Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43182 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2013, 11:51:28 am »

It's not so much the AI i was immediately concerned over. It how we could abuse a very good understanding of how the brain works.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2013, 11:55:08 am »

It's not so much the AI i was immediately concerned over. It how we could abuse a very good understanding of how the brain works.
Oh yeah, that tidbit.

Oh, did you know that technology is currently in development which can used to trigger individual neurons in the brain.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2013, 12:35:20 pm »

7 months later and the OP is still getting responses.
It really surprises me how this managed to stay on topic.
I already stopped following it a while ago tough :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:55 pm »

more importantly, what are future old people going to do regarding the traditional old codger pastime of embarrassing casual racism?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2013, 02:36:58 pm »

I, for one, will disown my granddaughter for marrying one of those damn androids.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2013, 02:41:46 pm »

more importantly, what are future old people going to do regarding the traditional old codger pastime of embarrassing casual racism?
Casual speciesism.

That said, I would be happy to see my hypothetical grand-daughter marrying an A.I., particularly if its body is immobile. After all, unlike a human lover, an intelligent program would never give her up or let her down, and most certainly wouldn't run around and desert her. In addition, its massive knowledge of human behavior would mean that it would never make her cry, would never say goodbye, and would never tell a lie and hurt her.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »

In response the the original post (My stance on android dating is neutral,) I think it largly depends on how fast it advances.  There will always be a few holdouts, such as some Amish people and people in severe poverty stricken areas, but as long as we don't suddenly discover how to store our minds in hyperspace we shouldn't have nearly as much of a problem as we do today.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:16 pm »

Casual speciesism.

That said, I would be happy to see my hypothetical grand-daughter marrying an A.I., particularly if its body is immobile. After all, unlike a human lover, an intelligent program would never give her up or let her down, and most certainly wouldn't run around and desert her. In addition, its massive knowledge of human behavior would mean that it would never make her cry, would never say goodbye, and would never tell a lie and hurt her.

Oh... Oh shit. There is Rick in this science, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »

Hopefully the presence of elderly gamers in the future may help reduce the risk of alzheimer's.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:43 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present, both for and against the case of android dating, Krillin.  :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »

Alzheimer's won't be an issue by the time we are that old. It can't be more than 10 or 15 years tops for a cure for that to be found. It's got a high enough economic and social cost, not to mention being much more terrifying than death itself, which will result in enough research funds to ensure a cure is found within a relatively short period of time. Even the Human Brain Project is in large part driven by such purposes.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2013, 05:08:36 pm »

Alzheimer's won't be an issue by the time we are that old. It can't be more than 10 or 15 years tops for a cure for that to be found. It's got a high enough economic and social cost, not to mention being much more terrifying than death itself, which will result in enough research funds to ensure a cure is found within a relatively short period of time. Even the Human Brain Project is in large part driven by such purposes.

If I was religious I'd be praying for that. Instead I'll just hope. It's also a tragedy that we're going to be too late for so many people.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2013, 05:11:41 pm »

We've already got a decent handle on how Alzheimer's works, and how we could theoretically sabotage that process. Even people who are currently middle-aged have a decent chance of never having to worry about it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:57 pm »

... assuming it ends up fairly inexpensive, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »

Demand causes cheapness.

Everyone is always on about how the future is going to have a technologically-enhanced elite and starving masses, but that isn't how these things work. Nobody wants to get Alzheimer's. Everyone is at risk of Alzheimer's. Thus, everyone will want to use the preventative measures. If everybody in the world buys your preventative measure, you can sell it for almost no individual profit and make more money than you would have if you sold it only to the rich for massive individual profit. And if you don't, someone else will.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21