Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72861 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

What I want to do is nuke the planet to make a crater and then LAND my asteroid base on the planet! Instant base.

Later on, take off and assault another planet.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate to be the downer, but it will have little more then:

#Move between space objects (units/commanders)
#One way "attacks" with space objects.

I doubt you could even move astroids around your planet in a friendly way, or infact do anything with them besides
a) base + build
b) smack into something

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I wonder if they'll implement nuclear weapons, and if they do, if they'll be able to launch toward other planets/astral bodies. Maybe the nukes could even be used as an asteroid defense, blowing them to bits before they can impact.
You did see the trailer, right?

...How did I miss that? I swear, I can watch something like a hawk and miss stuff that should be totally obvious.

It still doesn't show the nukes being 'interplanetary', though, they barely launched out of orbit.
Nothing important here, move along.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just watched the trailer for the first time:
Holy shit! this looks to be one of the best games ever!
And looking at the art style it seems they are talking the best things from TA(the PeeWee bots, and the green-construction-nanobots),
instead of talking the worst parts like supreme commander did.
brb, gonna throw some money at them.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I would want base automation so I could colonize every asteroid

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I hate to be the downer, but it will have little more then:

#Move between space objects (units/commanders)
#One way "attacks" with space objects.

I doubt you could even move astroids around your planet in a friendly way, or infact do anything with them besides
a) base + build
b) smack into something
Well, there will, supposedly, be "orbital" units. So, much like there are moons and moonbases, I suspect that if the game does make it far enough to be enable us to chuck asteroids at planets, we will be able to put the mobile asteroids into different orbits. I mean, what's the point of an asteroid base with engines if you can't just move it? But I'll agree with your views on the basis that it's better to expect the worst in these cases. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I would want base automation so I could colonize every asteroid

If they're actually taking TA's interface, you should be able to automate just about everything. Factories will automatically produce soldiers and send them where you want them to go, and builders can be set to build, patrol, and maintain the base effectively indefinitely.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Guys, once again, this is nothing but an idea right now. No graphics have been done, no proper gameplay, nothing. The real work starts when they get their cash, until then (and even then) there is no telling what this will turn out to be.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

While the trailer and the like are indeed just visualizations, the devs have said that that's mainly how they want the game to look and feel, and did their best to bring out the cartoony, over-the-top graphics they are expecting for the game.  Things might change, but I think the overall design will be the same.

Plus, they already have a headstart with the graphics for several units and structures.  It takes just as much work to create 3D textures and the like for a 'movie' as it does for game's engine, so I'm sure they plan to just carry them over. *nod nods*
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This looks to be really awesome, though I'm not sure why it'd cost $200,000 to implement naval units.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

This looks to be really awesome, though I'm not sure why it'd cost $200,000 to implement naval units.
Because they aren't just going to implement naval units. They're going to implement water physics that can react to planetary-scale impacts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they aren't just going to implement naval units. They're going to implement water physics that can react to planetary-scale impacts.
More importantly, they can implement naval units and water physics, and they want those $200,000. It's a stretch goal for a reason, and that reason isn't to have a more developed game on release. This is, in itself, part of the reason I really don't like stretch goals like these.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

More importantly, they can implement naval units and water physics, and they want those $200,000. It's a stretch goal for a reason, and that reason isn't to have a more developed game on release. This is, in itself, part of the reason I really don't like stretch goals like these.
Doing water physics which can react in a convincing way to planetary-scale collisions isn't going to be easy and none of them are going to work for free...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doing water physics which can react in a convincing way to planetary-scale collisions isn't going to be easy and none of them are going to work for free...
I doubt they'll be going for any actual simulation there. There are a scarce few games that so much as attempt that in realtime, and they deal with significantly smaller areas. We're likely to see a reinterpretation of the Tsunami spell from Populous (modified to account for modern hardware). Ocean flash-evaporates at impact point, planet heightmap alters to make a crater, radial "tsunami" spawns, expanding outward, perhaps global sea level lowers to account for missing water and whatever gets moved around with the wave. Any sort of meaningful "simulation" is just not going to happen, however small they make the planets. It just requires too much processing power.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Making nice ship models take time.
Time is money.
see?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40