Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43215 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Gecko feet's where it's at, man. Fuck Dance on the ceiling, dude. On the freaking ceiling.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:39:35 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

If you're fucking on the ceiling... How could you tell who's on top?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Gravity.

The other thing which comes up, a bit related to the species modification thing, will be subspecies and subgroups of humans which may arise. Bias and discrimination is much easier when 'they' are actually vastly physically different; and hell, we don't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to committing vast atrocities against one another even when we are so similar looking that you can't tell the difference between the two groups.

Related to this, when you mix spaceflight into the mix, those living in colonies on other planets may take up vastly different forms from those on Earth. Aside from any speciation-like divide due to geographically separated culture, the vastly different gravities and living conditions may result in us changing our form to suit the planetary conditions, rather than the other way around. Terraforming a planet or moon may take hundreds of years and huge resource commitments, if it's feasible at all; modifying ourselves to fit the environment would likely be less costly and much more rapid in most cases.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:58:39 pm by alway »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Gravity.

This should be sigged. Someone please xD.

I highly doubt that even by the time we get that kind of technology we'll have regressed to the state that bestiality is okay so long as you have the same body rather then having you ostracized, assigned to psychiatric treatment, imprisoned and probably slowly burned by people who dislike the idea of jails.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:18:26 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

You heard it here, folks. Genetic engineering leads to Lionel Richie.
Ban it.
Up is subjective.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Ban it.

And stop our future from being chock full of Lionels? What kind of sick bastard are you? Imagine the breakthroughs we'd have if 7 Lionels were crammed into a laboratory.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Ban it.

And stop our future from being chock full of Lionels? What kind of sick bastard are you? Imagine the breakthroughs we'd have if 7 Lionels were crammed into a laboratory.
.....Double-Ban it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I personally can't wait for the time that we have thought-manipulation tools like was discussed a few pages back. Bob Ross, I will finally conquer your fiendish wet-on-wet oil painting!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cthulhu Inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I'm already doing and being, or know somone who is, half the things you are planing for decades I the future at best. And some stuff even the best of you haven't dared imagine. Stuff you'd think I were crazy if I told you.

You mean like in that story you wrote where a guy uses a magical laptop computer to turn himself into an eight-year-old girl?

Where is this?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Something really interesting to watch will be the Future Emerging Technologies (FET) grant/s. http://www.euractiv.com/innovation-enterprise/euro-research-race-enters-closin-news-513278
Of the final 6 (at least 1 of which will be getting $1 billion in funding from the EU), 4 of the 6 are, to put it mildly, REALLY REALLY AWESOME.
1. FuturICT; this project aims to take in and process huge quantities of data, using it to predict large scale future events, as well as produce more accurate methods of modeling future events.
2. The Human Brain Project; this project is an outgrowth of Project Blue Brain. Project Blue Brain has been simulating, at the molecular level, how neurons interact. Thus far, they've simulated portions of a rat brain, with a goal of simulating a full rat brain by 2014. Their ultimate goal is to simulate a human brain (approximately 1000 times bigger, according to their site), which is where it ties into this sub-project. They've already got plenty of results from their work thus far; and if they were to simulate a full human brain, BAM, strong humanlike AI.
3. Robot Companions for Citizens; this project is to effectively create an environment of human-interaction friendly robots to make our lives better.
4. Guardian Angles; this project aims to create wearable equipment for health and environment monitoring purposes; essentially a really small, user friendly sensor-platform.
5. ITFOM; essentially just an IT reworking of the way medical information is processed/gets around. It should be done, but it's more of a 'business as usual' project as far as the average person is concerned IMO
6. Graphene Flagship; material science research into graphene and related materials; again, important, but relatively mundane as far as transformative potential goes

Links to the projects can be found on the page I linked.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:13:51 pm by alway »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Hey now, graphene is ridiculously awesome stuff with plenty of transformative potential due to extreme strength, hardness and electrical conductivity.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I'm already doing and being, or know somone who is, half the things you are planing for decades I the future at best. And some stuff even the best of you haven't dared imagine. Stuff you'd think I were crazy if I told you.

You mean like in that story you wrote where a guy uses a magical laptop computer to turn himself into an eight-year-old girl?

Where is this?

It's creepy enough that I'm pretty sure linking to it from this forum thread could run the risk of me getting banned.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Well yes, but it doesn't have the immediate, vastly transformative effect the four I pointed out do. The first would transform a variety of fields, particularly social sciences and other previously 'soft science' fields, and put into public consciousness that by using sufficient data, we can predict the future to some extent; including human behavior. The second would rank in importance somewhere between discovering extraterrestrial life and discovering intelligent extraterrestrial life; changing how we think about ourselves in a very deep way. The third would result in an increasing acceptance of robotic humanoids living and working alongside us. The fourth would allow for an opening up of awareness of one's environment and surroundings; it essentially gives you another few dozen senses as well as making worn electronics integrated with yourself the norm rather than the exception.

So while graphene research is important, I wouldn't even put it in the same categories as the four whose effects would result in a direct change of global culture and technological awareness. They're the flying cars and jetpacks that this generation is so sorely lacking; something to make us think of the future again, rather than recycling the ideas of 'The Future' as envisioned in the 1960s. The phrase "The future is now" only works because we haven't had a new vision of the future for 40 years.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

You mean like

Where is this?

story.txt
See this? Now that's not cool. You're disrupting a thread solely to bring up irrelevant stuff to harass someone, followed by one of you asshats creating a sockpuppet account to continue it.

That's not just crossing a line, that's crossing a line, taking a boat across the nearest ocean, burning the boat, then taking a one way rocket trip to mars. This isn't fucking 4chan; we don't dig up and post people's docs here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:29:29 am by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21