Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Glass Industry  (Read 1752 times)

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glass Industry
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »

I am a bit confused from the wiki. It sounded like dwarves would automatically gather sand before producing a glass object but my dwarves never seem to. They just complain about not being able to find sand. Are they suppose to get sand before a project or do I have to assign a factory to collect sand the whole time?

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Industry
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:32 pm »

need to designate a sand collection zone, I think-- and stick a sand stockpile next to your glass furnace.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:35 pm »

And a tip: sand can only be collected from sand walls. Floors won't work.

Or maybe it's the other way around! In any case, make a zone that encompasses both.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »

need to designate a sand collection zone, I think-- and stick a sand stockpile next to your glass furnace.
I did and glass is in squares around the zone.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:40:39 pm »

Wiki looks relatively clear to me. Which part's confusing you?

In any case, yes, you have to manually order sand to be collected; designating an area just lets them know where to gather from. It's often helpful to have one or more separate glass furnaces with sand collection on repeat for this purpose.

Or maybe it's the other way around! In any case, make a zone that encompasses both.
Other way round, at least last I checked. >_>
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:41:41 pm »

Use {i} to designate a "gather sand" (or clay) spot.  You will need an available bag to carry the sand in for this to actually happen.  From a glass furnace (don't remember the actual workshop name at the moment, sorry) set a "Gather sand" job (preferably on repeat if you don't need the bags for something else).  Assuming you have the requisite fuel, you should have no problems making glass items at the glass furnace at that point.

Same basic principle for clay. 

On a side note, if you designate your sand/clay gathering spot as your sand/clay stockpile spot as well you will have auto-quantum stockpiling of the resulting sandbags/clay boulders.  I personally recommend having the workshop that uses the items close by because of this, although minecarts should allow for moving and re-quantum-stockpiling the results at the workshop location if its farther away (e.g., a magma furnace that isn't near the surface/sand/clay source).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »

Frankenfran? oh Irony, you're awesome.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:46:15 pm »

=D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24:37 pm »

Wiki looks relatively clear to me. Which part's confusing you?

In any case, yes, you have to manually order sand to be collected; designating an area just lets them know where to gather from. It's often helpful to have one or more separate glass furnaces with sand collection on repeat for this purpose.

Other way round, at least last I checked. >_>
Ok thanks. I was reading around and somewhere it said that if you schedule items to be built with help of manager then they will collect sand before building.

Now how to keep a certain workshop from recieving orders that my manager sends.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:48 pm »

Ok thanks. I was reading around and somewhere it said that if you schedule items to be built with help of manager then they will collect sand before building.

Probably outdated information, might want to update the wiki then.

As for workshop prohibition.. there isn't any simple way of doing that. The easiest workaround is to queue 10 random orders in the workshop you don't want to be used and then suspending all of them.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:33:19 pm »

Probably outdated information, might want to update the wiki then.

As for workshop prohibition.. there isn't any simple way of doing that. The easiest workaround is to queue 10 random orders in the workshop you don't want to be used and then suspending all of them.
I see.... Im going to have to build some more workshops.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »

For glass, have the one they aren't supposed to use be the one with 10 repeating "gather sand" jobs. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:37 am »

And if you ever run out of bags, stuff 10 suspended 'collect sand' jobs into that workshop

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:01 am »

At some point, there almost certainly will be a workshop configuration item of "accept(/reject) Manager-spawned jobs for <such'n'such>", like they already have for allowing only certain dwarves to work in them, and the newest inter-stockpile/workshop material acceptance features.

Or so I'd think.  It's been a long-time suggestion/request, and with the recent additions I can see this following on, at such time as there's good reason for Toady to get stuck into it.  But obviously doesn't help you in your current situation.  "Blocking" workshops with other useful (or not-useful-but-suspended) jobs is the solution, as already suggested.

You could also do it without using the Manager, at all[1], and just micromanage instead (especially as it gives you better job-order control[2]).  But that isn't totally in line with what you want to do, and has problems of its own when trying to discover which workshops got which jobs cancelled and need them reinstating, sometimes...

[1] Athough it is useful for queuing up more 'job items' than you have "appropriate workshops*10" slots to take (including pre-ordering items when you've not yet got the workshops at all), handily (/spammily) re-adds jobs that got cancelled for some reason and gives you a nice "you've now got your ten steel helmets!" alerts.  The latter ("...alert me when this job has happened") could be a useful toggleable quality for each individual workshop job-designation.  Or a job item in its own right (Messaging "...<such'n'such> workshop wishes to gain your attention, sir!"/whatever).

[2] Except in jewellery workshops where a different priority process kicks in/

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 05:42:52 am »

The jeweler's workshop really could use some revamp. That sort of micromanaging is damn painful.

But, regarding the current glassmaker problem. Couldn't you just build a new workshop if you need something done and the other workshops are busy with manager orders? You can even reserve a workshop for a certain dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2