Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?  (Read 13298 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 06:34:01 pm »

It's somewhat amusing how much of our squishy bits are either caustic or poisonous, really. And how much everything else is the same, to one degree or another. Earth's actually a pretty hostile place, innit?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 02:40:51 am »

IIRC lactic acid can be some cause for concern; it's what your body uses to break down (and rebuild) your muscles after exercise... a process which can cause extreme soreness, as many who decide to stop for five minutes in the middle of an intense hike or run become woefully aware. Not to be confused with lactase, which is an enzyme necessary for breaking down -and 'tolerating'- lactose.

Which reminds me of a funny story, one time I think I actually induced lactose intolerance by eating incredibly hot kielbasa straight off the pan (like, swallow-it-before-the-oil-comes-out-and-burns-you hot). Not long thereafter I started on a big enough bowl of ice cream to raise health concerns under the best of circumstances and started experiencing all the symptoms: Cramps, nausea, near-vomiting, and later terrible flatulence and diarrhea- some of the more immediate symptoms got worse with every spoonful of ice cream (which I didn't finish). I was fine by the next day, but I didn't really get a good guess what had happened until we killed lactase in biology class with (relatively) low levels of heat later.

So yeah, anyone got a scary name for piping hot foods?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 04:24:09 am »

Well, there's always the compound 8-Methyl-N-vanillyl-trans-6-nonenamide, which can induce extreme pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and burning diarrhea.  Eye contact can result in intense pain and watering, conjunctivitis and uncontrollable eyelid spasms.

It's also quite addictive, as I can confirm myself, and sufficient ingestion can develop effects such as light-headedness, a feeling of increased pressure inside the head, minor visual hallucinations and a temporary loss of connection with the real world.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 11:53:16 am »

Well, there's always the compound 8-Methyl-N-vanillyl-trans-6-nonenamide, which can induce extreme pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and burning diarrhea.  Eye contact can result in intense pain and watering, conjunctivitis and uncontrollable eyelid spasms.

It's also quite addictive, as I can confirm myself, and sufficient ingestion can develop effects such as light-headedness, a feeling of increased pressure inside the head, minor visual hallucinations and a temporary loss of connection with the real world.

I, too, am addicted to 8-Methyl-N-vanillyl-trans-6-nonenamide.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »

Shit, I am posting it to my own facebook if you don't mind just to see my friends go apeshit.

The chemtrails thing cracks me up. I had a buddy once who swore up and down that the government was paying airlines to spray chemicals in the air behind their airplanes to pacify the population.

Promoting awareness is what we're going for here.  More the merrier.

And yeah, chemtrails are fun.  I still adore Rainbow Lady for her unsung fight against the evils of whatever the gov't is putting in our oxygen supply.

"Everywhere we look...  The visible spectrum...  Is rainbows."
I watched that too. It's awesome.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2012, 12:40:42 pm »

WE NEED TO STOP THE NWO MAKING RAINBOWS IN THEIR NEVER ENDING THIRST FOR ENERGY SOURCES.

PURE.

RAINBOWS.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »

It's somewhat amusing how much of our squishy bits are either caustic or poisonous, really. And how much everything else is the same, to one degree or another. Earth's actually a pretty hostile place, innit?
Acidity is in the eye of the proton acceptor...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

Sodium Chloride will definitely burn your eyes though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »

I believe I have previously mentioned (on the upper forums) the problems with Hydroxynilane[1].  (If Ethanol, or Hydroxyethane is regular alcohol, to which dwarves are attuned, and Methanol/Hydroxymethane is known to send imbibers[2] blind, imagine what it does to a dwarf to imbibe the next compound down that series.)

[1] Although I preferred "Hydroxynulane", I took my cue from the UIPAC SEN rules...

[2] From Roundworld, at least.  Not sure we know how it affects Dwarfworld people.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 07:56:57 pm »

Its still all weather gas and swamp balloons, fuck your chemical shit aliens did it.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 08:40:15 pm »

WE NEED TO STOP THE NWO MAKING RAINBOWS IN THEIR NEVER ENDING THIRST FOR ENERGY SOURCES.

PURE.

RAINBOWS.
QUICK! find that video of that woman who thought the rainbows were being made by chemicals in the water that the government must have put in!

Full circle!

(this conversation was started by that video)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 11:30:57 am »

Should be said that extremely pure water is, in fact, poisonous. It leeches vital minerals OUT of the body as it binds with them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:42 am »

I figured this thread was too cool to let die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 11:38:18 am »

Should be said that extremely pure water is, in fact, poisonous. It leeches vital minerals OUT of the body as it binds with them.
-After reviewing their well thought out science papers, the US government announced its new war on Osmosis.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 12:02:56 pm »

It is obviously a communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5