Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?  (Read 13307 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:22 am »

Hydroxylic acid (also known as Oxidane or µ-Oxido dihydrogen) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless chemical compound that is a corrosive agent commonly found in high concentrations in radioactive waste from nuclear plants.

Skin contact with Hydroxylic acid can cause swelling and discoloration of the affected area, while large accumulations in the lungs can prevent the uptake of oxygen into the bloodstream.

Common symptoms of Hydroxylic acid poisoning can include; coughing, discomfort, dizziness/light-headedness, a sense of panic, and uncontrollable spasms.  Prolonged contact can result in unconsciousness, brain damage, and death.

In 2004, 3,308 people died of Hydroxylic acid poisoning in the United States alone.  That number rose to nearly 3,600 deaths in 2005.  According to WHO (World Health Organization), it is currently estimated that there are over 380,000 deaths directly associated with Hydroxylic acid each year.

And you can find it in your very own home.

As of 2010, WELL OVER 63% OF ALL HOUSEHOLDS in the United States contain dangerous levels of Hydroxylic acid.  It's in our pesticides, in our cleaning products, and even in a number of "food grade" dyes and colorings.

Despite its KNOWN CORROSIVE AND HARMFUL EFFECTS, there is currently NO GOVERNMENT LEGISLATURE attempting to restrict or lower the levels of Hydroxylic acid in the common home.

In the U.K., several organized petitions have been sent in to the British Prime Minister's office, only to be turned down due to circumstantial issues.  In 2001, members of the New Zealand Green Party spoke out against the levels of Hydroxylic acid in their own country, with few successes in banning or regulating the substance.

There are currently activist groups attempting to fight against this blatant lack of concern, but due to the low media coverage or support of this issue they are fighting a losing battle.

Please copy and post this to your status to help raise awareness before more lives are lost.

**Posted by someone I know on Facebook**

So, how do people feel about this?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:28 am »

I'm more concerned about dihydrogen monoxide, myself. That shit is EVERYWHERE.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:58:06 am »

What about μ-Oxido dihydrogen?  I've heard there's a not insignificant amount of that to be found in most (if not all) rivers on Earth.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »

I feel like this is more sensationalist bullshit, to be honest. No offense intended. It's like saying, 'Gamma rays from distant stars can kill us all! We're dooomed!'
Yeah, things can kill us. Things kill us everyday. Being worried about yet another thing that can kill me is not going to save me from death. Just don't huff household chemicals and you'll probably be fine.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »

I feel like this is more sensationalist bullshit, to be honest. No offense intended. It's like saying, 'Gamma rays from distant stars can kill us all! We're dooomed!'
Yeah, things can kill us. Things kill us everyday. Being worried about yet another thing that can kill me is not going to save me from death. Just don't huff household chemicals and you'll probably be fine.

Hydroxilic acid is water.

Honestly, this joke's been done to death, though it'd be really hilarious if someone actually fell for it after it's been used so much.
Shoes...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »

Hydroxilic acid is water.

Honestly, this joke's been done to death, though it'd be really hilarious if someone actually fell for it after it's been used so much.

That explains the symptoms then... >.<
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »

It's all a ruse, a distraction to keep our minds off of the chemtrails in the sky releasing aluminum all over our crops/cars/children. It's with this the government can control us via numbers stations.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:18:54 pm »

Yep, good ol' HOH.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »

IT's THE FLUORIDE!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »

I was wondering how hydroxyl would show up in an acid, but then I realized that it was just water.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 12:28:06 pm »

What about μ-Oxido dihydrogen?  I've heard there's a not insignificant amount of that to be found in most (if not all) rivers on Earth.

Well, that is also covered in the post.

It's all a ruse, a distraction to keep our minds off of the chemtrails in the sky releasing aluminum all over our crops/cars/children. It's with this the government can control us via numbers stations.

Chemtrails are known to also contain high levels of Hydroxyl acid!  It's AN IRREFUTABLE FACT!

Hehe, yeah, I basically just wanted to see who all would go for it, both here and on Facebook.  I put entirely too much time getting numbers and working out how to write that thing up.  Just sitting back and watching now to see what all happens.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:02 pm »

Shit, I am posting it to my own facebook if you don't mind just to see my friends go apeshit.

The chemtrails thing cracks me up. I had a buddy once who swore up and down that the government was paying airlines to spray chemicals in the air behind their airplanes to pacify the population.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:50:48 pm »

Shit, I am posting it to my own facebook if you don't mind just to see my friends go apeshit.

The chemtrails thing cracks me up. I had a buddy once who swore up and down that the government was paying airlines to spray chemicals in the air behind their airplanes to pacify the population.

Promoting awareness is what we're going for here.  More the merrier.

And yeah, chemtrails are fun.  I still adore Rainbow Lady for her unsung fight against the evils of whatever the gov't is putting in our oxygen supply.

"Everywhere we look...  The visible spectrum...  Is rainbows."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »

I can remember some people standing outside a concert or something like that, petitioning to ban the incredibly addictive and deadly (if taken in too large numbers) chemical called dihydrogen monoxide.

a large number of people signed it.
If I remember correctly one of the first groups to do something like this actually managed to get enough signatures that they could have required a vote at the state level before they revealed the whole thing as a joke.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »

So while we're glossing over the dangers of water, I might as well leave this here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_hydraulic_fracturing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5