Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companions, in the way, all the time, help?  (Read 1037 times)

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companions, in the way, all the time, help?
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:56 am »

Thanks to friendly forumers, I've gotten a great start on DF (raised quite a few skills to Legendary, the two most important to me being Ambusher and Wrestler).

I need to further train on things, and a fortress happened to become my enemy, and has some lingering insertweaponnamehere-men around, which will attack me and make perfect practice for Striking and Kicking after disarming and mercilessly breaking their hands.

The problem is, wrestling becomes a hassle when companions get close enough to me for targeted attacking to put them in the list. I almost wrestled my companions more than once, and I'm considering doing it at this point if they continue to get in my way. It's not like they're helping me fight at all right now anyway.

Any way to tell them to sit somewhere? I don't want to make ANOTHER fortress my enemy. If not, any suggestions on how I can get them killed so I can return to training? (It's not evil, it's for the XP  :P)

Thanks for reading my thread and taking interest in helping me out (again). I'm now thoroughly enjoying the game, although I've still got things to figure out and discover. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Companions, in the way, all the time, help?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:23:53 am »

It's a hassle?

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:38 am »

It's a hassle?

NOTHING ambushes me. I'm serious, NOTHING. I even wandered around at night, I don't get anything attacking me. Come to think of it, my Observer skill has never revealed itself on the few occasions before when I USED to get ambushed. I can't even tell if I have the skill, or if I'll ever have it.

I have nothing to fight so I'm just looking for things to train. The enemy fortress works good in my case, but my companions don't fight them, even when they are bashing on me first. They just end up crowding me and putting themselves on my wrestling select list, and it's a bit irritating when I have to quickly disable an opponent.

So yeah, it's a hassle. :P

But then I take it that I really do have to get them killed to get rid of them?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:35:57 am »

Perhaps you should go visit necromancer towers, dungeons or something of that like?

Oh and word of advice, attacking your companions makes you an enemy of whatever civ they belonged to for life.

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:25 am »

Perhaps you should go visit necromancer towers, dungeons or something of that like?

Soon as I can find some. I'm still not quite used to the navigation system region-wise.

Oh and word of advice, attacking your companions makes you an enemy of whatever civ they belonged to for life.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way, ergo why I can train on a fortress.  :P

Thanks for the help. *Goes to send his companions off to a kobold death*

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:42:47 pm »

Do you have some Swimming skills? Then you could go into a river, wait until they follow you and wait for them to drown. Watch out for insta-ice!

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »

Do you have some Swimming skills? Then you could go into a river, wait until they follow you and wait for them to drown. Watch out for insta-ice!

That's the best part: They can swim, too. I stayed in a body of water, waiting it out through the entire night, starting from dusk until dawn. (I never froze. Ever. I was doing it to test if I'd freeze. Something must be wrong with my game). So no dice on that one.

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 05:47:48 am »

Try to find a waterfall, then cross the river close to it's lip. Be careful not to go to close. I do it quite often to get rid of companions I am sick of.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 05:55:32 am »

If you ditch your companions you will get ambushed by bogeymen. The one thing I notice forumers hate the most next to "kill stealing" is bogeyman.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:15 am »

If you ditch your companions you will get ambushed by bogeymen. The one thing I notice forumers hate the most next to "kill stealing" is bogeyman.
Bogeymen are easy to avoid if you know how. Although they will kill you if you're a young adventurer...

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:05:37 am »

Yes, but eventually one will probably get a lucky shot in, not to mention they are annoying. You only need one companion to make them go away however.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:53 am »

Yes, but eventually one will probably get a lucky shot in
Well generally bogeymen don't need luck to kill you...