Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72885 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation:TA-inspired RTS: Alpha complaints edition
« Reply #465 on: June 17, 2013, 03:26:08 pm »

The issue is that rating an alpha is far from ridiculous, but giving a game a permanent rating for when it was in alpha is another story.

Metacritic cannot accommodate it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »

The issue is that rating an alpha is far from ridiculous, but giving a game a permanent rating for when it was in alpha is another story.

Metacritic cannot accommodate it.
You cannot realistically rate an alpha of a game as if it were a released game. It isn't even a complete game, and that fact is acknowledged by the developers. Rating it as a completed game on sites like metacritic makes no sense whatsoever.

"Hur dur it crashes and there are bugs, 1/10"

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 17, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

Well, part of the problem is the massive portion of people who play an alpha for any reason other than wanting to help the final game be better by playtesting it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »

Well, part of the problem is the massive portion of people who play an alpha for any reason other than wanting to help the final game be better by playtesting it.
That always happens, and doesn't make it any more logical to apply a game rating system to an unfinished game.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 17, 2013, 03:45:20 pm »

That always happens, and doesn't make it any more logical to apply a game rating system to an unfinished game.

Spoiler: Mandatory joke (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2013, 03:50:42 pm »

It really seems to be a modern problem created by the game industry themselves. Back in ye olde days of yore betas were free and there was a general culture of wanting to locate flaws and reporting them. Fast forward a decade and we're stuck with companies using betas as nothing more than advertising while not wanting any feedback from the community. I still remember that nonsense with the Battlefield 3 beta and Medal of Honor: 2010.

Now obviously this isn't the case with Planetary Annihilation and it seems they actually want input from people playing the alpha but I can see why there's a portion of the population confused about what a beta/alpha is and whether it is just pre-release access or not.

However, it's still extremely stupid to have been able to rate a game in alpha or even beta. It does highlight a massive flaw with the industry's current obsession with Metacritc and review scores.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 17, 2013, 04:17:52 pm »

Indeed. Rating an alpha is ridiculous anyway, rating a game based on price is just stupid. By that logic, all of the 99 cent games should get scores of 100%

Take a look at the reviews for DLC quest...
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyhow ultimately everything is about how worthwhile something is to buy. That is what a review is for.

If an alpha is crud and isn't worth buying, then that is a valid thing to say "Yeah it offered an Alpha but other then a few physics tests you don't get much. I suggest waiting for the full game. I give the alpha a 5/10"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:58:27 pm by Neonivek »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 18, 2013, 07:55:17 am »

Can we get back to discussing strapping engines on an asteroid and slamming them into enemy planets?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 21, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »

Nah, I'm sure they'll find a way to make strapping engines to asteroids and crashing them into planets awesome, but impractical. Because it is.
._.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »

I sure killed this thread.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 22, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »

I sure killed this thread.

No the lack of any new info killed the thread. You just stopped it from being buried earlier then it would have.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #477 on: June 22, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »

Yeah to be frank the alpha is very very rough and not particularly worth commenting on yet. Its interesting, some things are pretty. The overall feel is very TA/Supcom obviously. Perhaps too much so. There are no orbital mechanics so you are planetbound as yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #478 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44:05 am »

I say have 'em call up Squad and be done with the orbital physics in a weekend.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 23, 2013, 11:32:40 am »

I'd totally play that :D
(Somewhat relevant: KSP unmodded epic space battle.)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40