Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43193 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I'm already doing and being, or know somone who is, half the things you are planing for decades I the future at best. And some stuff even the best of you haven't dared imagine. Stuff you'd think I were crazy if I told you.

You mean like in that story you wrote where a guy uses a magical laptop computer to turn himself into an eight-year-old girl?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

John Galt Fanfiction

• Bay Watcher
  • HE SAID, DISROBING OBJECTIVELY, SLOWLY, LOVINGLY
    • View Profile
    • CANDY CANDY CANDY CANDY CANDY

There's a fairly decent chance somehting actualy BETTER than jetpacks are going to work out, and might even be coming soon: ornithocopters. Know a goy who's working on one, and there is no real reason why it wouldn't work,  electric engines and batteries have finally gotten light and powerful enough for it.

They've been around and feasible for decades now. Your goy is well behind the curve in anything other than marketing and justifying the massive insurance costs it would involve to have people strap personal flying devices to themselves and letting them out amongst the general public.

Oh, and please post some evidence about how you're living 20 years into the future, thanks in advance.

Meanwhile, I'm already doing and being, or know somone who is, half the things you are planing for decades I the future at best. And some stuff even the best of you haven't dared imagine. Stuff you'd think I were crazy if I told you.

You mean like in that story you wrote where a guy uses a magical laptop computer to turn himself into an eight-year-old girl?

e: what

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't outrun the future, for it is already here. :cueballeyes:

If the future is here, why aren't my appliances talking back to me or making horrible pre-recorded puns?
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

If the future is here, why aren't my appliances talking back to me or making horrible pre-recorded puns?
You mean you don't have this fridge?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I don't know why you would need Twitter on your fridge. Or what you'd even use it for.

@frijluvr makin spaghetti right now lol #frommyfridge #lol #pizza

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

There's a fairly decent chance somehting actualy BETTER than jetpacks are going to work out, and might even be coming soon: ornithocopters. Know a goy who's working on one, and there is no real reason why it wouldn't work,  electric engines and batteries have finally gotten light and powerful enough for it.

They've been around and feasible for decades now. Your goy is well behind the curve in anything other than marketing and justifying the massive insurance costs it would involve to have people strap personal flying devices to themselves and letting them out amongst the general public.
The problem with those is fuel; they literally last less than a minute. It would be more accurate to say we're waiting for practical jetpacks, but, you know. I still don't have a jetpack.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

1. Upload 17 pages of tree puns into tv
2. Make tv say pun every time you switch channel
3. ?? ?
4. Profit

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Um, an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithopter means a flapping wing design, not a backpack helicopter. And why is everyone poking fun at my spelling?

Anyway, since people seem interested, said guys blog is here: http://my.opera.com/altg/blog/
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a lot going on in this thread that could be responded to. Overall though, I get the impression that people here will probably cope better than the average person might. I've had similar conversations on other forums, and they often devolve into me trying to explain to people that the "super ridiculously advanced future techs that humanity could never have developed without secret help from aliens" have sometimes been around in one form or another since the 1800s.

Personally, my big moment of "future shock" happened about 10 years ago when I first walked into a mall and saw one of these (on a board, not a truck.) When I saw that...I stopped in my tracks, and basically said to myself, "Ok. That's it then. We're in the future now." Since then I've pretty much been of the Where's my jetpack? school of thought. Though at this point I suspect that the jetpacks might not ever really be commonplace because they might be displaced by, say...continent-to-continent teleportation.

Global telepathy is likely to be a game changer. I don't really see anyway, short of the destruction of modern civilization, for that to not happen. Others have pointed out the increase in communication speed. Telepathy seems like a logical extension of that. We already have brain to computer interfaces. It's basically just a matter of refinement before somebody figures out a practical way to transmit audio and video too. Once people can pay a couple hundred dollars for an implant that allows them to record anything they experience to internal hardware and transmit it to others via a wireless network...just apply existing concepts like youtube, livestream, craisgslist...and let your mind go wild.

What happens when the majority of the human population is connected via a real time computer/brain interface? Add in transmission of emotion, thought and tactile sensation while you're at it.

Total game changer.

Anyway, just to respond to a couple quick points mentioned by others, we went from the human aerial flight in 1903 to the first man on the moon in 1969. We've had a bit of a lull in space travel lately, but just two months ago Voyager 1 left the heliosphere and passed into interstellar space. If 66 years was enough time to go from first flight through air to landing on the moon, I wouldn't be surprised if it's enough time to go from interstellar probes to interstellar human transport, or even teleportation.

As to sex with robots...this is a robot. Here are two talking to each other. Here's one walking. Now, after watching those (or at least the first one. It's short.)  now go watch an asimo video from ten years ago, extrapolate the difference and try to imagine what they'll be like ten years from now. Keep in mind it's the Japanese making these things.

And as for people thinking they won't be alive to see these things happen Biological immortality and youth regeneration may have already been invented. Oh, also lost limb regeneration. It might not be much longer before someone on their deathbed can take a pill and have a brand new "20 year old" body in weeks.

Add in star trek holodecks (they're working on it) and matter replicators (yeah, working on those too), and it might not make a huge different whether the 2012 spiritual ascension scenario happens. Humans might create their own ascension via technology.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Here's one scary thought on the telepathy thing:

If we can take images out of people's heads, you can say bye bye to every form of art. Anything you can imagine could instantly be transferred from your head to a computer. The interfaces to create music, visual art, movies, video games, etc etc will all be so simple that anyone and everyone can make whatever they want. Then we shall face a true scarcity-less society when it comes to creative endeavors. Creativity will be the sole determination of something's quality as technical prowess and resources becomes irrelevant, and within a decade or so there will literally be nothing new under the sun.

All those bad fanfiction writers could then make full on feature length movies... in an afternoon. With the best effects you (or rather, they) can imagine. And so can you! Did you think a scene sucked in one of your favorite movies? Edit it in five minutes and it will be indistinguishable from the original actors/etc.

So in the end, what will be left? Will everything relating to storytelling and art be written off as cliche, as it all has literally been done a million times before? Or will we find a criteria to judge things on besides originality and technical prowess?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Personally, my big moment of "future shock" happened about 10 years ago when I first walked into a mall and saw one of these (on a board, not a truck.) When I saw that...I stopped in my tracks, and basically said to myself, "Ok. That's it then. We're in the future now."
...Seriously?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's one scary thought on the telepathy thing:

If we can take images out of people's heads, you can say bye bye to every form of art. Anything you can imagine could instantly be transferred from your head to a computer. The interfaces to create music, visual art, movies, video games, etc etc will all be so simple that anyone and everyone can make whatever they want. Then we shall face a true scarcity-less society when it comes to creative endeavors. Creativity will be the sole determination of something's quality as technical prowess and resources becomes irrelevant, and within a decade or so there will literally be nothing new under the sun.

All those bad fanfiction writers could then make full on feature length movies... in an afternoon. With the best effects you (or rather, they) can imagine. And so can you! Did you think a scene sucked in one of your favorite movies? Edit it in five minutes and it will be indistinguishable from the original actors/etc.

So in the end, what will be left? Will everything relating to storytelling and art be written off as cliche, as it all has literally been done a million times before? Or will we find a criteria to judge things on besides originality and technical prowess?

I think you're underestimating just how much of a leap there is between sending visual input to another person and having them receive it, versus sending the mental perception of it. Our brain does tons of processing that we're not aware of on things we see, and we're really not aware of most of what is in our field of vision at any one time. We're really really good at picking up things the very center of our view, and anything moving, but everything else takes quite a bit of effort to focus on. If we manage to convert imagination to an image on a screen, it isn't going to look anything like reality.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I imagine it will certainly take some effort to create a detailed image, but pen and paper is definitely going the way of the dodo once we get the basics down.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Here's one scary thought on the telepathy thing:[snip]
Waiting with eagerness for the day that stuff happens. Being able to create without the physical limitations (such as time, building up skills -- which I'm not capable of to a certain degree (minor dysgraphia, etc.) -- and so forth) is an absolute dream for me. I can't think of anything better that could happen to the creative sphere than actual thought-to-media conversion. Creative works limited only by the limits of imagination and naught else? Bring it. That sounds like absolute bliss. Every possible creative work under the sun actually existing? I have trouble thinking of a better scenario.

I imagine it will certainly take some effort to create a detailed image, but pen and paper is definitely going the way of the dodo once we get the basics down.
*rampant cheering*

Seriously though, probably not. We've still got blacksmiths around despite being able to make machines that can match or surpass their capability with ridiculous ease. There's a degree of appreciation for technical prowess even after that prowess becomes functionally needless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21