Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Adding Multiplayer/LAN to Dwarf Fortress  (Read 20180 times)

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Multiplayer/LAN to Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »

I've had a somewhat skirting history with dwarf fortress, mainly reading up on how to play as much as I can.  Normally this habit goes on longer the more complicated the subject.  So only really had much exposure to the wikis for the game.  I do intend to slot away time when I can and do some cool shit with DF because it seems neat.

Anyway that's the background a bit to show that I'm not trying to troll.  In retrospect the thread was a silly idea, it was something I casually came up with while discussing the game with a friend.  I don't think it's all that flawed of a plan, as multiplayer with like-minded friends would be brilliant.  It's not like there's no thinking going behind the suggestion, I just wanted to throw the topic up to get a feel about how people think concerning it.

A little painful that people treat something like this as trolling now, times have changed.  I posted the thread and left it for awhile because I thought the boards here moved slowly.  This was also probably a poor judgement lol.

Hard to tell when Multiplayer is in the thread title but for sure you're new and ignorant. Also, posting a thread like this and leaving it is never a good idea - always keep tabs on it.

Now, on the Suggestion. A Main problem is that while bringer Multiplayer to DF might not be a flawed planned, the question is how it might be brought. DF is a complex game - Adventure Mode being a Roguelike and the Fortress Mode being a real-time simulator that you can pause whenever you want and will pause whenever you undertake most actions. To link up people would require you to solve the inherent problems with the turn based system of a Roguelike and the continual pausing of the Fortress Mode.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 08:31:34 pm »

I've had a somewhat skirting history with dwarf fortress, mainly reading up on how to play as much as I can.  Normally this habit goes on longer the more complicated the subject.  So only really had much exposure to the wikis for the game.  I do intend to slot away time when I can and do some cool shit with DF because it seems neat.

Anyway that's the background a bit to show that I'm not trying to troll.  In retrospect the thread was a silly idea, it was something I casually came up with while discussing the game with a friend.  I don't think it's all that flawed of a plan, as multiplayer with like-minded friends would be brilliant.  It's not like there's no thinking going behind the suggestion, I just wanted to throw the topic up to get a feel about how people think concerning it.

A little painful that people treat something like this as trolling now, times have changed.  I posted the thread and left it for awhile because I thought the boards here moved slowly.  This was also probably a poor judgement lol.

Don't feel bad.  It's really not your fault.  People are supposed to search for similar topics before posting, but if you're new to the forums, you can't really know that.

Certain topics (like multiplayer, 3D graphics, magic, and other) are received poorly here because they get suggested a lot.  People get tired of seeing the same suggestions.  Another aspect is some people view these suggestions as trying to make Dwarf Fortress too much like "mainstream crap" and feel they would ruin the game.  (I myself don't think mainstream games are crap. Many are great.  I'm just explaining that some people here don't like mainstream games.)

Your post was also fairly short for something that's quite complex to design.  You don't address issues like what happens when one person pauses the game.  This makes it seem like you didn't put enough thought into it for an idea of this complexity.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »

Maybe you should play the game before making suggestions? Its not that multi-player is a flawed plan, its that the game isn't set up in a manner to make it feasible. Yet that doesn't stop someone from casually coming up with it, thinking its a great plan, and throwing a thread on it up every few days or so.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »

HEY GUYS I BET THIS WOULD BE FUN PLAYING MULTIPLAYER LIKE STARCRAFT!!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 03:33:21 pm »

Precisely.

Also, in general, try not to abandon threads you start or post a lot in. If you say something that sounds like what a troll might say, or what we think a troll might say (we don't encounter them much, except the ones working for goblins of course, but they don't post here), and we don't hear from you, we consider that you might be a troll.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 05:41:53 am »

If you say something that sounds like what a troll might say, or what we think a troll might say (we don't encounter them much, except the ones working for goblins of course, but they don't post here), and we don't hear from you, we consider that you might be a troll.

Because someone new here would think suggesting multiplayer co-op sounds like trolling.  Try reading some youtube comments.  Typical trolling there is stuff like, "f$%& this band, they suk soo hard1!!".  We should be proud if even our trolls are more articulate than 90% of youtube comments.

HEY GUYS I BET THIS WOULD BE FUN PLAYING MULTIPLAYER LIKE STARCRAFT!!!

And this is why some people think we're smug and elitist.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 08:11:33 am »

We're not smug and elitist.  I'm quite proud of that, and anyone who disagrees can go elsewhere, because I'm not going to talk to them!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 01:14:58 pm »

If you say something that sounds like what a troll might say, or what we think a troll might say (we don't encounter them much, except the ones working for goblins of course, but they don't post here), and we don't hear from you, we consider that you might be a troll.

Because someone new here would think suggesting multiplayer co-op sounds like trolling.  Try reading some youtube comments.  Typical trolling there is stuff like, "f$%& this band, they suk soo hard1!!".  We should be proud if even our trolls are more articulate than 90% of youtube comments.

That's just the degeneration of the meaning of the word troll. Trolls used to be of a much higher quality, but now people use the word troll for any annoying internet user. Basically this could have been a troll post. (Ie, troll nows suggesting another multiplayer thread would annoy people, and therefore does it.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »

...10ebbor10 beat me to it. As with all groups, a few prominent ones make everyone think all of them are like that. Groups as examples: Politicians, lawyers, anythng with an amusing stereotype.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:00 am »

Yes, it could have been a troll who knew multiplayer gets suggested a lot.  My point is that someone new here would have no way of knowing their suggestion sounds trolly.  There's no notice telling new members to search, or that multiplayer is a frequent suggestion.

Beardedwander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 02:29:38 am »

No. I'm going to say it again just because its that important. No.

The only multiplayer functionality I see being beneficial would be some sort of map sharing where you could abandon or retire your fortress and then someone could embark on that world but this is something that is doable right now.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

Yes, it could have been a troll who knew multiplayer gets suggested a lot.  My point is that someone new here would have no way of knowing their suggestion sounds trolly.  There's no notice telling new members to search, or that multiplayer is a frequent suggestion.

At the top of the page...
BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION

Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
    Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.  However, please do not bump threads just to show support.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 07:14:37 pm »

At the top of the page...
BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION

Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
    Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.  However, please do not bump threads just to show support.

Oh wow. I somehow didn't notice that.  Don't mind me then.  Carry on.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »

Actually, should we ignore that? Even though I would expect new posters to the forum (especially new posters to any forums in general) to miss something like that, I would think it an issue if other players are missing that.

I mean, I know I saw that blurb of text before posting in this board, but at the same time I know I saw the thread titles for the Stickied threads long before I saw the blurb. In my case as well, I only saw it because I was confused as to where the guidelines for posting suggestions or posting anything in the board might be and actually specifically went looking for them somewhere, anywhere.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »

Actually, should we ignore that? Even though I would expect new posters to the forum (especially new posters to any forums in general) to miss something like that, I would think it an issue if other players are missing that.

I mean, I know I saw that blurb of text before posting in this board, but at the same time I know I saw the thread titles for the Stickied threads long before I saw the blurb. In my case as well, I only saw it because I was confused as to where the guidelines for posting suggestions or posting anything in the board might be and actually specifically went looking for them somewhere, anywhere.

Its in plain sight, centered in the screen when you click the link to the suggestion subforum. I don't think its too much to ask people to read stuff explaining what to do in the forum. If you don't, well, as Ron White says "You can't fix stupid." But don't expect those of us who do read instructions and follow them to be all sunshine, cupcakes, and smiles when the millionth thread for "OMG NEW IDEA!!1!11! #4301" comes along. Argue that it should be made more visible, say there should be a cookie that shows you've been on this board before, and if you haven't make it dim the forum and have a message box with it pop up, but not that we shouldn't expect people to read it and follow it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7