Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Drug Discussion  (Read 12872 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about drugs
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »

"If you ever use marijuana even once you will catch swine flu and get pregnant."
Mildly off topic, but that was the most hilarious thing I have heard all day.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »

It is safer than assuming you won't get addicted and then getting addicted. I'm thinking of safety, not being correct and proper, thank you very much.

Except not every situation in life regarding it would be that kind of decision. For instance, if you think marijuana will do that to you, and you know someone who smokes it, you're liable to react to that situation extremely inappropriately, or judge that person differently.

Sure, if you're going to assume anything it's better to err on the safe side, but that doesn't mean going to that extreme as much as possible is better than actually being a little informed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:51:41 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:24 pm »

It is safer than assuming you won't get addicted and then getting addicted. I'm thinking of safety, not being correct and proper, thank you very much.

Except not every situation in life regarding it would be that kind of decision. For instance, if you think marijuana will do that to you, and you know someone who smokes it, you're liable to react to that situation extremely inappropriately, or judge that person differently.

Sure, if you're going to assume anything it's better to err on the safe side, but that doesn't mean going to that extreme as much as possible is better than actually being a little informed.
Well, I don't want to do drugs and I don't want to associate with people who do drugs, so my life plan is to not have them figure into my life plan. In this case I think it's best to assume that they're bad and then not talk about them in actual social situations.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »

Ah I see what you mean now. :) Yes, you are correct, but from the way it was stated, it seemed clear to me that he was not informed at all about the subject at hand. Perhaps it is a bit extreme, but as you said, I'd prefer being on the safe side.

Well, I don't want to do drugs and I don't want to associate with people who do drugs, so my life plan is to not have them figure into my life plan. In this case I think it's best to assume that they're bad and then not talk about them in actual social situations.

This is a good plan, but there will be situations where you will be forced to interact with users, whether you know it or not. :/ Just a friendly warning. It can be very well hidden.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 11:04:49 pm »

Hold on. Hanslanda are you suggesting that we shouldn't smoke weed everyday? Snoop Dogg would be disappointed...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:19 pm »

Gonna have to agree with G on this one. There are few things in this world that can be as dangerous as holding a lie or misconception as truth. Even if it may be the "safer" of the extremes, it's still an extreme. And regardless of whether or not you agree with it, it is always better to base your judgments and decisions on facts.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 11:15:49 pm »

Hold on. Hanslanda are you suggesting that we shouldn't smoke weed everyday? Snoop Dogg would be disappointed...

Uh, yeah. I'm not a proselytizing user. I don't want other people to start using drugs because of the legal ramifications and (for hard drugs) the health effects. You shouldn't go messing up your life over it. I did, because I wanted to, but that is my personal choice. I'm not going to try and force anything on anyone else. Unlike most people I've met. :P I do support adequate research and forethought though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »

Define "do drugs". Do you want to not associate with people who take too much Tylenol? That's probably more dangerous than weed. Or people who are really nonchalant and don't take proper precautions about getting psych medication? That's probably more dangerous too. What about benadryl?

Point is, you're drawing a lot of arbitrary distinctions when you say "drugs" here that don't necessarily make sense and that you probably don't know you're making. Especially when talking about softer drugs like weed, there are much more dangerous things you can do even with stuff available over-the-counter. Hell, some foods are probably more dangerous.

Uh, yeah. I'm not a proselytizing user. I don't want other people to start using drugs because of the legal ramifications and (for hard drugs) the health effects. You shouldn't go messing up your life over it. I did, because I wanted to, but that is my personal choice. I'm not going to try and force anything on anyone else. Unlike most people I've met. :P I do support adequate research and forethought though.

I would also say it's not necessarily a good lifestyle decision. Granted, that's not something that's only true of drugs, but a lot of people do abuse marijuana in their own right, health reasons aside.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Blacksmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:27 pm »

I guess those are my three big problems with drug use, namely being that they stop people from thinking at their best (it's difficult to perform any sort of task when your busy thinking that the walls are all alive), they are extremely addictive (you thought quitting coffee was hard? Try quitting a hard drug and it's many times worse), and the third is that they ruin your health and your relationships with those you know.
Always good to remember that there are plenty of illegal drugs that will safely do none of these things, though. In fact, many do the exact opposite - some of the most abused drugs in the US are drugs specifically geared towards allowing people to focus better and think at "better than their best". Oddly enough, LSD is of one of the few drugs clinically proven to literally push even the best minds significantly past their limits - there are a number of breakthrough theoretical and technical discoveries due to the studies into LSD (before the government banned it). In fact, research indicates it is the single most capable drug at increasing people's ability to solve creative and technical problems, and it does it exceptionally well.

If you're interested in learning more, the  Institute for Psychedelic Research at San Francisco State College spearheaded most of the more valuable research.

And finally, I'm sorry - but this makes you kind of a huge asshole. It's like saying "I don't want to associate with people who don't believe in my god" or "I don't want to associate with people that have ever voted for a non-democrat" or "I don't want to associate with people that have ever had sex"  because, "It's best to assume those things are bad". It's certainly your right not to do so, but it still makes a huge dick.

Also, probably a hypocrite, because I'm almost certain you've done drugs, will continue to drugs, and will likely end up doing some rather heavy drugs sooner or later at some point in your life. So it isn't even doing drugs, it's ostracizing people for doing drugs for reasons you don't agree with.
(Unless you're way more dedicated to this than I give you credit for, and you avoid caffeine, alcohol, painkillers and antibiotics, psych meds, as well.)
And if you plan on disassociating with those drug-takers as well, uh, you're probably going to lead a pretty lonely life. Especially since the most often abused drugs ARE prescribed drugs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:21:47 pm by Blacksmith »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 11:28:08 pm »

(Unless you're way more dedicated to this than I give you credit for, and you avoid caffeine, alcohol, painkillers and antibiotics, psych meds, as well.)
Um, that's actually, well, um, true, except for the painkillers. I also know something you don't know.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 11:32:37 pm »

Let's keep it very polite in here. :) Just saying. I don't mind if we have a heated discussion, but I am fully willing to lock this thread the instant someone starts flaming instead of discussing. I don't want people getting modded.

Now for the discussion. :P

Always good to remember that there are plenty of illegal drugs that will safely do none of these things, though. In fact, many do the exact opposite - some of the most abused drugs in the US are drugs specifically geared towards allowing people to focus better and think at "better than their best". Oddly enough, LSD is of one of the few drugs clinically proven to literally push even the best minds significantly past their limits - there are a number of breakthrough theoretical and technical discoveries due to the studies into LSD (before the government banned it). In fact, research indicates it is the single most capable drug at increasing people's ability to solve creative and technical problems, and it does it exceptionally well.

I would be careful. This is dangerous territory to tread upon, my friend. Crick of Watson and Crick was supposedly doing acid when he realized DNA was a helix, but that's as much as I can say on this.

Um, that's actually, well, um, true, except for the painkillers. I also know something you don't know.

Kindly explain what it is he doesn't know for me. :) And painkillers are seriously bad shit, btw. Oxycontin is synthetic heroin, and the rest are opiates, which are known for being highly dangerous and addictive. I assume you knew this, but I'm being thorough just in case you didn't. :P
He's fucking with us.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »

Kindly explain what it is he doesn't know for me. :) And painkillers are seriously bad shit, btw. Oxycontin is synthetic heroin, and the rest are opiates, which are known for being highly dangerous and addictive. I assume you knew this, but I'm being thorough just in case you didn't. :P

Some misinformation here.

• Oxycontin is not "synthetic heroin". It's an opioid, but so are a lot of other things, and they aren't all equivalent or else they wouldn't be used in different cases.
  • I don't know why you say "the rest are opiates". Oxycontin (continuous-release oxycodone) is an opioid just like vicodin (hydrocodone), hydromorphone, and most other serious painkillers.
  • Painkillers like NSAIDs (e.g. tylenol, ibuprofen) and aspirin are not opioids and aren't really comparable, although they have their own significant risks.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 11:40:35 pm »

Salvia is a hell of a drug. That's all I have to say on this subject.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 11:44:22 pm »

Some misinformation here.

• Oxycontin is not "synthetic heroin". It's an opioid, but so are a lot of other things, and they aren't all equivalent or else they wouldn't be used in different cases.
  • I don't know why you say "the rest are opiates". Oxycontin (continuous-release oxycodone) is an opioid just like vicodin (hydrocodone), hydromorphone, and most other serious painkillers.
  • Painkillers like NSAIDs (e.g. tylenol, ibuprofen) and aspirin are not opioids and aren't really comparable, although they have their own significant risks.

Sorry about that, I'm used to being around users. :/ My language reflects this. Painkillers tends to mean perscription opioids, to which my point applies. As you said, aspirin and NSAIDs are completely different. I've never really felt a painkilling effect from them though, so I never think of them that way. And the risk of acetaminophen is that it tears up your liver something fierce, but beyond that, I can't think of the other bad effects it may or may not have.
I should be more specific in the future. And thanks for the correction on the 'synthetic heroin' thing.
He's fucking with us.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:11 pm »

Let's keep it very polite in here. :) Just saying. I don't mind if we have a heated discussion, but I am fully willing to lock this thread the instant someone starts flaming instead of discussing. I don't want people getting modded.

Now for the discussion. :P

I would be careful. This is dangerous territory to tread upon, my friend. Crick of Watson and Crick was supposedly doing acid when he realized DNA was a helix, but that's as much as I can say on this.

I meant an Advil when I had a cold.

Anyway, the key fact here is that I'm thirteen. Bam. There goes my credibility. So I'd like to think I'm in a good position to plan what I'd like to do in the future, and getting involved in heavy drug use would be, well, a bit difficult. And the assumption that "everyone has been involved in drug use" is just depressing. I'd like to think that lots of the people not posting in this thread haven't, or that plenty of the people I pass by on the street haven't, or that as a civilization we've produced at least a few individuals who died without doing drugs. And I'd also like to say that, if I'm going to live a perpetually lonely life because I don't like to talk to drug users, where's the actual facts behind this? I'm going to go out on a limb here (watch out!), and say that you use some sort of substance, hence the depressing predictions. And let's go even further and say that some of your friends do the same, because like it or not, people organize themselves into little groups depending on shared interests, professions, hobbies, and anything else you can think of for their entire lives. So now you have a reference point surrounded by drug users. Could it be that this is a bad place to make guesses about the habits of society of a whole? Could it be that if I get a good education, a decent job, and eventually a nice place to retire (doubly easy, of course, since I won't have met anyone to get married to) then I'll have passed the Gauntlet of Life without getting involved in anything related to drugs? And yes, you can say that I won't get a good education or a job, and I'm lying to myself, but the problem here is that even if I'm a terrible judge of myself, I still know more about me than you do, and I think I'm doing pretty damned well.

So there you go.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10