Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage traps  (Read 1343 times)

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage traps
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »

Is there a quick and easy way to kill creatures in the cage trap? I want to keep the cage afterwards for reuse.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage traps
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Mass_pitting

Found here. Just dump them down a really long pit with that method. They hit the ground and die. 20 z levels is enough for the lightest of creatures.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »

You should not be satisfied with a simple drop. Lucky creatures might survive it. Drowning or kill it with fire magma bath should do the trick.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:55:12 pm »

Drop them twenty z levels into a pit lined with upright spear traps, filled with toxic extract. I have had no survivors yet.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »

Yep, mass pitting is the way. If you don't have a deep enough pit yet you can just build a cage and assign all the prisoners and animals into it until you have a way to get rid of them. That should free up some cages while you dig a pit (or a atomsmasher)
Just a warning though, you can't pit zombified dwarves so you have to get rid of them by building and deconstructing their cages. (and ofcourse killing them.)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »

You should not be satisfied with a simple drop. Lucky creatures might survive it. Drowning or kill it with fire magma bath should do the trick.

I personally employ a 40 z level drop. Not even crundles or fluffy wamblers survive that in testing.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:23:03 pm »

Pit -> 1 level drop -> 20 x 10 serrated disc traps -> drawbridge -> caverns (or outside world).

Drop hostiles, open drawbridge so that they path out, after they're dead close drawbridge, let the dorfs collect the Goblinite, rinse and repeat. Works like a charm in my current fort.

For creatures where I dont feel safe pitting them (like those nasty war cave dragons my dorfs bring) I have a pair of bridged in rooms with a trapped FB. I build the cages in the currently free room connected to a lever, close the bridges, open the room connection, open the cages. As soon as the FB goes to the "other" room to kill them, I close the connecting bridge and start collecting FB silk and loot from the hostiles of the previous round.

I can use a LOT of body parts as my medical wards (training hospital personal) use those, plus I butcher and tan sentient creatures. Nothing like dressing all your militia in *goblin leather armor* to get your point across :) - otherwise different traps might be better as they dont "produce so many parts".

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »

Coz, wait what? You can train hospital staff on bodyparts? Is that a mod or did I miss something in vanilla?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 07:31:29 am »

Coz, wait what? You can train hospital staff on bodyparts? Is that a mod or did I miss something in vanilla?

Dwarfen Higher Learning (mini)-mod:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60853.0

Quickly became essential for me :-)