Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Letting the Days Go By: There are Buildings Underground!  (Read 1045 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Letting the Days Go By: There are Buildings Underground!
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:21:23 am »

How do I work them?

Right. That out the system. Anyway.

Search for underground said that there wasn't a dedicated underground construction thread in GD. I am... disappointed. And fixing. Though I might just be missing it. Still. Here we go.

Some stuff wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_living Which is pretty crappy and links to a few other things.

Initial throwaway link thing, done! Thread purpose, go! Talk about underground construction. Any sort, buildings, cities, subways, bunkers, mines, anything so long as it's buried. Likes, dislikes, any personally visited and experiences thereof. Questions on them for the gallery, whatever.

Me, all I've done is some caves (natural caves are acceptable discussion as well!). Which were bloody wonderful. Mid sixties in bloody Florida summer, how can you not want that!? Only maybe fifteen, twenty feet under dirt, too. If that. Ideal home is definitely at-least-partially underground, because cooool.

So. Anyone with more exposure to these things? My starter question is somewhat simple: For a partially buried home, how much of it has to be under something and how deep does that part have to be, to benefit from that bloody delightfully stable temperature?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Letting the Days Go By: There are Buildings Underground!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:22 am »

One of the houses I lived in in Pennsylvania had three floors. The basement floor (which was carpeted just like any other room) was about 1/2 to 2/3s buried. And it was wonderfully cool in the summer, but frigid cold in the winter.

Living high up gives you cooler temperatures,too, I think.
Caves would be perfect dwellings if they weren't so damp :3

You don't want to have a completely underground floor without proper ventilation, because yuk the moisture. Partially underground lets you open the windows / patio doors and air out the damp.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:40:06 am »

Another con to underground is that it takes fucklong to dig out and support.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

and you need vitamin DF.

but that can be bypassed via UV lights torture.
FTFY

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:27:24 am »

and you need vitamin D.

but that can be bypassed via UV lights.
Underground Habitation: Guaranteed 100% zombie proof.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:10 am »

And you need vitamin D.
Unless you're living underground for long periods of time this is not a problem. As long as you're getting sun every now and then you're fine.

Also how's internet work? I could see a sort of hobbit thing working on where you have half your house above ground on the side of a hill/mountain and the rest deeper/underground.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:21:59 am »

There's a town waaaay out to the Southwest of here where a lot of the residential area is mostly underground.
Coober Pedy, it's called. I've never been there myself. Apparently the underground dwellings are due to the extreme heat outside. :-\ Doesn't sound too pleasant.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.