Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72837 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation:TA-inspired RTS: Gamma?
« Reply #525 on: May 28, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

OK I can appreciate that stuff has yet to be added.  But I backed the game on KS and, this is not unique to Uber, I really want them to just make the game and not be showing it off too early just to sell more copies at the higher price.  The way they've monetized and marketed the game is pretty cynical and unless PA is an amazing experience I won't be buying anything from Uber again.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:00 pm »

while its interesting...its annoying since if the servers go down your galactic war game vs ai disconnect ::)

..... what?!
yes, if your in the middle of playing galactic war, it will keep your overall war progress but even if your 2 hours into a battle you will get kicked if you either lose internet or if the servers goes down since the game still needs to confirm every move with the server apparently.
Its been said before that the alpha/beta/gamma has been in an online mode only for dev reasons and that it won't be whenever its actually done.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 28, 2014, 11:57:17 pm »

Ok, I'm...just a bit annoyed that its that way since I had to look very closely to see that offline play was an upcoming feature since I bought the game because single player was released and it was on sale. I probably should do more then 10 minutes of reading before buying a game.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 29, 2014, 01:28:34 am »

I am just going to wait until it is finished anyhow unless by some miracle I am in the money, or it goes on some insane sale.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 29, 2014, 02:40:22 pm »

Got stuck in a game yesterday, galactic war. The game starts i only have access to T1 bots and basic orbital..... Start the game as usual, i start with a sub commander, sounds good, make my moves i start seeing T2 unit and i see the enemy commander is starting orbital building, wich i havent... Fire up some orbital unit of my own but i only have the basics i find the commander and blow him up with a quick rush of my bots, he was straying away from his base and his defenses. Good ridance.

Give up a few global command to my builders and start moving to the next planet wich was a stronghold of enemy since my sub-commander didnt go there yet... thats gonna be a tought nut to crack. Mass up all my unit near the teleporter and build one using the orbital unit on the other planet. MASSIVE incoming of T1 bots, around 800 unit went tough the teleporter and then the commander sent everything he had at me..... they blew up my teleporter easily but i had a lot of unit on the ground to hold them off, T1-T2 in the mix, move my orbital builder a bit back to build another teleporter and re-link while other obital builder was placing down anchor ( orbital defense turret that shoot on planet and in orbit ). Spam the crap out of them all around the teleporter.

Beach head secure and i start exploring around while building defenses and artillery around the teleporter. The fight goes on for almost 45 minute slowly moving forward only to get pushed back again by an overwhelming force. The frontline kept moving forward and backward nearly back to the teleporter. I had to build anchor just behind the frontline to weaken them and support my main frontline, they had one hell of an economy with T2 economy while i was stuk with T1. i finaly get a peek at his commander, buried deep down inside his base.... No way i can move my units there, too many umbrella orbital defense ( shooting anything orbiting getting close from the ground.

So i have been grinding the surrounding with over 20 orbital builder, spamming anchor and sending massive amount of ground unit to keep them occupied and to give me line of sight and well.. grind them. The game took 1hr30 but i finaly made it. Long ass game, laggy as shit because it had to send feedback to their server non-stop and 1.5k unit + does that to you XD. But it was a blast finaly some challenge haha.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 31, 2014, 07:26:37 pm »

just got the subcommander tech in the galactic war. it basically means rotflstomping all planets with a single enemy commander :P

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:05 pm »

Kinda wish this game was less spam/click speed dependant. I don't care much for or do well with RTS games that are based on those factors

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 31, 2014, 10:19:20 pm »

Kinda wish this game was less spam/click speed dependant. I don't care much for or do well with RTS games that are based on those factors

All RTS's are like this. Play more turn based games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 31, 2014, 11:07:20 pm »

Play less Starcraft. Good RTS games are about strategy, not click speed. "Spam" is a valid strategy though, even if the simplest one. I recommend the original Total Annihilation. Somehow no "successor" since then has managed to capture its feel. (Although I haven't played PA yet, so jury's out on that, but I doubt it.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:10:50 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:40 am »

I never go on full clicky clicky with this game there is some very nice patrol addition that if you right click and hold you can set a radius and unit move all around that circle, hell if you do it and your cursor move past the planet it will do a full planet patrol, can do it the same for the attack order. you can also queue up a lot of buildings pf the same kind one behind the other by sldiing your click.

My personnal tactics wich works for pretty much any kind of game, 2 metal, 2 energy, 2 factory and a shitload of energy by after. the first 2 factory goes on full engineer. first engineer goes on full planet metal building using that shift click-slide thingy. Second goes on full energy production witht he commander, third one start mass factory production and others support where there is need. Other factory keep churning out units that are on (P-L), each factory produce only one kind of unit and PL goes for P for patrol and L for continuous production and the patrol radius is either close or later on full planet.

By the time i find the enemy commander i have enough unit all around the planet to simply send them all at him and finish him, also using tyhe full planet patrol i keep the pressur on his further metal production unit.

Using this tactics mix and match with yours, find what you want best from it and i hope it will be usefull for you. Hell sometime i even play watching TV at the same time on hard. Let the patrol work by itself, you wont have to scout yourself your unit will do it for you if you used the planet patrol, very powerfull.

Have fun and dont be afraid to ask for more info if needed :).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2014, 03:20:29 am »

This is very not true. Played Total War? It's got the detail of an RTS, the stuff is simulated before your eyes (unlike a TBS) but there's a pause button! So, no amount of fast clicking is really going to make a difference.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2014, 04:31:36 am »

Somehow no "successor" since then has managed to capture its feel. (Although I haven't played PA yet, so jury's out on that, but I doubt it.)

The first and easiest test in my opinion is whether or not units can miss.

What made fighter planes so deadly in the original for example wasn't that they were sturdy or particularly powerful... but it was because they could dodge everything.

It is what Supreme Commander didn't have that I think decided it for me. Mind you Supreme Commander I think gave its own interesting spin on the premise and was a good game in its own right. With Supreme Commander 2 distilling away almost everything that was good about the first in an attempt to "balance" the game, but learned the hard way that there is such a thing as making a game "too balanced".

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2014, 04:43:32 am »

Try spring rts, especially the zero-k mod. It is the closest modern incarnation of TA, even if I hate all addictions above T3

also multiplayer is well optimized and battle 4v4 are commonplace, with the open battle room geared at 6v6 and 8v8.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:32:42 am by LoSboccacc »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 03, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »

Try spring rts, especially the zero-k mod. It is the closest modern incarnation of TA, even if I hate all addictions above T3

also multiplayer is well optimized and battle 4v4 are commonplace, with the open battle room geared at 6v6 and 8v8.

Isn't Zero-K pretty much a complete remake?

Aren't you looking for Balanced TA instead?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:09 pm »

well, true, but balanced ta doesn't have such a nice lobby, gameplay isn't as refined and there seems to be overall less players active.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40