Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No caravan brings wood any more  (Read 1267 times)

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No caravan brings wood any more
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:19 am »

Nobody has brought any logs to my fort in a long, long time.  Is there anything I can do about this?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No caravan brings wood any more
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:26:41 am »

You could post in DF Gameplay Questions instead of DF Suggestions.  You could also try using up the wood you already have.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:18:02 am »

Nobody has brought any logs to my fort in a long, long time.  Is there anything I can do about this?
Well, that only makes sense. Nobody's going to haul heavy logs all the way to your fortress for 3☼.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »

I've had caravans bring wood in the current version of the game.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:42:44 pm »

You could post in DF Gameplay Questions instead of DF Suggestions.  You could also try using up the wood you already have.

Sorry about that.  I must have posted this here by mistake.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:52 am »

Caravans will only bring logs if you have free space in wood stockpile.

So either designate bigger stockpiles or use up some wood.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:59:57 pm »

I have a large 31x31 wood stockpile and when i get down to 2 or 3 rows full the caravans show up with logs. Either it's a fixed number (100 logs) or an empty stockpile, not sure which. Just use it up and they will definetly bring you more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:53:25 am »

Or specifically ask for logs, that should help.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 08:17:38 am »

Caravans will only bring logs if you have free space in wood stockpile.

So either designate bigger stockpiles or use up some wood.
Wrong - they bring wood based on how many (unforbidden) logs you have, not how much room you have in your stockpiles. Either use up your existing wood logs or forbid the ones you've got and the next caravan should bring plenty.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:27:46 am »

I always found it a good trick to use up (currently) spare logs and (currently) unemployed labour to make wooden stockades to extend my sphere of influence on the embark area.  Usually several abutting layers of wall, building from inside to out as much as possible.  It uses up wood, disguises the fact that one has wood from the elves (when that mattered), and when wood was required again they could be deconstructed from the inside first, giving larger internal areas while still protected against (ground-hugging) external threats.

The elf-revenge issue isn't (in unpoked vanilla versions of the game) an issue any more, but the rest still applies, and might help you out in your current problem.  And if it doesn't, you might still gain from it.