Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I found a couple of dwarven thoughts not on the wiki...  (Read 1796 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
I found a couple of dwarven thoughts not on the wiki...
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:44:58 pm »

Oh come on, those elk birds were like a zillion years old and you weren't even assigned to any of them. They would have died anyway in a couple of years, and this way we get the meat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He went from Unhappy (about 26?) to Miserable when I slaughtered the last elk bird (not the masterfully trained one, but one of the exceptionally trained ones), but he's just bounced back up to Very Unhappy (3) so he can't have gone that far into the negatives. But I'm going to cage and release him anyway, because he and one other dwarf have been doing this for half a decade and he's still only at Great. The other trainer has some bad thoughts about losing an animal training partner to tragedy, but not the one about forming a bond. He went down to Fine. Previously the whole fort was Content at worst, so the hit can be significant. Oops.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: I found a couple of dwarven thoughts not on the wiki...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:56:01 am »

It's probably a new set of thoughts from after the animal training update (the one where you can assign specific trainers to animals).
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:45 am »

So if i assign a dwarf to tame and train all the animals, when I butcher them, he may go insane?
So I have to butcher them one by one, and ...
The best trait for animal trainer is
...prefer to consume quarry bush leaves and dwarven wine.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:41:03 am »

Why would you butcher trained animals anyway?

The only animals worth training into war or hunting animals get assigned to military or outside working dwarves.

All livestock animals never get any training (in my fortress). Usually I also don't train female dogs or grizzly bears or whatever.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:23 am »

For !!SCIENCE!!? I know I butchered non-tame trained ravens to get all newborn ravens to be tame.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 06:26:06 am »

You can see if  a dwarf has bonded with an animal on the relationships screen.

I have a fort with a dwarf who bonded to a voracious cave crawler. That and the leopard he has also bonded with are now chained up somewhere away from any kind of danger except the kind that will have already wrecked my fort by the time it reaches them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:33:50 am »

My mayor adopted the resident Giant Desert Scorpion. Not really sure what to make of that.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:00 am »

Why would you butcher trained animals anyway?

I dunno about the original poster, but I do it because my dwarves never seem to get around to butchering wild animals. It's way more micromanagement to cage wild animals, release them and have my military kill them than to queue up a train animal job and eventually a butcher animal job.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:32 am »

I wonder what would happen if the animal trainer was also the butcher?
Urist McButcher took joy in slaughter recently. Lost an animal training partner to tragedy recently. Witnessed a death recently. Forced to endure the decay of an animal training partner recently.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:30 am »

They're not trained for war or hunting, they're trained for non-aggression towards dwarves. They're not tamed either, that's only the offspring. I butchered them because they were getting old and one had died already.

So if i assign a dwarf to tame and train all the animals, when I butcher them, he may go insane?
You don't even need to assign a particular dwarf. I set all animals to 'any trainer'. The bugats and crundles I tamed just to take them to the butcher's shop more easily don't show up on either of the trainers' relationship screens, so a single training session won't result in any bonds.

This guy has more animal friends than dwarven friends. Good job the rest of his bonded animals are either the long-lived sort or have another half a decade in them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:44:03 am »

There were 2 thoughts missing from the wiki, and they've been added: "has lost an animal training partner to tragedy recently" and "formed a bond with an animal training partner recently".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:27:43 am »

Is that the only two? I also updated the animal training page.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »

Ive found that caged wild animals wont get butchered unless theyve been trained. I set all new captured wild animals to any trainer and butcher. They get their training and are immediately slaughtered, often by the dwarf who trained them :P. This gives lots of experience to animal trainers while providing a good supply of bones/meat/leather. IIRC it takes several training sessions for a dwarf to bond to an animal.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.