Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No sieges? (+question about caravans)  (Read 2364 times)

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No sieges? (+question about caravans)
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »

My fortress is about to hit 200 dwarves, I had one siege in total. Is it possible that they won't attack at all? Are there any special conditions that must be met for goblins to consider my fortress a viable target? Ie. successful snatchers, iron armors, high enough luxury etc.?

I'm just getting quite bored, everything is going perfect except for lack of iron, all my dwarves are ecstatic, soldiers could use some live targets...

PS. My fort is in a such heavily forested area that no wagon can get here, hence merchants unload their goods and carry it themselves. One of such pilgrimages through the wilds got ambushed by goblins, before my, uhm, quick reaction dwarforce got there to mop up, merchant and his guards were dead. I'm not complaining since we got tons of good eq for free, but will this incident discourage future caravans?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:32:55 pm by Tres »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No sieges?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:59 pm »

Did you see goblins or any other hostile civilizations on the embark screen when you picked your embark site?

Do you have invasions turned off in the init file?

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No sieges?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:34:13 pm »

Did you see goblins or any other hostile civilizations on the embark screen when you picked your embark site?

Do you have invasions turned off in the init file?

I do have goblin civ under C and, as mentioned, they attacked once. Plus occasional snatchers that get caught in cages and executed by firing squad deep below as a live fire training.

I didn't fiddle at all with ini files so I guess I don't.

PS. I "accidentally" tried to sell wooden crafts to elven merchants, any chances that they will try to invade? My crossbowdwarves could use some pointy-ear target practice...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:36:44 pm by Tres »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No sieges? (+question about caravans)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:44:20 pm »

Sieges are very random. Sometimes you might get a new siege every season. Sometimes you might get nothing for a full year.

If you want to ensure your military is always busy you could create new hostile civilizations in the entities file. I do this and create a hostile human, elven, and even dwarven civilization in addition to the usual goblins, so there is plenty for my military to do.

Just to keep things from totally shutting down trade or scattering caravans everywhere I have hostile civs only appear in spring and summer. All caravans show up in autumn, and then they leave in winter.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:40 am »

you need to piss the elves off for a long time before they come attacking. Humans is easier, just repeatedly kill their diplomats as well as pissing off the caravans.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:39:22 am »

I think part of your problem is seiges and enemy attacks are party based off your exported wealth (can be viewed with Z I believe)
and it sounds like you are not trading much (caravan bypassing your innaccessable site, etc)

If you buy/sell a ton of stuff, it will attract a lot more attention than if you ignored the traders.
You need to let those outside your fort see how rich and valuable you have become.

Just as an example my current fort is around 2,500,000 and I get minimum 2 seiges a year.

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:34:22 am »

I think part of your problem is seiges and enemy attacks are party based off your exported wealth (can be viewed with Z I believe)
and it sounds like you are not trading much (caravan bypassing your innaccessable site, etc)

Oh, they are no bypassing, their wagons are. They carry the goods themselves to my depot.

But I guess I'll make a road to the edge of the map and see if that helps.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:12 am »

You probably don't need a road, although I'm not saying it's a bad idea. You can press "D" to see all the paths that are accessible to the traders. You may need to chop down trees to clear a path.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:48 pm »

A 3-tile wide PAVED road to the edge of your map ensures that caravans will always have a wagon accesible route to your fortress, without the need of continuous woodcutting. It also makes caravan arrival much more predictable, and you can build passive defences along the route. Keep the builders guarded though, since an ambush in the middle of your work force can prove very very Fun. I once lost 20 out of 50 dwarves total when two squads of goblins charged my masons and haulers. 10 of the deceased were active military members, mainly because they had to attack quickly adn unorganized.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

A 3-tile wide PAVED road to the edge of your map ensures that caravans will always have a wagon accesible route to your fortress, without the need of continuous woodcutting. It also makes caravan arrival much more predictable, and you can build passive defences along the route. Keep the builders guarded though, since an ambush in the middle of your work force can prove very very Fun. I once lost 20 out of 50 dwarves total when two squads of goblins charged my masons and haulers. 10 of the deceased were active military members, mainly because they had to attack quickly adn unorganized.

You can go further by making drawbridges along the entire perimeter of the map, and then raise the drawbridges. All of them.

Leave a gap where you want visitors to your fort to arrive. All visitors will then arrive there. This includes migrants, diplomats, caravans, and goblins.

This lets you funnel all visitors wherever you want them. You could then station traps there, or simply zone a barracks outside right at the entrance, and park a large military force there on active/training.

If the visitors are not hostile, your soldiers will continue to train and spar as normal. If the visitors are hostile, then the soldiers will continue to train and spar with their new sparring buddies.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »

:) and if the visitor is an towering steel bull, you get *dwarf head paste*.

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:44:52 pm »

Keep the builders guarded though, since an ambush in the middle of your work force can prove very very Fun.

Yeah, I did send my force recon to clear out the area first and keep patrolling after. Got some iron bows to melt now.

A 3-tile wide PAVED road to the edge of your map ensures that caravans will always have a wagon accesible route to your fortress, without the need of continuous woodcutting.

That's what I built, though under D everything is still red. No idea why.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:20 pm »

Caravans can't access stairs or cross traps, for instance.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:01 pm »

Start at your trade depot and see how far the green goes, or what stops the green. That will be the obstacle preventing wagons from showing up.

It could be something as simple as a single tree or a boulder that needs smoothing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 02:38:10 pm »

Caravans can't access stairs or cross traps, for instance.
Wagons cannot cross stairs, traps, or several other types of obstacles. Caravans in general, though, can navigate them just fine - the wagons will take a detour (or simply not show up), but the pack animals will make it through just fine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2