Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Stuck issue  (Read 1471 times)

Jankomatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Stuck issue
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:16 pm »

First let me say I am pretty new to DF.  Below are three screen shots, first is the dwarf in question, second is one layer up and third is one layer down.  The dwarf just wonders around, he won't go back to base or dig anywhere around where you can see I have marked for him to dig.  He isn't possessed that I can tell and my one other miner won't dig down to him.  What am I missing and is there a way I can get the game to tell me what he is at least trying to do?

Thanks
Wes

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Stuck issue
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

First guess: Any burrows active?

Have you designated to dig a stair so that the miner could escape? You could also try to temporarily disable the miner labor on your second miner so that the only remaining miner would have to dig his way out (he should do that anyway unless he is on break, check the (u)nit list).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:16:25 pm by Laurin »

Jankomatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »

I have never created a burrow, is there a way to check if I have one on accident?  From the game job list, it says Hunt for Small creature.  No idea why or how to make him stop that though.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:44:42 pm »

I have never created a burrow, is there a way to check if I have one on accident?  From the game job list, it says Hunt for Small creature.  No idea why or how to make him stop that though.
Use w to find out if you've created a burrow.
Hunt for Small Creature is the job created when you order dwarves to tame a small creature, a job created at the Kennels. Did you build a Kennel and then order the job "Tame small creature"?

Final question: Based on the tileset, it looks like you might be using a mod. Care to provide more information on the tileset/mod you're using?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:47:25 pm »

"Hunt for Small Creature" means the dwarf is starving and is looking for vermin to eat.

Jankomatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:34 pm »

I do not have a kennel for sure and no burrows.

If he is starving, why doesn't he go back to base and eat?  There is food there.  Is there a way for me to feed him?

I believe this is the Ironhand graphic tileset.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »

If the dwarf is indeed starving and is not going back to base to eat (ie. food stockpiles), that means you might have destroyed the connection between where he is and the base. Try designating something for construction near your dwarf and see if anyone can reach it to build it.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:50:43 pm »

Also, check to make sure all of your stairs are connected properly (an [Up/]Down stair above every Up[/Down] stair) and that your ramps are not "unusable".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:50 am »

As I said before: Dig some new stairs (up stairs from where he just is, right into the wall and then up/down stairs on the same spot in the next level). Do the same from above or below where your other miner is.
You probably have somewho destroyed the connection between levels and you need to dig/build them anew.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:00 am »

and as long as he's hunting vermin he isn't going to do any digging... in the pics? is the cave flooding with water?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:37 am »

Well, then the other miner should dig a stair to his fellow. Can't be that difficult. ^^

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:01 am »

Is your other miner busy digging elsewhere? Can your other miner dig anywhere at all?

What you likely did is dug out the wall supporting the ramp that your miner used to get to the dig area.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »

Yes, had that happen in one of my first fortresses. ^^