47 am »

Judging people harshly, to the point where you won't even associate with them, because you disagree with one potentially-minor thing they do that you have no real business even caring about, is an extreme dick move. One of the best things you can learn in life is how to deal and associate with people who are actually different from you. Doing so is productive and offers perspective.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2012, 01:23:52 am »

Depends on what you feel people's obligations are to themselves or to society/others. I mean, cigarettes are taxed heavily not only to encourage people not to do it, but also because smoking has a toll on society in the sense that doing it makes you more of a burden in the future due to illness. It's a really sticky subject, but it's at least defensible to say that people have a social responsibility to do well for their own health.

Ah, I see what you are saying here. To be fair, I would pay frankly ridiculous amounts of taxes to be able to use without legal repercussions. Whatever arbitrary number would suit you. Fifty percent? Seventy five? Three hundred? Whatever it takes. Since this isn't an option, I'm forced to interact with... Greater evils than I would if it were legalized, regulated and taxed. 

Judging people harshly, to the point where you won't even associate with them, because you disagree with one potentially-minor thing they do that you have no real business even caring about, is an extreme dick move. One of the best things you can learn in life is how to deal and associate with people who are actually different from you. Doing so is productive and offers perspective.

Indeed.
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 01:28:26 am »

I would be happy to see most drugs decriminalized just to get the pushers off the streets. I mean, how can you make a profit growing and selling pot when you have to contend with Phillip-Morris or RJ Reynolds?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10