Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461133 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2580 on: February 04, 2016, 02:18:38 pm »

God, I'm gonna slave so hard.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: February 04, 2016, 07:57:46 pm »

Hmmmm Now Mongolia, which is a one province state with just 2 other 1 province allies felt confident enough to declare war on Ming.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2582 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:22 pm »

So the Dutch of Holland managed to invade the Dutch of Netherlands and in their bitter struggle finally take over un-Holland Netherlands to make all of the Netherlands Holland. I thought this would be the end and all of the Netherland's colonies would become independent Dutch Republics, but then this happened and the Netherlands just moved their capital to the Amazon interior. The Netherlands will have the last laugh in a hundred years...
Not that crazy, actually. Sure, it had no eviction from Europe, but nothing is perfect.
Huh, how about that. Still no Portugal relocation to Brazil though :(

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2583 on: February 09, 2016, 01:10:56 am »

I've been doing a custom nation run. Began with a few provinces in Brittany, Normandy, and southern England.

Early game was pretty straightforward. Buddy up Austria and Castile, then beat on France/Burgundy and take some of those delicious Dutch provinces.
Unfortunately the Burgundian Succession fired pretty much straight away and Austria took Holland etc. meaning I actually had to build a merchant fleet to stay dominant in the English Channel. I considered going to war then and there, but Austria was allied to PLC, Castile, and an ascendant Lubeck, so I held off.
For the next few decades we took turns warring France and divvying up provinces. Not ideal, seeing as they got most of the good ones.
Around this time the Ottomans were blobbing pretty crazily, and although they've stayed irrelevant for most of the game, they did grow too big for Poland to keep them rivalled. Poland chose Austria as their new rival, which made a huge change to the balance of power. I immediately dropped my alliance with Austria (I'd been letting it slip for a while - trust was down and they were constantly annoyed by me claiming their French provinces) and allied Poland and Bohemia.
Things were kinda tense for a while - I was sinking resources into placating Castile because if they broke their alliance with me, Austria would probably DOW to take my French provinces. Poland wasn't in any shape to help me as they were too busy getting smacked about by Muscovy, and Bohemia was backwards irrelevant shitcountry.
Finally, I got myself ahead in military tech and finished Quality ideas, Poland got enough Revanchism from Muscovite brutalisation to get themselves into a reasonable state, and Castile was bogged down with wars in their African colonies. I declared war on Austria.
The war was weird. Shit-hemia signed a separate peace almost immediately, only to attack again a few years later for the League wars (which they lost).
I managed to endure the larger army of the Austrian alliance by squatting in mountain forts and occasionally making "squee" sounds at my 123% discipline (custom nation ideas op pls nerf). The fact that most of the armies were having their way with Poland lands instead of mine also helped.
Eventually I got a favourable peace deal, mostly thanks to Ottomans joining the Protestant league, even though they got their butts kicked. I demanded a couple of the crappier Low Countries and war reps. It changed basically nothing, other than costing hundreds of thousands of soldiers and ducats.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 09, 2016, 02:02:55 pm »

I've been doing a custom nation run. Began with a few provinces in Brittany, Normandy, and southern England.

Early game was pretty straightforward. Buddy up Austria and Castile, then beat on France/Burgundy and take some of those delicious Dutch provinces.
Unfortunately the Burgundian Succession fired pretty much straight away and Austria took Holland etc. meaning I actually had to build a merchant fleet to stay dominant in the English Channel. I considered going to war then and there, but Austria was allied to PLC, Castile, and an ascendant Lubeck, so I held off.
For the next few decades we took turns warring France and divvying up provinces. Not ideal, seeing as they got most of the good ones.
Around this time the Ottomans were blobbing pretty crazily, and although they've stayed irrelevant for most of the game, they did grow too big for Poland to keep them rivalled. Poland chose Austria as their new rival, which made a huge change to the balance of power. I immediately dropped my alliance with Austria (I'd been letting it slip for a while - trust was down and they were constantly annoyed by me claiming their French provinces) and allied Poland and Bohemia.
Things were kinda tense for a while - I was sinking resources into placating Castile because if they broke their alliance with me, Austria would probably DOW to take my French provinces. Poland wasn't in any shape to help me as they were too busy getting smacked about by Muscovy, and Bohemia was backwards irrelevant shitcountry.
Finally, I got myself ahead in military tech and finished Quality ideas, Poland got enough Revanchism from Muscovite brutalisation to get themselves into a reasonable state, and Castile was bogged down with wars in their African colonies. I declared war on Austria.
The war was weird. Shit-hemia signed a separate peace almost immediately, only to attack again a few years later for the League wars (which they lost).
I managed to endure the larger army of the Austrian alliance by squatting in mountain forts and occasionally making "squee" sounds at my 123% discipline (custom nation ideas op pls nerf). The fact that most of the armies were having their way with Poland lands instead of mine also helped.
Eventually I got a favourable peace deal, mostly thanks to Ottomans joining the Protestant league, even though they got their butts kicked. I demanded a couple of the crappier Low Countries and war reps. It changed basically nothing, other than costing hundreds of thousands of soldiers and ducats.

Congratulations, you just fought World War One!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Took a few tries, but I finally pulled this off. Time to give Europe a new Perm :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2586 on: February 16, 2016, 04:44:02 pm »

So I'm playing England as a Cromwellian American conquest run (basically take over all the Americas and try to buddy up with the Dutch to help them take over everything else) when I joined the Protestant League out of shits and giggles, as I noticed the Protestant League was so underpowered they were pretty much doomed to failure unless I joined (being led by an Orthodox greek OPM versus Austria, the Papacy, Serbia, all Knight orders, Poland, Lithuania, Muscovy, the Hansa, most of the German petty states, France, Naples, Tuscany and Denmark to name the big guys. On the protestant side was Saxony, Sweden, Scotland, Norway, the Kazan horde and the Timurid horde. Eh... Ok then.

So I joined the league and after warring with the Spanish over the Caribbean some more I left the league, then rejoined when I found out Spain had entered the protestant league. Whilst gauging the strength of the leagues I accidentally declared war on the Austrians and started the world war, and I couldn't have been luckier. Well, I was hoping the Ottomans would've joined the league but they were stuck with the Mamluks and Timurids. I was lucky because the French had declared war on Austria... On the Papacy's behalf! The French began cleaning up the Austrian stacks and the English helped them win some early battles, but after time I noticed disparagingly that all the soldiers of the new world were not going to be of much help in the old world. I knocked Denmark out of the war but then the grand slavic army from Poland to Muscovy and everything Lithuanian in between just utterly swamped Norway and Sweden, and right as I pushed back the Austrian ubermensch and was about to take Vienna the slavs attacked.
Several times I lost everything, with my troops slaughtered by the Russians when I nearly took Vilna and knocked Lithuania out of the war, slaughtered by the SlavoAustrians when I nearly took Vienna, slaughtered by the Venetians when their fleet surprised my heavies (my navy was used to ruling the open seas... The Mediterranean belonged to Venetian galleys), eventually it got to the point where English gold and Spanish troops were the only thing keeping the Protestant league from descending into total collapse.
With Venetians destroying my transport fleet and the Anglo-Spaniard army having routed the pan-Slavic army, the English pursued them to inflict a 40,000 man dent in the coalition of 400,000 soldiers. Not to be balked at, as this was a global war. The entire army would've been crushed was it not for the action of one particularly resilient unit of Hussars that somehow defied my entire army for two weeks before being killed to the last man. I lost 100 troops, they lost 500 - they should have lost all 40,000! Those Hussars bought enough time for the German-Italian forces to arrive and Venetian galleys to destroy my transport fleet. I had to start from square one again.

Towards the 20th year of the war the Royal Navy had managed to gain access to the ports of Achaea, the Greek Orthodox OPM that started it all. From this port the Navy began completely blockading Lithuania, Aragon, Naples and Austria - knocking them out one by one with Sicily becoming the de facto English mercenary training camp. From Calabria and Salento and the hills beyond the English troops waited and as the Spanish had been knocked out of the war (not before fighting a brutal series of battles in France funded by English gold whilst English troops killed all the troops sieging Spain herself), the English troops in Naples were the last thing in all the world stopping Austria from forcing Catholic victory. Amusingly Scotland was the last ally in the league to leave the war, leaving just 1 year before the end. The Catholic league sent everything, but by then were so exhausted that all the German princes grew tired of having their troops wasted on the English troops who had avoided having their homelands affected by blockade or siege. Most amusingly I managed to reach peace with the Polish Lithuanian Muscovite forces right before they reached Calabria, having marched all the way south they saw my 45,000 well-supplied men and just said 'fuck it, let's go home.' With just one correct invasion (and a total blockade with 20 years of warfare) the English defeated an army ten times its size, gave the Papacy control of much of Naples' lands (as a thank you for taking France out of the war) and then lay siege to Austria herself. I was finally about to take Vienna after 20 years of war and secure protestant victory, to give Saxony a little help.

Then the Dutch declared independence and brought me into war with France and her friends. 20 years of warfare was undone in one week. I signed the peace of Westphalia.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

At least Achaea is my friend now

*EDIT
Austria was fighting all of these countries at the same time and managed to stalemate them. Dayum.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:46:37 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 23, 2016, 03:42:07 am »

So I'm getting bored of my Ethipia game (Basically the next 100 years are going to be slowly gaining power waiting for an occasion to strike the Ottomans down...) and I want to start something new, maybe a mod. I'm hearing good things about Extended Timeline, any suggestions of challenge/country to play?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2588 on: February 23, 2016, 11:16:48 am »

So I'm getting bored of my Ethipia game (Basically the next 100 years are going to be slowly gaining power waiting for an occasion to strike the Ottomans down...) and I want to start something new, maybe a mod. I'm hearing good things about Extended Timeline, any suggestions of challenge/country to play?
Modern day conquest as one of the OPMs

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 23, 2016, 11:21:24 am »

Is the EU a thing in extended timeline? Can I invade everything from Brussels (Especially the UK?) :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2590 on: February 23, 2016, 12:33:43 pm »

Is the EU a thing in extended timeline? Can I invade everything from Brussels (Especially the UK?) :p
Not yet, but I really want to see something like it (maybe use the HRE mechanics to simulate new countries in Europe being added, a single country dominating it with leadership and a model for centralization and opposition?)
Sounds like a well gud idea actually!

*EDIT
I suppose there would be that issue of allowing the Emperor to be selected from Republics, so you might have to change all the govs of Europe to Constitutional Monarchies for it to work
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:36:25 pm by Loud Whispers »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 23, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »

Not yet, but I really want to see something like it (maybe use the HRE mechanics to simulate new countries in Europe being added, a single country dominating it with leadership and a model for centralization and opposition?)
Sounds like a well gud idea actually!

*EDIT
I suppose there would be that issue of allowing the Emperor to be selected from Republics, so you might have to change all the govs of Europe to Constitutional Monarchies for it to work
I'm pretty sure the extended timeline does make the EU using the HRE mechanics.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2592 on: February 23, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: February 25, 2016, 04:38:17 am »

New DD is out introducing the new states and territories systems to replace the previous overseas province one and finally explaining the new bleeding coin purse icon, which, yup, is corruption.

The territory/state thing seems really confusing to me. Perhaps because I haven't really played a big campaign ever since the region overhaul so I'm not sure how big regions actually are.
Corruption seems to have some positive things(mercantilism is finally connected to other game mechanics!), but I fear it will make small RotW starts even more strapped for cash and mana if it forces you to stay up-to-date in admin and diplo tech.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2594 on: February 25, 2016, 04:52:31 am »

New DD is out introducing the new states and territories systems to replace the previous overseas province one and finally explaining the new bleeding coin purse icon, which, yup, is corruption.
Oh yes. I hate the overseas territories thing; it's awesome to see it updated.

The territory/state thing seems really confusing to me. Perhaps because I haven't really played a big campaign ever since the region overhaul so I'm not sure how big regions actually are.
Regions are roughly the same size as they used to be. France, Iberia, Germany, Scandinavia, etc., but waaaaaaaaay more intuitive than the old system. Mostly because they don't overlap and can be displayed cleanly on the map.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 216