Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sober Fort  (Read 3624 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sober Fort
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 03:25:35 am »

Your population will get bigger; you aren't going to be able to get enough water from the pools for long. You'd better dig for the caverns now before your workers start to slow down too much.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 07:35:51 am »

nice to hear you're doing well lemur. Hope those cavern layers have water when you crack them open, or at least an underground river.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 09:02:02 am »

Buckets drain water, dwarves don't. So long as you don't make a well and avoid making buckets, that 6/7 tile of water will last indefinitely. Avoid injuries -- while the post-40d health system will see dwarves up and about even with multiple shattered limbs, you won't have any water for wound cleaning.

I'm not sure if a lack of water will hold up an injured dwarf's treatment, or whether they'll do the rest of the treatment and make cancellation messages until the splints are in place. I've always had water available.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 10:39:14 am »

There are chief medical dwarves that actually go and fetch water for patients now? :P

Seriously though, I've taken to channeling a pit and designating it as a pond in my hospitals recently, since he doesn't seem to like drawing water from the well I put five goddamn tiles away.
I've not lost a dwarf to infection yet, but at this rate it's just a matter of time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 11:38:23 am »

There are chief medical dwarves that actually go and fetch water for patients now? :P
They certainly rarely give patients water to drink... But yeah cleaning wounds they will :)
(Whether they actually want to clean the wound on the other hand is something else entirely...)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 01:33:45 pm »

I just edit out Alcohol dependent, give alcohol a strong negative thought (which is surprisingly hard to do, and I'm not quite finished) and call it "Mormon Fort"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »

Seriously though, I've taken to channeling a pit and designating it as a pond in my hospitals recently, since he doesn't seem to like drawing water from the well I put five goddamn tiles away.
I've not lost a dwarf to infection yet, but at this rate it's just a matter of time.
Empty it out and make the pit two levels deep. Water drawn from the tile with just water in it will be pure water, whereas the water from a channel bodged into the ground will be muddy.

Are there any other water sources nearby that you've designated as water source zones, or is he just not bothering with the cleaning? You shouldn't have to overlap water source zone and well, but doing that provides an extra layer of 'water comes from here, stupid'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

Maybe you should allow the dwarves 1 drink a year on New Years or something? It would still have the challenge of getting water in the heat, but it would reduce some of the pointless tedium.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:32 pm »

Empty it out and make the pit two levels deep. Water drawn from the tile with just water in it will be pure water, whereas the water from a channel bodged into the ground will be muddy.

Are there any other water sources nearby that you've designated as water source zones, or is he just not bothering with the cleaning? You shouldn't have to overlap water source zone and well, but doing that provides an extra layer of 'water comes from here, stupid'.
Yeah, I connected it to the same cistern as the well-- the well is designated as a water source as well but he never seems to use it, but he freely uses the open hole in the floor. I just know some bloody legless dwarf is going to fall in and drown to death, literally since it's in the middle of the hospital.

Oh wait, you can still get use through a floor grate, right? :o
HeavenlyFacepalm.tiff

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 02:12:37 pm »

Well that's strange (no pun intended...). Are any of the well's component parts forbidden?

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 02:26:37 pm »

Pft-- Bloody water pressure. Never mind, just flooded the hospital.
Well, at least there's enough water for everyone now. ::)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 06:07:22 pm »

I'd dig to those caverns pronto. You can make a cistern near hear of your fort and have runners dump water in it. Then I'd construct a windmill farm to draw the water up automatically via a pump stack.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 01:47:13 am »

Buckets drain water, dwarves don't. So long as you don't make a well and avoid making buckets, that 6/7 tile of water will last indefinitely.
Wait, WHAT? ???

This changes everything!  I had been under the impression that a dwarf would drink a full unit of water without a well.

I must test this unlimited water, although I feel it may be a little bit cheaty given the FUN constraints I placed myself under.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 04:11:02 am »

Due to a shortage of rainwater, I was forced to have my dwarves drink without the benefit of wells.

Even so, Dwarves move VERY slowly without the benefit of alcohol, and I was forced to bump the FPS up to 200 in order to not to get bored sitting around waiting for stuff to happen.

I am now in the middle of a tantrum spiral when a particularly beloved dwarf was fatally injured by a magma crab.  I checked his relationships, and it turned out he was a BLOOD RELATIVE of like 30 people, part of a very big family.  I have had no marriages or births (child caps) so I guess this must mean migrants come in families.

Needless to say, I've lost half of my population and most of the remainder has gone insane.  My Militia captain went berserk and killed 5 dwarves before I knew what was going on.  Fortunately I still HAD some semblance of a military at that point.  Not any more.

My Thoughts:

-If you want to live on rainwater (drunk from wells), don't embark in a hot climate.  You're going to need a lot of water.  If my math is right, 100 dwarves drinking 8 times a year means 800 units of water, approximately the volume of a 1-level 11x11 cistern.

-Don't delay on happiness-making improvements!  It's tempting to cut back on "luxuries" given how slow everything is going, but those are the only things standing between you and a riot.

-In a Sober Fort, farming is even LESS essential than it is in a normal one.  My hunters fed the whole fort.  Granted, it was with elephants and rhinocerous, but still, most of the crops you grow in DF are for making booze.  I made do with a small pigtail farm for my cloth industry.

-Sober dwarves are slow dwarves.  Ever been annoyed that something was taking forever to complete?  In a Sober Fortress, that's everything.

Conclusion: Sober Fort = Hard Mode.
If you're looking to increase the difficulty level by lowering the Tantrum Spiral Threshold, and lowering Productivity in general, then the Sober Fort challenge will do just that.  Have lots of FUN with a fort full of melancholy lazy-asses working at half-speed.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 05:31:46 am »

I actually almost never brew alcohol. My dwarves drink out of wells constantly. Slows things down, but it makes life easier when I don't really have to worry about alcohol anymore. Basically, all my forts are sober forts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3