Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your most useless job  (Read 11819 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Your most useless job
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:38 am »

Basically, what's the job that you never use in your fortress, and always do a little facepalm when you see a migrant coming in on the first wave with it?

For me, it's beekeeping. I'm not too focused on meal production or high-value ingredients or making mead so I never bother with it. Even worse is wax working...

I used to think threshers and millers were useless until I started making syrup and extracts. So I guess it's just a matter of getting used to industries. That being said, I'm going to try actually making a soap industry in my current fortress, instead of letting everyone wallow in rotten plump helmets and beard grease.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most useless job
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:23 am »

Basically, what's the job that you never use in your fortress, and always do a little facepalm when you see a migrant coming in on the first wave with it?

For me, it's beekeeping. I'm not too focused on meal production or high-value ingredients or making mead so I never bother with it. Even worse is wax working...

I used to think threshers and millers were useless until I started making syrup and extracts. So I guess it's just a matter of getting used to industries. That being said, I'm going to try actually making a soap industry in my current fortress, instead of letting everyone wallow in rotten plump helmets and beard grease.

Potash making. I dump him in the moat before he gets any friends.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:26:08 am »

Potash making.
Potash makers are the true rulers of my forts. Truly there has never been a more admirable Dwarf, than a potash maker.

As for most useless, I'd go for glass makers or clay workers. Got 0 of those. Got 1 beekeeper.

Bees > Non-existent resources

Still I don't really facepalm whenever I see a migrant with no adversely useful skills, I just turn farming and masonry on, and that's it. Suddenly useful Dorf.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:26:48 am »

Nobles.

on a more serious note:
lots of jobs, i just reallocate them different jobs, usually in making walls (architecture), i almost always have some building work needing to be done. If not i usually need em to haul rock somewhere closer to my active architects so they can do their jobs faster.

Have yet to use all sorts of stuff, bees i agree seem like to much hassle for what you get.
Spinners, Animal dissector, excessive butchers (2 is the max i could currently concieve of needing, one is usually enough), cheese maker (don't ever seem to produce enough milk), dyer, lye maker, milker (better off in farming)

Had a "Great Cheese Maker" join my fortress, so i gave him the name "lord of cheese" and stuck him in a room somewhere for lolz. I don't believe he's made any cheese yet though.

I like clearly military dwarves the most, as they are easiest to deal with, as my military always loves additions.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:29 am »

Woodcrafter

Just think about it for a second and you'll figure out why.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:43:28 am »

Cheesemaker.  Even potash can be used for glazing.  I am definately not too fond of any farming or plant profession, and If I can hunt or fish, I would rather do so.  But booze cannot be so easily got...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:49:10 am »

I'm not quite sure why people seem to hate certain dwarves because of their jobs myself. I have a problem in all of my forts of not having enough bodies to do all the jobs: generally hauling.

The biggest problem I have is how big the waves are, and organizing all the short buggers each time is daunting even with Therapist.

You can never have enough stone haulers, miners, new squad of militia. The primary downside of having tons of guys (food/booze) isn't exactly a problem. One legendary cook and brewer each can keep alive at least 100 something Dwarves if that's all they do.

My current fort has 6 strand extractors starting at zero skill, and I plan on 6 more. Most other forts need a good 10 full-time smelters (I don't plan on as many due to having only tetra, gold, and candy).

TLDR: just make them into a useful job (haulers are super useful) instead of killing them. Killing them generates MORE jobs (bury, casket, slab, etc).

On topic: Most useless job is perhaps wax working as I've never even attempted that, and have done most all the other jobs...I just make them a hauler, miner (then militia) or whatnot.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:50:27 am »

Cheesemaker.  Even potash can be used for glazing.  I am definately not too fond of any farming or plant profession, and If I can hunt or fish, I would rather do so.  But booze cannot be so easily got...

I never even bother making ash. My farms put out enough that even with my massive fort I can hold the walls till I die of old age when the gobbos, my archnemeses, show up.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »

There are no useless jobs.

There are only haulers and potential military recruits.

And there never enough haulers or military recruits in any fortress.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 12:17:58 pm »

There are no useless jobs.

There are only haulers and potential military recruits.

And there never enough haulers or military recruits in any fortress.

haha, so true!
Still, some of them seem a bit more useful.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »

Hmmm.... I NEVER use shearing, clay, cheesemaking, or fishing (after a year or so).  So those.  I get all my cloth from tame GCSes, use metal/glass/etc for everything you can make out of clay, have no patience for milk animals PLUS I can just buy 100s of cheeses from humans/elves, and fishing just puts way too many dwarves running about outside waiting to get ambushed.  So they all go into the military or become haulers/masons.  I'm also getting rid of all my hunters for the same reason as my fisherdwarves, and because I've got a legendary butcher/tanner combo going and plenty of breeding meat animals.  They go straight into marksdwarf squads. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:45 pm »

I have to say, "Waxworker" is not high on my list of Legendary priorities.

Recruit or Stoneworker you go.

Miller, Shearer, Glazer  ( why isnt glassmaking and glazing just bunched into 1 ? )

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:28 pm »

Animal caretaking.

Unimplemented skill that migrants still come with. Completely without use other than bragging rights.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:28 pm »

Alchemy!

Out of the real jobs, animal/fish dissection. I think I've literally never dissected an animal in df, and I don't think I've been missing out on much.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:32:55 pm »

on a more serious note:
lots of jobs, i just reallocate them different jobs, usually in making walls (architecture), i almost always have some building work needing to be done. If not i usually need em to haul rock somewhere closer to my active architects so they can do their jobs faster.

Are architects also able to build walls? I thought that only dwarves being labor-related with the wall materials were able to build them, i. e. masons for stone floors, carpenters with wooden planks, smiths with bars, etc.

However, as I've read (and implied in the thread title) an useless skill is truly relative to the playing style of each overseer. I have many in common with those that have been said, such as beekeepers, wax workers and potash makers. I once reviled threshers, glassmakers, soap makers, pump operators and didn't even bother to have more than 1 architect, but as I've learned the ways more and more of those appear in my forts.

Military draft is the most succesful way of dwarven rehabilitation.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4