Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461146 times)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2013, 03:30:20 am »

Yeah, I definitely need to look for some more rules/mechanics to encourage warfare.

Maybe disallow player alliances and set up a proper team system rather than standard alliance blocs:
Blocs are formed by vassalization, which is permanent, but nobody is allowed to agree to peaceful vassalizing, and losing x amount of wars/war percentage means the losing side has to accept vassalization. Then have a hall of fame type thing and restart play every few months, with leaders and players in the winning bloc both recorded.

That would encourage more CBs being gathered so that crucial wars can be intervened in, on whichever side, and also give defeated players something to work towards.

There would likely be issues with balancing, but having a malus to starting nation for previous winners might sort that out.

Possibly allow the leader of the winners to assign rankings to their followers in the hall of fame, too, so that the difference between a player who really helps out and one that just tags along is actually recorded.

Maybe have a 1 or 2 session period where player vassalization is not allowed, to let people grow a bit or something - though that could be really dangerous, like what happened in the last EU3 game with england.

Just some thoughts anyway

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2013, 04:51:39 am »

...but nobody is allowed to agree to peaceful vassalizing, and losing x amount of wars/war percentage means the losing side has to accept vassalization...
You'll also want to make sure nobody intentionally loses wars if you're going to forbid peacevassal, which is difficult to do unless you can see what is happening every war and are somehow able to distinguish intentional bad moves from just poor gamers.

Maybe have a 1 or 2 session period where player vassalization is not allowed, to let people grow a bit or something - though that could be really dangerous, like what happened in the last EU3 game with england.
Perhaps you could base it on strength. Larger nations get no leeway, while tiny nations have much more spare time if you think that it might effect them or something.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:13 am »

Yeah. I'd like to rely on an honour system for that, but I'd like to have something a bit safer. I'd hope having the leader of the bloc recorded separately from followers would give incentive for people to lead rather than follow if possible.

And for sure, maybe no sessions of peace for the major nations, then one for the minors, and two for the rest. (as defined by pdox)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2013, 05:18:19 am »

Sorry for double post, wanted to bump

EU4 game signups open!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2013, 09:07:34 am »

Nice to hear it all official-like, though the converter's existence was leaked a while ago. I hope this marks a return to Paradox-made converters, hopefully of good quality.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »

Pre-order the game and you will get an extra copy of Crusader Kings II AND the CKII -> EU4 Save Game Converter :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interesting to note that you can take a way-before 1444 scenario and convert it evidently. As that screenshot couldn't possibly stand up to 30 years of CK2 gameplay.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2013, 02:35:36 pm »

The only question is what to do with all the CK2 copies considering they just had a massive sale not long ago..
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

trade them or just give away that's what I plan on doing.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2013, 03:24:15 pm »

Oh god I want the ability to tie ALL of my Paradox games together. Take CKII to EUIV to Hearts of Iron III to ... Space Citizen? Alright, so they obviously need to do a futuristic grand strategy next. The Paradox version of GalCivII.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »

Oh god I want the ability to tie ALL of my Paradox games together. Take CKII to EUIV to Victoria 2 to Hearts of Iron III to ... Space Citizen? Alright, so they obviously need to do a futuristic grand strategy next. The Paradox version of GalCivII.

A Paradox version of GalCivII wouldn't be a good ending point for the Grand Campaign, since it'll take place in the wide galaxy, where Earth is just one planet among millions and humans are just one species to choose from. What it'd really need is something along the lines of Alpha Centauri taking place on Earth. Futuristic, yet rooted enough in reality to be plausible and believable. You'd also need a good set of scenario writers, so that the world can change and adapt in response to the player and AIs. If they wanted to throw in a cyberpunk feel they could add in quasi-nation corporations, data nodes instead of trade centers, all that fun stuff. Could be good, I think.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2013, 05:06:37 pm »

Oh god I want the ability to tie ALL of my Paradox games together. Take CKII to EUIV to Hearts of Iron III to ... Space Citizen? Alright, so they obviously need to do a futuristic grand strategy next. The Paradox version of GalCivII.
You could already do this and it used to be built in. CK1>EU2>Vicky1>HoI2. I'm glad they're finally bringing it back, but it's hardly a new feature considering that... they're bringing it back.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

When was the last time they had it?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »

When was the last time they had it?

CK1>EU2>Vicky1>HoI2.

Rakonas literally just said it. I read a Jerusalem AAR, it's actually probably pretty famous, that went through all of these games (although I thought it went through EU3 and not EU2, so might have been an unofficial converter).

I think that they might make Vic3 and HoI4 for the official converters. My god, if they did, Paradox, take all of my money.

Also, if anyone doesn't own the world by the end of the HoI game, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying a HoI game alone (in which case you're just doing Axis or Commintern wrong), but if you start in a CK game and the world isn't yours after going through that many games in which it's possible to own the world already... like it's possible in just one EU game... yeah.

Also, if they did a Space grand strategy, I'd figure that it'd be solar system instead of something more like GalCiv. Solar system would fit better and make more sense for the appropriate scale, where humanity would be fighting itself across the different planets, they'd have their own terrain penalties on top of planet penalties, etc. At least, it makes more sense to me. Perhaps after that it'd be appropriate for a GalCiv game for humanity vs. other dudes. Though really any of this isn't appropriate because all of the grand strategy stuff is historical and the future is... not.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »

Has anyone else been watching Quill18 EU4 LP?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 216