Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Marksmen towers.  (Read 6033 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksmen towers.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42:31 pm »

How would you build the roof, if you just used a down on z+1?

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:43:10 pm »

I doubt you're on soil but iirc you can't carve up/down in soil. for the aboveground stairs you might need a wall to support them, but I'm not too hot on above ground construction. :/

You're not too hot on below ground construction either. Soil can be carved into any type of stair. Stairs do not need support.
This is what you need to know about stairs: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Stairs
Ah, am I thinking of ramps or something? I'm tired lol ~.~

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:44:11 am »

An Unexpected Wrinkled: When instructed to man the tower, some of them instead charged the enemy and died.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:31 am »

hm, strange. Make sure the only entrance to the tower is a long underground one that links to your main fort-- and once they're inside forbid a door in that entrance.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:51:37 am »

My best guess is that he had not recieved a crossbow yet, and as such decided to be an idiot and try to punch a macelord in the face.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:03:11 am »

My best guess is that he had not recieved a crossbow yet, and as such decided to be an idiot and try to punch a macelord in the face.
Ouch. The design for the armour rack missile tower seems pretty good, though. My next towers are going to have the armour rack in the firing level as the barracks, the level underneath will be an armory which is mostly an ammo stockpile with just a few spare crossbows.

How's the fort holding up? Axelord still outside? :o

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 01:05:42 am »

Oh, the gobbo's were dispatched by a blast from the glory device. They should be subcuming to systemic necrosis within the next few minutes.

mr_coolface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 03:19:00 am »

I just use ramps. they do the same thing as stairs but are far easier to build

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 05:21:30 am »

There should be a bunch of resources on the wiki explaining how to construct towers, there certainly was for 0.31 though I dont know where it is for 0.34.

A fun point I havent seen mentioned in this thread yet that not many folks know:

Flyers can path diagonally on the z axis.  This is important when building towers if the higher stories are intended to be larger than the lower ones and trips up many a newer player (fliers are somewhat rare in vanilla, you may get away with it a dozen times till suddenly they are inside the tower.)

For some archery tower discussion you can also check the thread in my sig.  The original designs had some flaws but theres a lot of good discussion in there from various folks here on the forums.

I will add that whoever mentioned above putting bridges over forts to protect against elite ranged foes is right on the money, that was a key feature of my pillboxes.  (you can even have bridges up to hide marksdwarves by default, then a pressure plate to cause them to drop and reveal your rangers right when the enemy is in the killing field/crossfire)

Its a great idea to have the archery tower be your barracks (add an armor stand) since this means your guys will almost always be on station.

Good luck!
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:36 am »

In order to do the stairs the way you want, you'll build stairs on z1, then order the construction of stairs on z2, directly above the stairs on z1. The dwarves simply cannot construct anything until they have the second set of stairs. Even though the first is an up/down stair, they can't actually reach the second floor, until there's a matching stair on the next floor. The trick to the second floor is to build the flooring, and on the outside build another pair of stairs up to the roof. Build the roof, then deconstruct the stairs in reverse order, and fill the hole with a wall.

That said, I've stopped bothering with archer towers, and begun using pill boxes. Same idea as towers, but on z1 with the roof on z2. Then you can just use a down stair on the floor, and a ramp to reach the roof. Dig a two tile wide moat around it and your dwarves are perfectly safe. (Except for Elites, but just build raising bridges around the outside of the moat.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:04 am »

The two key things to remember with stairs is that the stair description tells you which direction they go from the current z-level, and to be able to move in both directions you need both an up and down stair between levels.

Myself, I'm planning to have marksdwarves patrolling my curtain wall, with the upper levels of the fortress being the only way in or out of that path (short of falling off into the pastures it surrounds). I just need to finish getting the wall made (working on the fortifications for the second level at the moment).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 09:23:45 am »

How would I build Scaffolding anyway? having troubles putting up the roof.

Scaffold:

Code: [Select]

>║║
 X
 X
><
<I

What I do is build a stairwell 1 space away from what I'm constructing.  Then a bridge between the stairs and the construction.  The bottom level of the stairwell is an up stair next to a support.  The next level has a down stair and an up stair built on top of the support.  Then when I'm done with the construction, I remove the up stiar at the bottom, link the support to a level and pull.  This is because dwarves bean themselves in the head now when deconstructing stairs.  And collapsing the stairs this way is faster.   Before that, remove the bridges.  As soon as the bridge deconstruction starts to turn back to Os, cancel the bridhe removal and it will automatically collapse.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 10:53:43 am »

Simple tower design here:

.......FFF.......  <==fortifications
.......FAF.......  <==armor stand made to be a barracks
.......F<F.......  <==stairs down
.......FFF.......
.................  <==channeled out ground to form dry moat

Assign a squad of marksdwarves to the barracks. Also ensure that the only way to access the bunker is through your fortress. No outside access allowed. To build a roof you will need to construct temporary up stairs and then down stairs at the roof level, but you can deconstruct them once the roof tiles are finished.

The moat serves two purposes. It keeps enemies from being able to fire into the bunker (exception being elites, elites are skilled enough they can fire through fortifications at any range, but it keeps the rabble from shooting back) and you can use dry moats to route a siege through a long, winding path while being shot at the entire time.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 10:59:48 am »

From what I've read, the diagonal z-axis issue only pops up when you have a situation like:

..#.___
...#...
#######

Invader comes in from left.  Sees a wall at 4 tiles in on Z+0, and a wall 3 tiles in on Z+1.

Because the top of the 1st floor wall has nothing above it, not even a constructed floor, it leaves a small gap.  Change that to as follows and it should be foolproof.

..#____
...#...
#######

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:42 am »

An Unexpected Wrinkled: When instructed to man the tower, some of them instead charged the enemy and died.

Did you use station or a burrow?
Pages: 1 [2] 3