Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor as clothing as far as happiness goes?  (Read 1466 times)

chairo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor as clothing as far as happiness goes?
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »

Hi, silly question, but does armor count as clothing as far as a Dwarves happiness goes?

Example: Urist is sad because he does not have shoes on. Will him wearing Bronze High Boots count as shoes as far as his mood goes? Likewise, will Urist no long feel sad about being "uncovered" if he's wearing a Bronze Breastplate? Or does he need to wear a shirt underneath his breastplate? I ask because one of my military squads is perfectly fine with being naked under their armor, but one squad seems to be grumpy about it.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Armor as clothing as far as happiness goes?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:09:56 pm »

Do they each have different armor settings? I would venture a guess that only certain armor combinations count as clothing.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

chairo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:26 pm »

All (four) of my squads have the exact same armor settings (Bronze high boots, greaves, gauntlets, helms, breastplates, shields, and an axe/crossbow depending on squad).

Maybe they were just upset that I didn't have enough armor to count as clothing? I checked the squads and a few were missing shoes, or greaves, etc, so I've made some to see if that will remedy the problem.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:23:27 pm »

I've read in another thread that the minimum covering is feet, legs and top so i put socks, trousers and a cloak on my marksdwarves and i've had no problems (until they wear away to dust of course). No layering problems either.

Strange that dwarves will tantrum if people see thier feet though. Must be the lack of nail clippers.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:24:08 pm »

Hi, silly question, but does armor count as clothing as far as a Dwarves happiness goes?

Only in 0.34.11, according to the change list.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »

Check your thoughts screen for the grumpy squad, and also for any clothing items that could be starting to wear heavily.

Here's the equipment list for the last dwarf on the military list in my fortress:

Leather high boot x2
Leather helm
Leather leggings
Leather armour
XXLeather cloakXX
XLeather hoodX
Waterskin
Bone gauntlet x2
Leather dress x0

The uniform does contain a dress, but I seem to be be out of new ones. Anyway, her thoughts screen shows her as quite content (specifically 115), with her only bad thoughts being 'nauseated by the sun lately' and 'upset to be wearing tattered clothing lately'. The dwarf at the top of the list is also content (specifically 92), his three clothing items are at xwear levelx, and his only bad thought is 'nauseated by the sun lately'.

I could dispense with the clothing items entirely since the leggings-only coverage of the lower body shows that 'proper' armour does cover nudity right now, but I like having them around for an extra layer of padding. The dwarves have had this uniform for at least the last two years.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:31:57 am »

Thoughts don't disappear immediately, so even if they have clothing/armor on now, at one point they might not have and gotten the negative thought then.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.