Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Will the old people of the future be as technophobic as the old people now?  (Read 43166 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

I wouldn't mind technological progress. Just as long as my life is still private, and there's no chance to mind-control me or a way to end my life remotely if I don't agree with any form of politics. Plus, I am a bit on the religiously scared side of technologoical progress where the book of Revelations is concerned. Until the events of that pass, and I see less potential corrupt use of more advanced tech in those regards (like RFID chips for example), then will I feel a little more comfortable about it.

But I'll still willingly hold myself back tech-wise for nostalgia, and the thrill of manually doing things. Or at least, doing them the classic way. Sure, more difficult, but more satisfying to do.

EDIT:
Personally, the future I would like to see is a melting pot of anachronism. Typewriters and record players will never die; even if we're telepathically sharing music over a crystal network in a medieval-style castle on a neo-futuristic floating island which was a decommisioned weapon battery.

Oddly enough, that exactly describes a location I once thought up for a story. A massive floating island, with an infrastructure of a decommisoned ancient megaweapon, on the surface are castles and mosques and such, and such structures even pepper across the underbelly of the island, there are calssic dirigibles (like blimps) and similar with boats hanging underneath, and in aerodromes around the island are also airships as you'd see in Final fantasy, and modified warships from our era to be able to fly docked within them. Technology, by standard norm, is so advanced, it's easily mistaken for magic, but even psychokinetics have been researched to the extent that spiritualism actually can influence elements sans-technology as well (technically, actually being magic; since the soul is in control, not technology). And like also mentioned, there are vinyl records, steam technology, and even today's computers still in use on the island as well. It's like if Land of the Lost was it's own nation, except floating in the sky and FAA certified.

For those uncomfortable with progress, there's always an emulator for that. Especially if something is doomed to obscurity.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:28:13 pm by Itnetlolor »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Given some of the responses in this thread, I definitely see history repeating itself.

At my job, I upgraded how we keep track of employee commission work to use a spreadsheet on a computer instead of doing it all by hand with pen and paper. What took 4-5 hours now takes 30 minutes. As soon as I leave, I've been explicitly told that the company is going straight back to pen and paper. Why? Because of similar excuses as shown by people here: Pen and paper is "more satisfying," they "like to hold it in their hands." Stuff like that.

We don't know where technology is headed, but I'm pretty confident in saying it's going to be more and more abstract. A computer screen is a wacky concept to someone used to working with 3 dimensional, physical objects. Whatever we upgrade to past that is going to hit a lot of resistance from folk much like the people here, who are used to their computer screens.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I think that these things come and go.  I think that the current generation of under 30 people in the US will be quite technolophilic when the time comes (that list of stuff just ain't gonna happen though, sorry).  But at some point in the future there's gonna be a generation of technophiles.

You only have the perspective of one lifetime so for you it's natural to think that young people are openminded and old people are phobic.  But that hasn't always been the case.  There have been times in the past where racism or xenopbobia or homophobia or sexism have solidified and times in the past where they have receded.  What that shows is that a generation can be more or less openminded then the one before or after it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile

If there's something I'm interested in doing, and there's a piece of technology that will allow me to do it, then I will use said technology. If there's a piece of technology is developed for something I don't care for, I probably won't bother with it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

If there's a piece of technology is developed for something I don't care for, I probably won't bother with it.
for me, facebook and the like.
Ugh. People putting pics of their stillborn children on Facebook was almost enough reason to quit Facebook for me today.
Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some people?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

I don't think that technophobia will be such a serious problem in the future, because I don't think that there will be any rapid technological progress in the future (outside of entertainment industry and useless expensive gadget industry, etc.).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

rapid technological progress
entertainment industry
You haven't been paying much attention to the entertainment industry, have you. the major people in that keep trying to choke new techs to death for no apparent reason (piracy is not a valid reason in this case, its going to happen anyway)

useless expensive gadget industry
You're right here, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

* Will you be comfortable having brain implants to allow you "telepathic" communcation with the devices in your home?
Sure.
 * Will you be comfortable when primitive things like email and cellphones have been replaced with real-time global telepathy?
As long as there was an absolute lock tight no way to break into the thoughts I don't want broadcast, yeah.
 * Will you be comfortable when your son or daughter wants to marry an alien? Or a robot? Or a non-human genetic construct?
Dunno. I'm sure God will say something. Robot, definitely not.
 * Will you be comfortable having friends invite you to neighboring solar systems for lunch?
Sure.
 * Will you be comfortable having your physical body destroyed and your consciousness uploaded into a machine? Will you be comfortable interacting with others who have done so?
When I'm old, perhaps. Right now I have a a slim shot at making it into the Olympics for shooting sports, so not until I give up on that.
 * Will you be comfortable having sex with people who were the opposite gender of a different species a few hours ago and simply had a new body constructed to wear for the night?
No, because I'm uncomfortable with and detest all intercourse outside of marriage. So I'd have to be married to them first, and that would require God ok, see answer one.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

rapid technological progress
entertainment industry
You haven't been paying much attention to the entertainment industry, have you. the major people in that keep trying to choke new techs to death for no apparent reason (piracy is not a valid reason in this case, its going to happen anyway)
By technological advancement in the entertainment industry, I mean such things as and more and more powerful graphic cards and gaming consoles, various new film-related gimmicks (such as 3D cinema, for example), etc.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

That they do have, though i would've just put that with the rest of the gradual upgrading stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

* Will you be comfortable when your son or daughter wants to marry an alien? Or a robot? Or a non-human genetic construct?
Dunno. I'm sure God will say something. Robot, definitely not.
But it clearly says in the New World Order Bible that marriage is between a human and a xenomorph!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:42:11 pm by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

(After a large amount of talking to my grandmother, a little bit with my great-grandmother before she died, and my father) I've come to the conclusion that the real problem with technology and older people isn't so much the fact that they are against it, it is really two other things:

1)Change. As people grow older they tend to become more "set in their ways". After somebody has lived in the same house for 40 years and hasn't even changed the furniture, they tend to grow very resistant to change. Just a few months ago I was helping my grandma get an 8 year old printer to work with her computer because she wasn't comfortable buying a new one (even though it was nigh-identical except in black instead of grey), despite the fact that her printer was so old that if her computer was brand new it probably wouldn't even support a printer that old. She just wasn't comfortable changing so she preferred to remain with the older equipment. When you have been able to control every part of your environment, most people don't like to change when they can stay the same, it's also one of the reasons why a lot of older people don't like moving into old folks homes, because they don't want to change.

2)Speed of information transfer. My great-grandmother lived in a time where for most of her life the only way to send messages was to send a letter, then wait weeks or even months to reply. Being able to send a message via telegram to the next city over, then receive a message back maybe in an hour or so was amazing for her. My grandmother lived in a time where the radio became commonplace, allowing for faster transmission of information, but to quote her "the ability to pick up a telephone and talk to somebody elsewhere in the U.S. still amazes me sometimes". For my dad he grew up with the telephone, but he was really surprised when he learned that it wasn't uncommon for me and my brother to be playing an online game like DotA with somebody from Russia, Korea, and Europe all at the same time in a real-time game. As you can see with each generation the speed of information spread increases, and so does the speed at which the culture reacts. Where older people are used to it taking months for new nifty pieces of information to spread around throughout the country, the modern culture and technology goes through that process in the matter of days (that's what a meme is, a new phrase or piece of info that becomes commonplace by spreading through word of mouth). As such their brains are simply not used to dealing with information that changes that quickly, making them completely incapable of keeping up with the "latest" or even the "newer" pieces of technology without significant retraining of their brain. (Not to say that this can't be a good thing at times, this is the reason why parents have difficulty with chat speak and why those "50 text abbreviations parents should know" lists are so hilarious. The people who write them don't understand that within a week of them writing some of their definitions will be obsolete, and in fact some of them will change specifically because the parents now have them figured out. :P)

Spoiler: As for the questions: (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, fingers are better - they can't malfunction.

I laughed so hard my (real) teeth fell out. I am friends with a man who had a stroke. His brain works well, but every action he takes with his body is a struggle.

Teeeeechnophobe.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

I wont fear any future technology, i will embrace it with open arms, especially if it grants immortality.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21