Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can minotaurs destroy floodgates?  (Read 1479 times)

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can minotaurs destroy floodgates?
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »

I had a minotaur closed off by floodgates.  Two of the floodgates are suddenly gone.  My dorfs can't get in there, so I know it wasn't them...

The room had a total of three floodgates, one to let water in, and another to let the water out, those are the ones that are gone, and the third, still in place and now quickly being walled off, is the fortress access.

Anyone know what could've happened to the floodgates?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:49:08 pm by pabrams »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can minotaurs destroy floodgates?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »

From the Minotaur RAWs (creature_standard.txt):

[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]

These are the more dangerous building destroyers (minotaur is a semimegabeast)
It will trash anything it can get at.  certainly anything you build (other than using the b-C menu, all items on that submenu are nondestroyable)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:52:11 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »

Oh.  I always seem to learn things the hard way in this game...  I guess I should count my dorfs lucky she left the critical floodgate for last.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:59:12 am »

it's why it's advisable for security to leave at least one drawbridge in water supplies and such, so you can close it off with something that can't be destroyed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:01:47 am »

From the Minotaur RAWs (creature_standard.txt):

[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]

These are the more dangerous building destroyers (minotaur is a semimegabeast)
It will trash anything it can get at.  certainly anything you build (other than using the b-C menu, all items on that submenu are nondestroyable)

Raised bridges are nondestroyable too, aren't they?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:05:43 am »

Raised bridges are still destructable, but megabeasts just can't path to them anymore. For example, a raised bridge will be destroyed if it's hit by a misaimedjet of dragonfire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:17:03 am »

Raised bridges are still destructable, but megabeasts just can't path to them anymore. For example, a raised bridge will be destroyed if it's hit by a misaimedjet of dragonfire.
There are several ways that bridges can be destroyed (trying to atomsmash a very large creature, or being superheated enough such that its building materials melt), but those methods have nothing to do with building destroyers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24:56 am »

Somewhat off the OP but related to Quietust above.

I was under the (clearly misguided) opinion that it was the buildingdestroyer tag that made creatures dismantle a bridge when attempting to atomsmash them.  It seems that its a size threshold instead then.  Always good to find a quietust post to dispell a little myth :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:28:22 am »

Somewhat off the OP but related to Quietust above.

I was under the (clearly misguided) opinion that it was the buildingdestroyer tag that made creatures dismantle a bridge when attempting to atomsmash them.  It seems that its a size threshold instead then.  Always good to find a quietust post to dispell a little myth :)

I thought everyone knew this and never saw it mentioned anywhere, though I havnt looked too closely at some of the other subforums, so it might have been a myth limited to a group of 1
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 02:16:52 pm »

How come the minotaur didn't drown? By the way, do non-amphibian building destroyers smash completely submerged floodgates while standing in 7/7 deep water themselves? I had a massive siege and all the trolls ignored my clearly exposed floodgate controlling pretty much the whole damn river.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 01:34:18 pm »

How come the minotaur didn't drown? By the way, do non-amphibian building destroyers smash completely submerged floodgates while standing in 7/7 deep water themselves? I had a massive siege and all the trolls ignored my clearly exposed floodgate controlling pretty much the whole damn river.

if they're submerged and don't have an exit, probably. Note that the flood gate to let the water out was also smashed

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

Ah, right I missed that.