Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is this cheat viable?  (Read 4809 times)

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is this cheat viable?
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:59 am »

basicly, do you think that taking as much stuff with you as you can when you embark [with advanced world generation set to maximum number of points], insta-abdandon, and then repeat fourty or fifty times is an efficient way to play.

i've tested it and it seems everything stays in the wagon [not sure about food or livestock though], just wondering if more experienced players consider it to be a good way to set up a fortress quickly giving more time to figure out the basic features [like farming] and a start on learning the more advanced stuff before a fortress starves to death or gets slaughtered by goblins.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: is this cheat viable?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:51 am »

It is a tactic used occasionaly.  Especialy by those beginning a large megaproject who do not wish to wait for their fortress to reach the point where you can harvest material yourself.

There will be some considerable itemscatter when abandoning like this, there is a DF-Hack command to facilitate this however, i believe it is called 'lair'.  The result anyway is that the site becomes tagged as a lair by the game and items will not scatter at all.

Edit: Its odd that you reported no scatter at all, perhaps this is due to the items still being on the wagon itself.

Either way, how you play the game is up to you, this will definatly work if you feel you need so many supplies at the beginning of the game.  Personally I have little trouble bringing a years supply of food and booze even on default embark points.  Though this becomes trickier if you wish to arrive with bulk stone/wood or metal ores/bars/weapons/armor, as these items are very expensive at embark.

For learning how to play the game i'd suggest a quick practice fort with invaders off (no goblins) for you to experiment with farming and alcohol.  Then another with invaders on to learn military and traps.  The amounts of goods you are describing are such overkill that I doubt you will learn much that could be applied to a standard embark.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:34:18 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:51 am »

I support the people who say that there is no cheating. How you play the game is up to you, don't worry about others. Just remember that people will not be impressed if you defeated a goblins siege with just 10 dwarfs if you first modded out all weapons for goblins.

But if that is what makes the game fun for you, feel free. Since there is no real way to "win" there is no way to cheat to win
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:57:57 am »

My observations, based on repeated attempts to reclaim a fortress infested by FBs, agree with the OP that material left inside an embark wagon won't scatter on reclaim.  It's too bad that Dwarves won't equip themselves from said wagons quickly enough to survive an attack by FBs, but oh well.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:41:46 am »

This seems extremely undwarfy, but it's totally up to you.  If you want to learn the game why not embark in a low-savagery area, or turn off Inavaders until you are comfortable?  Even with standard embark points you can take more than enough food to last you a year, plus stone, fuel, coal, ore, wood, whatever you may need.

I mean.....embarking forty or fifty times?  This seems waaaaaay over the top to me.  Once you're done embarking over and over and over your initial seven dwarves are going to be hauling all that crap for months on end.  There's only so much that seven dwarves can handle, I can't imagine needing all those materials, and trying to manage it all (and keep them from getting stolen) will be pretty tough for a newbie.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »

It's all up to you really, but I find that simply increasing world gen embark points to maximum would already give you way more stuff then you actually need in a fortress at the start, especially if you turn invaders off.

Also if you are having problems getting food then embark in a place with soil with 50 plump helmet seeds and two proficient growers. Dig down into the soil, dig a 10x10 farm plot, and then set plump helmets to be grown in all four seasons. Then turn off all other labors on your growers except for planting. That alone will provide you with enough food to support a fortress of 100 dwarves, no problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »

This seems extremely undwarfy, but it's totally up to you.  If you want to learn the game why not embark in a low-savagery area, or turn off Inavaders until you are comfortable?  Even with standard embark points you can take more than enough food to last you a year, plus stone, fuel, coal, ore, wood, whatever you may need.

1. i've played with advanced worldgen enough to set the savegaary to zero and increase the number of serene.

2. i'm not sure how to turn invaders off, i'll go look on the wiki to see if I can find something.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »

You can also use cheatengine or artmoney to search for points before you hit the 'e'mbark key and give yourself everything in one go.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:26:01 am »

i often do this combined with extra embark dwarves when i abandon a large fort due to fps and want to start another one from where i left, designed to facilitate pathfinding. i kind of feel starting the regular way is easier though, early game is quite a lot simpler and casual funny(as oposed to hardcore fun and df fun) than late game

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 02:28:58 am »

If you do it 50 times your going to have 350 dwarf corpses to deal with, your better off generating a new world and upping your embark points as high as you need.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:01:06 am »

It could work for getting a lot of stuff, but I don't think it will buy time for learning anything useful.  Anything you learn will be so far removed from legitimate conditions as to have no relation.  This is like deciding to learn how to fight by standing in front of a punching bag and swinging clumsily until you feel confident, and nothing else.  You take the technique and reflexes you picked up there, and try to apply them to a deliberately moving target which is also attacking, and you're going to get knocked around so hard and fast you'll forget what year it is.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 05:10:04 am »

extra embark dwarves

how do you do this? I thought seven was the limit.

If you do it 50 times your going to have 350 dwarf corpses to deal with, your better off generating a new world and upping your embark points as high as you need.

is it possible to go higher than  ten thousand points?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 05:30:24 am »

No you arent. Upon abandoning, dwarves do not drop dead.
This is a blank sig.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:30:06 am »

extra embark dwarves

how do you do this? I thought seven was the limit.

Its a hack.  I cant recall the name of the application right now, someone can hopefully post it, but a few years back someone using a memory editor found out how to boost the embark dwarves.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 11:08:46 am »

simple embark tool in dfusion plugin for dfhack
Pages: [1] 2